Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I came second in the only tournament I entered during my first MtG phase (Stronghold-Scourge). At 14, I entered a local Type 2 tournament with the relatively casual crowd that occupied my FLGS, and one rear end in a top hat (that none of us had ever seen before) with a £200+ millstone deck. Everything fell to my horribly janky UW Teferi's Moat control deck.

Teferi's Moat is pretty much my favourite card. It served as a lesson to my brother, who refused to change his deck style (mono-G Ramp) from his first constructed deck (Spikes) all the way up to mid-Invasion block. I'd gotten sick of it, traded for some Moats and whipped him every game. It took him until I'd all but given up the game to think "maybe I could change up my deck to fight the person I play 50% of my matches with".

My tournament deck attempt was horrible. I'd had to remove my counterspells, and some other stuff (as they rotated out), and so I replaced them with a soft lock using Temporal Adept and Delaying Shield. Janky as gently caress, but no-one expected me stopping ALL damage at all times.

So yeah, Teferi's Moat:

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
New favourite card art, courtesy of Autocard Anywhere popping up on another (unrelated) thread. Shame the card isn't exactly useful (Silhouette), but there you go. I love this little guy.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Jabor posted:

Doing stuff with your library as a drawback is pretty bad rules-wise - Magic tries very hard to avoid relying on the honor system, and explicitly allows you to "fail to find" a specific card in your library even if it's actually there. And I don't see anything that doing it this way actually gains you over just exiling the first spell and not being able to cast other spells with the same name.

Rules-wise it's not hard to come up with a way to do it. Though there's no reason to do so (as you said), I'd template it as either:
"When you cast ~, you may exile three cards from your hand or library with the same name as ~. Otherwise, counter ~."
Or:
"As an additional cost to cast ~, exile up to three cards from your hand or library with the same name as ~. For each card exiled this way, do ..."

More interesting design space might be in the opposite direction - a Squadron Hawk instant or sorcery:
"When you successfully cast ~, you may search your library for up to three cards named ~, reveal them, and put it into your hand".
Or a Llanowar Sentinel version:
"When you cast ~, you may pay X. If you do, search your library for a card named ~, and put it onto the stack".

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Ugh wtf am I supposed to do with this.

Just stick some green felt over the whole of the front of it. (Or any other card-playing surface you like). Maybe paint some blackjack details on there. Instant tasteful playmat. Or ebay the loving thing - it's pretty horrendous, but there's got to be some sweaty jorts wearer that would pay for it.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

qbert posted:

Rules question: If my opponent resolves a Golgari Charm giving everything -1/-1 until end of turn, and then later in the turn I resolve a Polymorphist's Jest on his creatures, does everything immediately die?

Everything that was affected by Golgari Charm, yes.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Rules Question: If I return a Goblin Kaboomist to the battlefield at the start of my Upkeep (using Rescue from the Underworld), will it's landmine making ability trigger, or not? I assume not, but I'd like confirmation.

VVV I thought as much, thanks.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I doubt it'll be good enough to be a thing; but Raid works really well with Prophetic Flamespeaker (and since I bought four before M15 and the Rabblemaster, I quite like that little guy). I really hope there's going to be a second cheap red raid guy for that.

• Locked thread