Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Child of Light is a JRPG developed by Ubisoft Montreal about a girl named Aurora and a mystical land called Lemuria. It's one of the games made using Ubisoft's "Ubi-art" framework, an engine that makes it incredibly easy to incorporate art assets into 2D games. And it shows. The game is absolutely gorgeous.

On the gameplay side of things, Child of Light uses a semi-turn based battle system with realtime elements, similar to the battle systems in Final Fantasy or Grandia 2. The creative team behind the game is made up of a number of designers from Far Cry 3, meaning the game has a shitton of items, a shitton of crafting, and more skilltrees than you could ever need. Or want.

Stylistically, Child of Light takes inspiration from a number of JRPGs, including Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, and Grandia 2. In addition, the game draws artistic inspiration from the works of Studio Ghibli and, more importantly, Yoshitaka Amano of the Final Fantasy series. The game also uses the ABCB rhyming scheme used in "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" for all of it dialogue.

Child of Light is available on PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, Steam, and Uplay. The Steam version uses Uplay, so make sure you have an account.

Videos:

Announcement Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXBbB4sfEpQ

Gameplay Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiyIHm6qxrM

Interview with writer Jeffrey Yohalem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw7shkOpjZg

Gameplay Footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OibB43zffI

Co-op Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6cB5FRCjfY

Making of the Sound Design/World Design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHg9TaCo1Tc

Deluxe Edition Stuff:

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Really want this, but not enough to put up with uPlay. Maybe since South Park is uPlay free this has a chance, but I doubt it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
This game looks gorgeous and I cannot wait. The gameplay seems to be things that'll get its claws into my lizard brain too.

Unfortunatly

AlmightyBob posted:

Really want this, but not enough to put up with uPlay. Maybe since South Park is uPlay free this has a chance, but I doubt it.

Is a perfectly valid excuse to not buy it, which is a damned shame since if it bombs cause of UPlay, Ubi will just blame the developers and probably kill any other games similar to it.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Leper Residue posted:

This game looks gorgeous and I cannot wait. The gameplay seems to be things that'll get its claws into my lizard brain too.

Unfortunatly

Is a perfectly valid excuse to not buy it, which is a damned shame since if it bombs cause of UPlay, Ubi will just blame the developers and probably kill any other games similar to it.

I have been waiting for this since the reveal trailer, but I've had nothing but problems with uPlay and just won't deal with it anymore.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Pretty much the same deal, the game looks amazing but UPlay can eat a dick.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

It's also releasing on next-gen consoles and, with any luck, people will be so starved for a game to play on their system that it'll do well there.

I've never had an issue with Uplay, but I can see how people would really be against it. There have been non-uplay Ubisoft games, though, like Rayman Origins, so I'm holding out hope for that.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Lance Streetman posted:

It's also releasing on next-gen consoles and, with any luck, people will be so starved for a game to play on their system that it'll do well there.

I've never had an issue with Uplay, but I can see how people would really be against it. There have been non-uplay Ubisoft games, though, like Rayman Origins, so I'm holding out hope for that.

It's already pretty much confirmed. GMG lists it as uPlay, and one of the developers said on the Steam forums he was pretty sure it would uPlay (and then said not buying the game because of that is the same as saying the game sucks)

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Just pre-ordered this on Steam, this looks loving amazing and I have flashbacks of Aquaria watching the trailers. I'm disappointed about UPlay but here's to hoping it doesn't make it utter poo poo.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

There'll be a deluxe edition of this in Europe including extra content, an artbook, and what I believe is a keyring light.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
PS3 and PS4 cross-buy? That's neat. Is this the first instance of a "big" publisher using cross-buy?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

PS3 and PS4 cross-buy? That's neat. Is this the first instance of a "big" publisher using cross-buy?

Apparently Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time was cross-buy, as well as Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale. Haven't heard of any major publisher doing PS3/PS4 crossbuy, though.

gschmidl posted:

There'll be a deluxe edition of this in Europe including extra content, an artbook, and what I believe is a keyring light.

Maaaan, I want this so bad. Shame there isn't an NA version of that edition.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 23, 2014

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lance Streetman posted:

Maaaan, I want this so bad. Shame there isn't an NA version of that edition.

Amazon Germany has them for pre-order and ships internationally, if you want. Your .com account will work. If you need help (or anyone else wants to do it and can't figure it out) I can post a "tutorial".

e: or .co.uk, I guess, since this may be in German.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 23, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Since the trailer I've been anxiously waiting for this one to come out, but the price tag (It's £12) makes me think it's REALLY short, I'm quite confused by it being so shockingly cheap.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Taear posted:

Since the trailer I've been anxiously waiting for this one to come out, but the price tag (It's £12) makes me think it's REALLY short, I'm quite confused by it being so shockingly cheap.

Supposedly, the Ubiart framework lets them drastically cut down on development costs. So the price doesn't really indicated anything about the game's length. Hopefully it's a decent enough length.

Also, there's now a pre-order bonus. And it kinda sucks.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 1, 2014

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lance Streetman posted:

Also, there's now a pre-order bonus. And it kinda sucks.

Man, they have no trust in the US market at all. I think the M&M X physical edition is also Europe only.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
So there's basically no chance for a physical disc release of this on Wii U, right? :(

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Man, the game looks absolutely gorgeous, it's like a vanillaware (or Aquaria, like Rynn mentioned) game only I dont feel like a weirdo for playing it. I really hope it does well, especially since it's coming out at a sweet spot where neither PS3 owners nor PS4 owners have many other games to buy right now.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

New video on the sound design and world design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHg9TaCo1Tc

Apparently they worked with Cirque du Soleil to help make the world feel unique. I didn't think I could get more hyped for the game, but here we are.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Neurolimal posted:

Man, the game looks absolutely gorgeous, it's like a vanillaware (or Aquaria, like Rynn mentioned) game only I dont feel like a weirdo for playing it. I really hope it does well, especially since it's coming out at a sweet spot where neither PS3 owners nor PS4 owners have many other games to buy right now.

This is also true for Wii U owners. I know this game isn't going to save the console, but I'm really looking forward to it all the same.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

More stuff has been revealed about the deluxe edition bonuses:

Golem Pack:

* an additional mission for your adventure
* free the golem and add him as a party member
* exclusive rune
* rune pack to improve your skills

Dark Aurora Pack:

* exclusive skin for Aurora
* MP stardust
* Defense stardust
* Magic Resistance stardust

There's also a pre-order "Light Aurora" pack on Ubi's shop; not clear if that, too, is included:

* exclusive skin for Aurora
* new skill for Aurora: HEAL

e: also a new video: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/meet-aurora-child-of-light-s-heroine/2300-8791/

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 25, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Blind bought this when I heard Coeur de Pirate was doing the music. Any idea as to its length?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Irish Joe posted:

Blind bought this when I heard Coeur de Pirate was doing the music. Any idea as to its length?

Developer states 8-10 hours. I'm going to assume 6-7 if you do *everything*.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So there's no physical copies of the game being made, even with the deluxe edition?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Feenix posted:

Depends on how dense the sidequests are. If it's just the main plot and a few sidequests, I'd guess probably about 6-7. But most JRPGs take longer than the estimated time if you do everything, and this is cribbing from JRPGs pretty hard.

Either way, I'm glad to hear it won't be too long. Wouldn't want this to get shoved to the back of my backlog.

The Taint Reaper posted:

So there's no physical copies of the game being made, even with the deluxe edition?

Doesn't seem like it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Taint Reaper posted:

The deluxe box states it contains the game, but I'm going to assume it'll just be a code like they did for M&M X.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Speaking of codes, here's a 20% off code for Green Man Gaming:

FUSWJT-B1DU64-JBV8UY

e: I also don't want to triple-post, so here's a review:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/28/5660926/child-of-light-review

e2: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-28-child-of-light-review

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 28, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Feenix posted:

Aww what - so the low price DOES mean it's a really short game? It looks really nice but that's an incredibly short gaming time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Taear posted:

Aww what - so the low price DOES mean it's a really short game? It looks really nice but that's an incredibly short gaming time.

Not these days. And what else do you think you were paying an incredibly low price... FOR?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Feenix posted:

Not these days. And what else do you think you were paying an incredibly low price... FOR?

I asked earlier in this one page thread and someone said that it'd be long, just scroll up a bit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

One of the reviewers said 10-12. It also has a new game+ mode that ups the difficulty a decent extent.

The price of a 3D movie ticket for 8-12 hours of gameplay isn't a bad deal either but I'm a quality over quantity person.

EDIT: I also haven't had a single issue with modern uPlay. It was horrible a few years back but it's quite unobtrusive as long as you turn off the buggy cloud saving.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Taear posted:

I asked earlier in this one page thread and someone said that it'd be long, just scroll up a bit.

I said I hoped it was a decent enough length. Anything above 7 hours is a decent length for me. I said it before, but I'm glad it isn't too long. I don't exactly have the time for an 80+ hour RPG between school and work.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'll take an RPG that is 10 hours of content instead of a 20 hour RPG that is filled with 10 hours of travelling.

That's my hope anyway.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

I'll take an RPG that is 10 hours of content instead of a 20 hour RPG that is filled with 10 hours of travelling.

See: Bravely Default. Good game but terribly overloaded with obvious padding.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Played this for a couple of hours last night, my thoughts so far...

-Man this game is pretty. I know that shouldn't be much of a surprise, but there you go.

-The soundtrack is suitably great too, it's a lot of piano and violin pieces, which fit the fairytale aesthetic.

-They do try to rhyme with just about every piece of dialog and sometimes it comes off as a bit... forced. It's still pretty charming more often than not, though.

-The turn-based battles are indeed pretty similar to Grandia. It really makes you strategize when exactly to strike and when to fall back and defend.

All in all, I'm having a pretty good time with it so far!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

psychoJ posted:

-The turn-based battles are indeed pretty similar to Grandia. It really makes you strategize when exactly to strike and when to fall back and defend.

Is there anything as goofy as the Puffy rah rah?

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Azubah posted:

Is there anything as goofy as the Puffy rah rah?

No, unfortunately. All of the combat animations so far are pretty basic.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I preordered this on my PS4 and I want to play it dammit, but I'm stuck at work :(

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is it on consoles already? Steam doesn't unlock until tomorrow

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's up on Wii U already, I played it for about an hour. Seems solid enough, though I'm not sure if the RPG elements are going to be strong enough to take it through the entire game, because I beat the first boss on hard and if you don't have the mechanics down by then, you will lose. Does it really add anything else, aside from additional party members?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

gently caress, really? drat, PC has to wait until tomorrow.

• Locked thread