Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Is it on consoles already? Steam doesn't unlock until tomorrow

PSN said it was releasing on 4/29.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't think it's officially out in the UK yet but I got my collectors edition today and PSN took the code fine. Haven't had much time to play it but I kind of like the rhyming prose, it's occasionally clunky but in an endearing sort of way.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Rascyc posted:

Is it on consoles already? Steam doesn't unlock until tomorrow

Yep, it released at 12 AM EST last night on PSN. Which means it released at around 9 for the west coast. :getin:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So as far as I can tell, it is available on:
  • PS3
  • PS4
  • Wii U
It is not yet available on:
  • Xbox One
  • PC
Don't know about Xbox 360. This is all based on the availablity listings on Gamestop, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The PC boxed copies shipped today. I assume I'll get mine by Friday, though Labor Day could throw this off until Monday. :argh:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lance Streetman posted:

gently caress, really? drat, PC has to wait until tomorrow.

CONSOLE MASTER RACE, HAH!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
YO! Hold the fuckin phone... I just played like an hour and a half of Child of Light.... quit and it said unsaved changes would be lost (Standard warning) but did not see where I could save... assumed autosave. Nope. Guess who gets to start over.

Edit: Ok so I started a game, stepped 10 feet forward and quit... came back and it asked me if I wanted to continue. So it IS an Autosave... Which means you have no control and clearly it has bugs.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 29, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
ohmygosh this game is so goddamn charming. :3:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Feenix posted:

YO! Hold the fuckin phone... I just played like an hour and a half of Child of Light.... quit and it said unsaved changes would be lost (Standard warning) but did not see where I could save... assumed autosave. Nope. Guess who gets to start over.

Edit: Ok so I started a game, stepped 10 feet forward and quit... came back and it asked me if I wanted to continue. So it IS an Autosave... Which means you have no control and clearly it has bugs.

So I figured out the issue, I think... it's not a bug in the game but it is definitely a potentially BIGGER issue.

I downloaded the demo and then from IN-GAME I purchased it, then started over. I guess now I am getting Trophies that I should have, but didn't get before. SO BE WARNED. If you start with a demo, even if you purchase... even if you only played 5 seconds as a demo... that run (until you quit to XMB) will be non-saveable, non-trophyable.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Feenix posted:

So I figured out the issue, I think... it's not a bug in the game but it is definitely a potentially BIGGER issue.

I downloaded the demo and then from IN-GAME I purchased it, then started over. I guess now I am getting Trophies that I should have, but didn't get before. SO BE WARNED. If you start with a demo, even if you purchase... even if you only played 5 seconds as a demo... that run (until you quit to XMB) will be non-saveable, non-trophyable.

But I just ran mine straight from buying and have been getting trophies just fine. Might want to check that it's autosaving though before I get too far...

EDIT: Oh, wait, actually I went to check out what Uplay had for it first and got a couple of things using my Black Flag points. That might be why it's been working right, it has to quit out of the game to go to Uplay.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 29, 2014

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Played a couple hours after work and this game is everything that I hoped it would be. The music is fantastic, the artwork and animations are magical, and the battle system is a blast. Definitely worth $15.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
How annoying - I assumed it'd unlock at the same time for everything so I bought it on my PC rather than my Wii U. It's April 30th for me (and has been for 3 hours!) it's so stupid that Steam only recognises US times.
It's ubisoft's France office dammit!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Looks like it's now up on Steam.

Oh Ubisoft.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

gschmidl posted:

Looks like it's now up on Steam.

Oh Ubisoft.

That Golem pack is uh.

Like I preordered the game to support them, and have been waiting to play this. I'm still excited, but seeing a $3 story content DLC show up on the store page as I'm downloading it really takes something from it. Gameplay DLC barely matters, it's usually all gone within the first hour, but first day story DLC?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The golem pack is a preorder bonus for the ps4 and retail deluxe copies (EU only.). My guess is that it's likely one or two sidequests and a party member who has no real story interaction.

The other stuff is mostly preorder nonsense too.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 30, 2014

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Yeah, none of it is necessary, but releasing a ton of Day One DLC costing more than the game itself is probably just not a very clever strategy.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The rhyming really does feel forced. It almost triggered collapse inward until you become a singularity level cringe.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

"It's locked."

"I'm not shocked."

Every single time. Did they need to rhyme EVERYTHING?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I didn't realize it until I saw that the costume is called "Princess of the Wind," but the free pre-order costume is a Nausicaa color scheme! :swoon:

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I went ahead and bought the Golem pack and ignored everything else. Does anyone know when and where that stuff becomes available? I just got the mouse added to my party if that helps.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Jesus, they really try to take advantage of the fact that you can fly don't they? These places are loving huge and there's stuff in every little nook and cranny.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Early game note that you can find:

They say the Four from out of darkness came,
Mahthildis shaped cruel nature with her art,
The surging ocean Cynbel's math did part,
Rambert spread his wealth upon the barren plain,
Erin's spear lit the highest peaks aflame.

They say at the explorers' heart
Lies the Secret of Ages to impart.
Through its fire the wilderness they did tame.

But if all was dark, from whence came their spark?

The game really doesn't try to hide where it gets its influences from, but I think I like that.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Do Spinels combine into anything else in oculi crafting?

Behonkiss posted:

I went ahead and bought the Golem pack and ignored everything else. Does anyone know when and where that stuff becomes available? I just got the mouse added to my party if that helps.

The golem is the second party member you can get (the pieces are all in the Tree of Thorns you go to after you can fly, you should have run into the head when you went through to the village), so you can probably already double-back and get it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man, I reealllly hope I don't find out that I should have been spreading this stardust around and not just giving it all to Aurora.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

So I played a tiny bit between classes and I'm really enjoying it. But I noticed it seemed a bit easy on Normal difficulty. Does the difficulty step up soon, or should I start over on hard before I get too far in?

Ed: Also, I hope they release a soundtrack for this. The music is so good.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

AlmightyBob posted:

I have been waiting for this since the reveal trailer, but I've had nothing but problems with uPlay and just won't deal with it anymore.

Same here. This game looks nice enough that I'd be willing to give it a try, but I'm never buying a game with Uplay integration again. Hopefully one day Ubisoft games stop using it and they rely on Steamworks for their DRM requirements.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flytrap posted:

Man, I reealllly hope I don't find out that I should have been spreading this stardust around and not just giving it all to Aurora.

Well for what it's worth, she's the only constant throughout the game. Makes sense she should be powerful. Would it not suck to dump stardust into a party member only to unlock a new party member and decide the past party member needed to be shelved? Although sure, if you have a character you know is gonna use magic a ton maybe save some MP Stardust...

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Lance Streetman posted:

So I played a tiny bit between classes and I'm really enjoying it. But I noticed it seemed a bit easy on Normal difficulty. Does the difficulty step up soon, or should I start over on hard before I get too far in?

Ed: Also, I hope they release a soundtrack for this. The music is so good.

I started on Hard difficulty and yeah it's pretty tough. Not insurmountable, but you need to have a solid grasp of the battle system. Even if you die or lose the fight, the game seems to put a checkpoint before a fight so no big deal.

I've only just done the first boss fight though, so maybe the difficulty will really surge ahead and get crazy.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Pretty sure you can change the difficulty setting at any time in the options menu.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm enjoying this so far, but please, gods, tell me there's a way to invert the Y-axis for Igniculus on Xbone.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 30, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Cephas posted:

Pretty sure you can change the difficulty setting at any time in the options menu.

Yeah, you can. Thanks.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I really dig the battle system. It reminds me a lot of SMT: Nocturne, in that you can exploit it to essentially stunlock everything to death, but the active element makes it so much more frantic and fun.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
For those curious on the inked aurora costume in the dark dlc pack, here's a screenshot of it:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I'm kinda having trouble figuring out how to set up the party members I have so far.

Aurora: Not really sure? I took her through the tree that gives her the Damage Amplification ability, which is very handy, but it makes her physical attacks very lackluster compared to the jester. From this point I'm not sure if I should branch out into her Strength-oriented fields or if I should stay the course and take her down her second magic tree. Having the Heal skill from the pre-order is useful, because without it, Aurora seems a little lacking in versatility. Pairs well with the jester and the wizard for damage amp. Usually give her a diamond for the experience bonus, but I don't know what to put in her other slots.

Jester: Good at physical damage, very good at interrupting enemies with her attacks. The path that improves her default attack seems like the best tree to max first. Healing and Reviving abilities are very useful if you are playing on Hard. Fast, powerful physical attacks and healing abilities makes her really strong. An appropriate elemental gem in her weapon slot makes her very dangerous against enemies with a weakness. I like to give her tanky support gems.

Wizard: super duper straight forward, just nuke everything and use gems that support spell usage and evasion.

Aurora's Middle Sister: She seems like she's a mixture of a tank and a time mage, but I haven't figured out how to effectively utilize her abilities yet. The tree that gives her an innate speed bonus and some speed skills may not be the best tree to take, because the ally swapping mechanic means debuffing the enemies, who are always present, is probably better than buffing a party member you might need to switch out. Her ability that lets you hyper armor through enemy attacks seems potentially game-breaking, but on Hard mode it's been difficult to use, because enemies deal so much damage, you might not want to try to soak their damage. I imagine that her default attack (which has a chance of stunning the enemy) has a strong synergy with the gem which increases your chances of stunning an enemy. The only thing is that her offensive options seem limited to this one physical attack, and her damage hasn't been good so far.

The default setup I have right now is using Aurora to damage buff the jester, while switching to the wizard if I ever need to kill something with an obvious elemental weakness. The characters have such low mana pools that it feels like making them physical attackers might work better than making them casters, given the choice.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Should I be sticking to one upgrade path? Uh oh!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Cephas posted:

I'm kinda having trouble figuring out how to set up the party members I have so far.

Aurora: Not really sure? I took her through the tree that gives her the Damage Amplification ability, which is very handy, but it makes her physical attacks very lackluster compared to the jester. From this point I'm not sure if I should branch out into her Strength-oriented fields or if I should stay the course and take her down her second magic tree. Having the Heal skill from the pre-order is useful, because without it, Aurora seems a little lacking in versatility. Pairs well with the jester and the wizard for damage amp. Usually give her a diamond for the experience bonus, but I don't know what to put in her other slots.

Jester: Good at physical damage, very good at interrupting enemies with her attacks. The path that improves her default attack seems like the best tree to max first. Healing and Reviving abilities are very useful if you are playing on Hard. Fast, powerful physical attacks and healing abilities makes her really strong. An appropriate elemental gem in her weapon slot makes her very dangerous against enemies with a weakness. I like to give her tanky support gems.

Wizard: super duper straight forward, just nuke everything and use gems that support spell usage and evasion.

Aurora's Middle Sister: She seems like she's a mixture of a tank and a time mage, but I haven't figured out how to effectively utilize her abilities yet. The tree that gives her an innate speed bonus and some speed skills may not be the best tree to take, because the ally swapping mechanic means debuffing the enemies, who are always present, is probably better than buffing a party member you might need to switch out. Her ability that lets you hyper armor through enemy attacks seems potentially game-breaking, but on Hard mode it's been difficult to use, because enemies deal so much damage, you might not want to try to soak their damage. I imagine that her default attack (which has a chance of stunning the enemy) has a strong synergy with the gem which increases your chances of stunning an enemy. The only thing is that her offensive options seem limited to this one physical attack, and her damage hasn't been good so far.

The default setup I have right now is using Aurora to damage buff the jester, while switching to the wizard if I ever need to kill something with an obvious elemental weakness. The characters have such low mana pools that it feels like making them physical attackers might work better than making them casters, given the choice.

Branch out into her magic branches, she has some of the best spells since nothing resists Light and everything weak to it is something you want killed loving now. I gave her a Citirine gem on her sword and she's been tearing everything up.

Jester is just what she appears. Use her speed for control and make sure you get her status prevention moves, they will save your life when facing enemies that slow your team for interrupting them.

Don't be afraid of over branching, by the midgame you'll be getting a level after each fight.

EDIT: Actually those levels do stop coming in quite so quickly eventually, but by then I had almost filled out everyone's board anyway.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 1, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

For anybody interested in the soundtrack, you can get it here.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

For those curious on the inked aurora costume in the dark dlc pack, here's a screenshot of it:

When can you actually use the costumes? I'm just at the start of chapter 3 Aurora just got her wings and I picked up the jester

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

When can you actually use the costumes? I'm just at the start of chapter 3 Aurora just got her wings and I picked up the jester

You use them from the options menu. Pretty sure you can use it anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

The costume option has been grayed-out for me, even though I pre-ordered. strange.

• Locked thread