Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is it like, "a thing" to steal personal information from bogus job postings?

I fired off a small salvo of resumes on Indeed yesterday. Got this email today:

I didn't apply to anything with LiveScribe, but was like "Well maybe I did on a previous job hunt?" so I replied back saying yes I'm interested. The sender address looked weird to me but I know these sites often obfuscate that poo poo so :shrug:
A few hours later I get an email back from the same guy from an "@livescrlbe.com" address. If I go to that site, it redirects to the actual livescribe site, but a quick whois on the domain suggests its hosted out of Iceland whereas the actual LiveScribe is out of the US.

Just wondering if its some scam to collect resumes and use the names / addresses found therein for whatever devious purposes or something?

I've never encountered this before and curious how they got my email in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Seems like a really funny way to get someone to do a Zoom interview instead of your actual candidate, completely for free

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
It's probably the beginning of a "great, you're hired! Now you just need to pay the onboarding / training fees" kind of scam.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Q2 has started and recruiters are hungry this time around

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
we have a billion open positions... and of course are only hiring in latin america because it costs 1/3 as much. that and they've taken our manual QA org and are trying to retrain them as engineers, because they're still cheaper than SE1s and have product context? this is going about as well as you'd expect on a ~60 engineer team with no existing "software engineer in test" type role

we just lost the EM and PM for our ML squad to google though so yknow some people in the org can still make lateral moves even if most of us are just stuck waiting until we get replaced with cheaper people

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Q2 has started and recruiters are hungry this time around

So are the students. The number of connection requests that I get from random students is getting to be overwhelming.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's a generational difference in how zoomers use linkedin - i get these rando requests from students, especially indian students, all the time. not sure what they get out of it since most of them don't message about jobs.

i also wonder whether the users who post their work wins on it, get any benefit from it. i'm past 40 and peers my age generally treat it as a CV profile website.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There might be some perceived benefit if your network is > 100, particularly 200. You might look more professionally established or something; or that's what the university of technology <city> <country> is telling their seniors. If my guidance councilor said "you need to have 200 us contacts on LinkedIn" I would go do that, probably #cargocult

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Yeah, if students are doing something weird you can basically assume it's because guidance councilors are telling them to do it.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Plorkyeran posted:

Yeah, if students are doing something weird you can basically assume it's because guidance councilors are telling them to do it.

later students learn of the guidance counselor paradox - if a person were good at being a guidance counselor, they would not have gotten a job as a guidance counselor, because obviously, they would have been skilled enough to find a better job themselves.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Linkedin is a spam network that I don't understand why anyone still uses. They make their money by allowing people to email you, unironically it's a spam network that you sign up for. I stopped using it a decade ago and since then all recruiters moved to linkedin. That's the only way they contact anyone anymore I guess because of convenience, and I haven't received a message from them since.

It amazes me people including employers seem to insist you have one.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's the corporate users that force their staff to publish "articles" on linkedin that gets me, like idk who is reading all of that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

later students learn of the guidance counselor paradox - if a person were good at being a guidance counselor, they would not have gotten a job as a guidance counselor, because obviously, they would have been skilled enough to find a better job themselves.
It's a bit like brine shrimp. When you encounter a specific brine shrimp, you assume it's alive largely because of raw probabilities and the collective ability to propagate the species, and less because this particular brine shrimp is really excellent at what it does

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Nolgthorn posted:

Linkedin is a spam network that I don't understand why anyone still uses. They make their money by allowing people to email you, unironically it's a spam network that you sign up for. I stopped using it a decade ago and since then all recruiters moved to linkedin. That's the only way they contact anyone anymore I guess because of convenience, and I haven't received a message from them since.

It's a searchable index of tech employees - you work with someone cool, they move to a new job, tell their boss to hit you up on LinkedIn and see if you want to come over. It works the other direction too - you say "ugh I just got laid off" and people that liked you that you used to work with now all know you're available and can float stuff your way or direct you somewhere.

I ignore every mail on there, don't post or read posts at all (they're the worst), and my response to recruiters (if I do respond) is pretty simple: make me interested.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

I have a very high cold call response rate on LinkedIn when I use it to do research about companies or particular career directions that I am interested in. For example, when I was deciding which web dev boot camp to take, I used the filters to find out where (and if) graduates were getting jobs and where they were working 3 years after graduation. I also used the filters yesterday to find people working in the military reserve at a company I'm considering joining.

I think people respond because when I write a message, I have a clear ask (a short informational call) and a clear reason for reaching out (one sentence explanation of who I am and why I want to chat).

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems there are an endless amount of companies with infinite backlogs - and they would like to recruit senior people. Kind of an chicken-egg problem.. can't be a senior if you can't get work experience. Same story over and over and over.

Despite that one guy I know is trying to talk me a trainee place for summer in the company where he works. He kept me an informal interview for 2 hours yesterday after I posted a picture of a beer glass on a bar terrace (glass had the bar's logo on it).

He said he had gone over my github and had liked discussions with me on the group chat. They have a SCADA system which has user-facing parts implemented with web technologies, mostly node.js and typescript I think.

Because they have an infinite backlog, which means too much work for not enough people, that they most likely can't provide a mentor. So I would be on my own. My biggest problem is selling myself so I suck at interviews and situations like this :v:

Is it possible to convince some manager at a company that it would be ok to take a chance with me? What do the people want to hear, I mean could a guy with BSc's degree somehow convince a manager that he can succeed in a situation like that?

E: I was a registered x-ray tech earlier, and before graduation I worked at my first x-ray clinic at some bumfuck town. They were desperate to get someone and had no alternatives, so they hired me despite not really wanting to. I didn't have experience working alone so the summer went nose on the book style, trying to figure out exactly what kind of pictures they want fron each case, and if the pictures I took where good enough. And trying to source for tips on how to get the pictures they want in more difficult cases etc. It went well and no one died, and they kept hiring me for 2 more summers after that!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 10, 2024

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Seems there are an endless amount of companies with infinite backlogs - and they would like to recruit senior people. Kind of an chicken-egg problem.. can't be a senior if you can't get work experience. Same story over and over and over.

From my experience with job searching at the senior+ level, there's the additional complication that now that all the free 0% interest money is gone, every company that's hiring is happy to slow track every single candidate into a six-month process with fifty interviews before they actually pick anyone.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ihmemies posted:

Despite that one guy I know is trying to talk me a trainee place for summer in the company where he works. He kept me an informal interview for 2 hours yesterday after I posted a picture of a beer glass on a bar terrace (glass had the bar's logo on it).

He said he had gone over my github and had liked discussions with me on the group chat. They have a SCADA system which has user-facing parts implemented with web technologies, mostly node.js and typescript I think.

Because they have an infinite backlog, which means too much work for not enough people, that they most likely can't provide a mentor. So I would be on my own. My biggest problem is selling myself so I suck at interviews and situations like this :v:

Is it possible to convince some manager at a company that it would be ok to take a chance with me? What do the people want to hear, I mean could a guy with BSc's degree somehow convince a manager that he can succeed in a situation like that?

E: I was a registered x-ray tech earlier, and before graduation I worked at my first x-ray clinic at some bumfuck town. They were desperate to get someone and had no alternatives, so they hired me despite not really wanting to. I didn't have experience working alone so the summer went nose on the book style, trying to figure out exactly what kind of pictures they want fron each case, and if the pictures I took where good enough. And trying to source for tips on how to get the pictures they want in more difficult cases etc. It went well and no one died, and they kept hiring me for 2 more summers after that!

a bachelors cant cover for charisma. some people without can sell themselves and some people with cant.

take the example in your edit. you could use that to sell yourself as being comfortable in uncomfortable situations. you didnt in your text, but you could. start by cutting the self-deprecation and focusing on the value you delivered and what you did to achieve that. your story plays better in the reverse of how you said it [hired for 3 summers, started not knowing anything, tenaciously looked for info on how to succeed, worked alone without significant help, they probably didnt want to hire me but it worked out for both of us]

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

leper khan posted:

take the example in your edit. you could use that to sell yourself as being comfortable in uncomfortable situations. you didnt in your text, but you could. start by cutting the self-deprecation and focusing on the value you delivered and what you did to achieve that. your story plays better in the reverse of how you said it [hired for 3 summers, started not knowing anything, tenaciously looked for info on how to succeed, worked alone without significant help, they probably didnt want to hire me but it worked out for both of us]

Exactly this. Rewrite that paragraph so that it transmits, "it was a challenge, and I overcame it" rather than "the company only had bad options, but at least I didn't gently caress it up too badly." You can be honest about your experience without being down on yourself, and the fact is that you have succeeded without your hand being held already. Talk that up. The ability to research is a huge part of this career, whether you're on your first gig or your tenth.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
you've got a great "behavioral" example for exactly the kind of question, everyone's nailing the advice on that so follow that and puff yourself up more but I gotta

Ihmemies posted:

They have a SCADA system which has user-facing parts implemented with web technologies, mostly node.js and typescript I think.
:stare:

sounds kinda horrific!!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sounds like someone trying to out me again, yes I have a TypeScript NodeJS system with a SCADA input.

🚂 choo choo

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are the odds there'd be three of us?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Considering applying for a Netflix job I found, its a senior role with remote from California as the location but the pay range is 90-600k which seems such a huge range that its useless. I greatly exceed all the listed qualifications (5+ years experience and Ive got 10-20 depending on how you count), so should I be able to expect to be at the top end of the range or is that a pipe dream?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I thought most engineers were at $250k at Netflix?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

MrMoo posted:

I thought most engineers were at $250k at Netflix?

they let you do cash instead of equity so the numbers can get a little silly there

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

this is just nakedly flouting the law that they have to list a pay range :mad:

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Look at levels.fyi. looks like the average for L5 is 533kand L4 is 332k.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i mean, netflix does pay some touchers 600k. they're famous for that. that seems to actually be the actual range

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Dang, okay; thats enough cash to move back to California. I guess I should interview and see what Im worth to them. Thanks everyone!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Dang, okay; thats enough cash to move back to California. I guess I should interview and see what Im worth to them. Thanks everyone!

I have heard that they pay very well (600k looks about right), but they also demand your first born, life, soul and everything while working for them. If you can make it work for a while, it should be definitely worth it, then just retire on some pacific island.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

From what Ive heard of Netflix, its not healthy to work for. Id treat it like boot camp, expect to get 3~6 months out of it or something.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Pollyanna posted:

From what Ive heard of Netflix, its not healthy to work for. Id treat it like boot camp, expect to get 3~6 months out of it or something.

What have you heard?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a lot of previously unhealthy things that are suddenly healthy for $600k/yr. Money doesn't solve everything but 5 years at Netflix ought to put you in a pretty good financial spot for many years.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I've known 2 people who worked for Netflix, and they both said that Netflix pays very well but expects you to bring your A game at all times, and the second that drops to A- they will tip you out the door.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Netflix is another one of those companies where I wonder why they even still have developers, considering their platform seems to be pretty feature-complete

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

Netflix is another one of those companies where I wonder why they even still have developers, considering their platform seems to be pretty feature-complete

all software is a long, long rage against the dying of the light

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

Organizations exist first and foremost to ensure that the organization continues to exist. If you don't have obvious work to do, then you will find work to do, to justify your salary.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You need to employ lots of people to find more places to show ads.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

CPColin posted:

Maybe at least some of their developers are working on ongoing improvements to their recommendation algorithm?

The "genre" lists seem to change frequently at least. I really wish they wouldn't. For that matter, I really wish there was an option to just see every single movie or tv show they currently have. Stop wasting my time showing me the same movie in every single "genre". :old developer yells at clouds:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

all software is a long, long rage against the dying of the light

Truer words I have never read.

On which topic, any advice for how to not stress out about an ever-growing bug list? My most visible responsibility right now is prioritizing which bugs to work on from an ever-growing list. The team doesn't have enough developers to keep up with how fast they come in so most days it feels like I'm rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic as I watch our bug list get longer and longer. (I've been reporting the problem upwards for over half a year and it seems like management understands there is a problem but also won't be providing any help.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

On which topic, any advice for how to not stress out about an ever-growing bug list? My most visible responsibility right now is prioritizing which bugs to work on from an ever-growing list. The team doesn't have enough developers to keep up with how fast they come in so most days it feels like I'm rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic as I watch our bug list get longer and longer. (I've been reporting the problem upwards for over half a year and it seems like management understands there is a problem but also won't be providing any help.)

Internalize that it is not possible to fix every bug. A large bug list does not reflect poorly on you, because every program is buggy as poo poo. All it means is that you have a lot of information about how your code works. (this is why "declaring bug bankruptcy" is such a bad idea, it just discards a lot of valuable information)

Bug prioritization is always a question of priority in allocating resources. As long as you have accurately prioritized the, say, top 10 bugs that actually have a chance of being worked on, that's all that really matters. The rest can be dumped into "low priority", "medium priority", and "high priority" buckets that are all basically "not going to be worked on" priority with different names on them.

If someone complains that their pet bug isn't being addressed, you can point them at your accurately-prioritized top 10 list, say "these are the ones we can actually allocate resources to, go to one of them and make your case about why your issue is more important than theirs".