Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Pollyanna posted:

Since I’m gonna be remote for my next job, I’m thinking I should get a monitor/keyboard/mouse setup for my desk, and my new employer is willing to expense it. Any suggestions for a home setup, within reason?

Microsoft makes good ergonomic keyboards and mice. I'm using the Sculpt at work right now and like it.

Volguus posted:

I mean there are people who like those VMs ... shudder.

I have bad news for you if you use a Windows newer than 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

minato posted:

Emphasis mine.

There may be no value-add for you, but it can be huge for others. For example:
- IT dept refuse to manage anything other than Windows-for-non-devs, despite all the devs programming to a Linux platform.
- Ops don't want to manage provisioning a pool of remote dev machines (a significant drain on their time, and on limited HW resources)
- Devs want to be able to work on the go, and/or demo software without requiring a remote connection.
- Devs want to be able to experiment with new packages / tools without polluting or conflicting with a pristine dev environment.
- Devs want to manage their own dev environments when IT don't have the resource to support their favorite IDE.
- Devs may need to spin up many different environments and/or multiple VMs simultaneously.
- DevOps want the dev environments to be as similar as possible to production.

All of these are good reasons to program on a local VM for many. And as already said, the performance difference with modern VMs is negligible for most people. If that's not the case for you, then I'd be keen to know why, and seeing some recent perf data to support the claim.

Regarding your comment about Docker/containers, I think the primary reason people are moving in that direction vs VMs is that containers provide similar & more flexible isolation w.r.t. a VM, but are also far more lightweight in terms of size, CPU/disc/memory resource requirements, configuration mgmt, and spin-up speed. Packaging a service onto a VM was mostly a stop-gap technology until containerization came along. Which is why at my last shop, everyone used their Windows box to spin up a Linux VM and then proceeded to develop software in containers.

Ha, so now turning all around: Yes, certainly there are reasons for the work a developer has to do to be done in a VM (local or on a server). When the work to be done has to be done there (and there are more reasons than just those stated) then by all means. I've done it when I had to. Yes it still sucks, but that's the nature of the beast.
But when there are no reasons to do so, when the only reason is the nazi incompetent sysadmin with daddy issues, then I have a problem.
IT, testing, DevOps,production servers, fooling around with stuff are definitely much easier to do in a VM since the ephemerality becomes a significant time saver plus ability to spin new ones when load increases is essential. Whatever performance is lost via virtualization, is more than made up for. But that's not the case for most of the development work. Plain development, let's say the run of the mill .net/java app with javascript crap sprinkled through it. Nothing fancy, just your regular startup.

Munkeymon posted:

I have bad news for you if you use a Windows newer than 7

What's with windows?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jose Valasquez posted:

If that's a deal breaker maybe ask about it in the interview. We only used Eclipse at my last job and it was fine, I adjusted.

Yeah, it's a dealbreaker. The problem is more the attitude of dictating someone's personal tools than Eclipse itself.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Volguus posted:

But when there are no reasons to do so, when the only reason is the nazi incompetent sysadmin with daddy issues, then I have a problem.

So, uh, your workplace appears to be entirely populated by self-centered assholes who only care about performing the letter of their job description, and nothing that actually benefits the company or accommodates other peoples' responsibilities.

No wonder you're angry all the time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today I learned that for all the flailing and confusion behind our codebase and architecture, what we’ve made is just a lovely version of Redux Form. :downs:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Volguus posted:

What's with windows?

In 8+ you're running a VM on top of Hyper-V by default unless you edit your boot.ini to disable Hyper-V entirely.

Oh and IIRC 95 was running on a 16 bit VM, so there's that, too.

Pollyanna posted:

Today I learned that for all the flailing and confusion behind our codebase and architecture, what we’ve made is just a lovely version of Redux Form. :downs:

"NO, I WILL MAKE THE BEST WHEEL", shouts another JavaScript developer

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So, uh, your workplace appears to be entirely populated by self-centered assholes who only care about performing the letter of their job description, and nothing that actually benefits the company or accommodates other peoples' responsibilities.

No wonder you're angry all the time.

What other people's responsibilities? I perform to the best of my ability considering the other people around me. If one guy wants to run his stuff in a VM ... more power to him. If you force me to run my stuff in a VM? gently caress off.
I actually think about the company not about me. The nazi sysadmin only thinks about himself.

Munkeymon posted:

In 8+ you're running a VM on top of Hyper-V by default unless you edit your boot.ini to disable Hyper-V entirely.
Eh ... sucks to be running windows then?

Munkeymon posted:

Oh and IIRC 95 was running on a 16 bit VM, so there's that, too.
That's ... not true. Holy hell. Yes, they had 16 bit APIs in there (I've read once on the Old new thing blog that it was about string manipulation) that apparently they didn't change because they were working fine, but it was a 32 bit OS as a whole.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Volguus posted:

Eh ... sucks to be running windows then?

No, it doesn't, and you won't notice unless and until you try to run some other hypervisor. That's what we've been telling you: modern VMs on modern hardware are just about seamless and 'modern' there means less than ~5-6 years old.

quote:

That's ... not true. Holy hell. Yes, they had 16 bit APIs in there (I've read once on the Old new thing blog that it was about string manipulation) that apparently they didn't change because they were working fine, but it was a 32 bit OS as a whole.

Yeah, I'm probably misremembering that article.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Docker containers are becoming popular over virtualization partly because they're simply a lot smaller and easier to distribute than VMs and because the tooling for containers is a lot friendlier for developers to rapidly iterate with (docker commands). You can see how important the tooling is based upon the popularity of Vagrant when all this stuff was already available but locked away behind vendors trying to sell VMs and their ecosystem as opposed to enabling developers to use them well (aiming at IT departments and CIOs rather than profit-center engineering orgs). Unfortunately, containerized software systems basically require a rewrite for almost everyone because most developers even in a cloud situation use primitives that are totally fine in a local dev environment but are freakin' terrible when you actually operationalize the system.

I am literally dealing with a slew of on-call page-outs right now because the developers wrote some of our most critical data local to a file system instead of shipping it off-instance to, say, S3 or freakin' hell even EFS. When you do cloud-native architectures, that just don't fly. Way too many places wind up with the worst of datacenters and the worst of clouds.

Skandranon posted:

Why not 1x34" AND 2x24"?
I'm in the process of getting 2x24" monitors in portrait to flank my 34". I am currently blocked on my crappy $80 IKEA desk not being able to handle the weight of all 3 of these monitors at once and I'm having to rethink my choices (... in life).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

No, it doesn't, and you won't notice unless and until you try to run some other hypervisor. That's what we've been telling you: modern VMs on modern hardware are just about seamless and 'modern' there means less than ~5-6 years old.

The windows information that it runs by default in Hyper-v sounds fishy and there's nothing on google saying that this is the case. If you enable Hyper-v then you can't install Virtual Box for example, but you can surely install Virtual box on a plain windows 10 instance without Hyper-V being enabled. But, I don't know or care enough about windows to say either way.

But, since we're on the topic of performance of a VM I did a little test.
I run Fedora 27 and have quemu/kvm as the virtualization technology of choice. I downloaded linux-4.14-rc7 tarball since is a big enough thing to compile and see some meaningful results. In both the VM and on the local machine I compiled the kernel via: "make allyesconfig && make -j7" . The real hardware has 32GB of RAM and 8/16 cores. The VM got 12G of RAM and 6 cores. The VM runs CentOS with only the minimum installed to be able to compile the kernel. The machine has a 1TB nvme drive that both the main OS and the virtualized one were running on.

Fedora, real hardware: 6m16s
CentOS, virtualized: 13m58s

More than double the time.

Now, as I said, when the work you do requires the VM, by all means go ahead. There are very many very good reasons to do it. If it doesn't, you just doubled your compile times. If it goes from 1 minute to 2 minutes is not a big deal. If it goes from 10 minutes to 20 ... it's up to you.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Without seeing your KVM settings and kernel info it's tough to say what's causing the discrepancy. There's absolutely a hit to performance with virtualization unless you have a really niche case like with Exchange being super-optimized by VMware engineers to literally run faster on a VM than bare metal, but you can certainly use Docker on a Linux host and get substantially better performance (unless we're talking file I/O, in which case yeah.... Docker storage drivers can suck it).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Coming on 6 years of experience does that qualify me as an oldie yet? :haw:

Only 30 to go :negative:

How long do you keep old jobs on your resume and when do you start relaxing the 1 page resume rule? I assume always keep education hidden away somewhere? Struggling to get everything on one page...

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Mr. Crow posted:

Coming on 6 years of experience does that qualify me as an oldie yet? :haw:

How long do you keep old jobs on your resume and when do you start relaxing the 1 page resume rule? Struggling to get everything on one page...

Interesting point I'm curious about as well. I'm on my 3rd dev job. The first was a 6 month poo poo-show junior engineer role at a place that did consulting and was nightmarish. I did next to nothing that still applies today (node lol) and really don't want to pursue node jobs, so I'll probably just leave it off. Both jobs after that have so much experience for me to write about, that leaving the consulting gig and my first gig (20 months working in audit before my CS degree) on my resume seem ill advised. Should I just start with post-CS education experience? I feel like at this point nobody is going to give a poo poo about my first two jobs whereas having more space to write about the second two and keep it on one page is cool and good.

E; Not that I'm looking for work, I just like to keep my resume up to date while what I did is fresh in my head.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Go for 2 pages. It’s become accepted for mid career programmers.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

piratepilates posted:

Been working for almost 4 years now, first as a lovely programmer position doing basic web stuff (ASP.NET and MSSQL), for the last 2 it's been mostly front-end stuff (Ember.js). I think of myself as a full stack developer and feel confident in developing backend and frontend projects. I've been seeing a lot of cool startups around that are doing cool startup stuff that I would like to do, the only problem is that they do a lot of stuff I don't have experience with and not sure how to gain useful experience with.

I'm talking about things like distributed systems, elixir, cassandra, kafka, zookeeper, etc. I haven't used those before and although I can learn the basics from tutorials, I don't see any way of getting actually good hands on production experience with those.

Is that going to end up being a problem getting jobs at places that do cool stuff like that? I feel like i'm trapped in a weird position where I'm confident in my experience and abilities, but don't have experience in those areas at all, and I'm not sure how to get experience in those areas without getting a job that already requires experience in them. How do you break in to positions like that?

(Not In the bay area, working in Toronto and looking at a place that has offices in SF and in Toronto)

Follow your dreams, kids.

Accepted a position at a y-combinator startup using Elixir and React and doing cool stuff. Also hired.com is very great and you should try it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

piratepilates posted:

Also hired.com is very great and you should try it.

Related to these types of companies, do you feel like you received a lot of competitive offers and/or from interesting companies? Did you aim high or about market as told by glassdoor etc.?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Mr. Crow posted:

Related to these types of companies, do you feel like you received a lot of competitive offers and/or from interesting companies? Did you aim high or about market as told by glassdoor etc.?
The common wisdom seems to be that glassdoor biases low due to old data, happy employees not reporting to it, and inconsistent reporting of non-salary compensation. Paysa is a newer service that gives more detailed information on salary distributions and might provide an interesting counterpoint.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mr. Crow posted:

How long do you keep old jobs on your resume and when do you start relaxing the 1 page resume rule? I assume always keep education hidden away somewhere? Struggling to get everything on one page...

The rule of thumb I like is that everybody gets a page, and then you get one extra page for every ten years of experience. I think going over that by a half-page or so isn't too bad, but much more than that probably is. You definitely don't get to send me an eight-page resume.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Just collapse everything older than 10 years into single lines? :shrug:

Also skilled editing is the best evidence of wisdom.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Since I’m gonna be remote for my next job, I’m thinking I should get a monitor/keyboard/mouse setup for my desk, and my new employer is willing to expense it. Any suggestions for a home setup, within reason?

If you don't already have a headset for video conferencing, get one. Or you can grab a USB tabletop speakerphone too, like one of these.

Video conferencing with your computer's built-in speaker and mic sucks if you're doing it on a regular basis. There's no echo cancellation and you ruin it for everyone else on the call.

Ralith posted:

The common wisdom seems to be that glassdoor biases low due to old data, happy employees not reporting to it, and inconsistent reporting of non-salary compensation. Paysa is a newer service that gives more detailed information on salary distributions and might provide an interesting counterpoint.

Where does Paysa get its numbers from? They seem to have trouble disambiguating companies (my company, for instance, is listed under six different names) so I'm guessing scraping H1B filings and the like?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 2, 2017

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mr. Crow posted:

Bunch of interesting jobs from interesting companies (some big, some small). Aimed around market value based off of my own salary and a few listings I've seen, maybe higher, but you can just put a big number and lower it later if no one is biting. In SV or a big American city I'm sure you'll get even more interesting companies and startups.

One of the weirdest things I found was these large-ish companies I had never heard of which are now recruiting in Toronto. Nothing bad to say about Hired.com, always worth a try.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Volguus posted:

The windows information that it runs by default in Hyper-v sounds fishy and there's nothing on google saying that this is the case. If you enable Hyper-v then you can't install Virtual Box for example, but you can surely install Virtual box on a plain windows 10 instance without Hyper-V being enabled. But, I don't know or care enough about windows to say either way.

Now, as I said, when the work you do requires the VM, by all means go ahead. There are very many very good reasons to do it. If it doesn't, you just doubled your compile times. If it goes from 1 minute to 2 minutes is not a big deal. If it goes from 10 minutes to 20 ... it's up to you.

It's possible that VS enables Hyper-V by default, so I'm ending up without a machine that doesn't have it enabled, but disabling it doesn't noticeably affect performance because of hardware passthrough, which I mentioned before. Games don't load/run half as fast on my workstation at home, for instance. Only difference is that I can actually run VirtualBox if it's disabled.

Ralith posted:

I'm not sure if I'm using this right, but I put in the skills I regularly use and it said I'm underpaid by about 10k. Then I just heaped in everything I could think of that I've ever used/done professionally, even for smaller projects or maintenance and it's saying I'm 20k under :\

Glassdoor usually has me about 5k underpaid, for reference.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Last day of work. Soon, I’ll be starting a new, remote position with a company in CA. It’s sad to go and not to see my awesome coworkers anymore, but the office has changed so much and the environment and leadership are so different that I no longer feel secure in my current position. Pouring a 40 out for my former coworkers who got politicked out of the company :( Maybe I’ll grab them on LinkedIn...

Now I get to contend with the wonderful world of full-time remote work. If I wasn’t a weird hermit before - and I most certainly was - I will be now! :shepface:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe I’ll grab them on LinkedIn...

Definitely do this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s on my todo list.

I’m being assigned a deep dive into our code base with a new employee for my last day. I hope that means I’ve grown as an engineer during my time here...as long as my career is progressing and I’m not falling behind my peers, I’m happy.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pollyanna posted:

I’m happy.

I'm just quoting this for later

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Munkeymon posted:

I'm just quoting this for later

:v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I very much need a break from being the workhorse of the team. Not helped by having a dead weight tech lead.

I'd be happy to sit in a corner for a year paying down tech debt.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Thanks for the replies folks!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Pouring a 40 out for my former coworkers who got politicked out of the company :( Maybe I’ll grab them on LinkedIn...
Dollars to donuts there's probably a slack team with them all in it, because this has been the case for the last three jobs I've had.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

kitten smoothie posted:

Where does Paysa get its numbers from? They seem to have trouble disambiguating companies (my company, for instance, is listed under six different names) so I'm guessing scraping H1B filings and the like?
I dunno exactly, but at least some of it must be data entered by users, since that's a thing you do.

Munkeymon posted:

I'm not sure if I'm using this right, but I put in the skills I regularly use and it said I'm underpaid by about 10k. Then I just heaped in everything I could think of that I've ever used/done professionally, even for smaller projects or maintenance and it's saying I'm 20k under :\

Glassdoor usually has me about 5k underpaid, for reference.
I can't speak to how accurate their heuristics are, though they seem plausible for me. Lots of people are underpaid. Regardless, I mainly like to browse the salaries for various roles at prominent companies and try to build my own sense of things rather than focus on their personalized stuff.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

It's possible that VS enables Hyper-V by default, so I'm ending up without a machine that doesn't have it enabled, but disabling it doesn't noticeably affect performance because of hardware passthrough, which I mentioned before. Games don't load/run half as fast on my workstation at home, for instance. Only difference is that I can actually run VirtualBox if it's disabled.

That's a load of bullshit. Windows by itself doesn't run in a VM (hyper-v, pass trough or not) . I looked and you are completely wrong. Yes, you can install and start the hyper-v subsystem which will enable you to install other VMs on the OS and prevent you from installing other virtualization technologies but the main OS runs on the real hardware. It would be insane and fantastically stupid to do it otherwise. Virtualization brings certain abilities to the table that otherwise wouldn't be available, but there is (and always will be) a price to pay for them. If the price is worth it or not ... that's for the individual or task to determine.

A build server that builds poo poo overnight is a perfect candidate. A daily development machine isn't. Some however, make do, and that's fine. Imposing that idiocy on others isn't fine though.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Volguus posted:

A build server that builds poo poo overnight is a perfect candidate. A daily development machine isn't. Some however, make do, and that's fine. Imposing that idiocy on others isn't fine though.

You're like the guy that owns a Land Rover with huge, knobby tires, brush guards, lamp bar, and tow winch, that never leaves asphalt.

Anyone driving a car that can't go offroad is an idiot (*has never gone offroad)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Volguus posted:

That's a load of bullshit. Windows by itself doesn't run in a VM (hyper-v, pass trough or not) . I looked and you are completely wrong. Yes, you can install and start the hyper-v subsystem which will enable you to install other VMs on the OS and prevent you from installing other virtualization technologies but the main OS runs on the real hardware. It would be insane and fantastically stupid to do it otherwise. Virtualization brings certain abilities to the table that otherwise wouldn't be available, but there is (and always will be) a price to pay for them. If the price is worth it or not ... that's for the individual or task to determine.

I mean you're half wrong and half right, but being weirdly hostile about it?

Microsoft posted:

In addition, if you have Hyper-V enabled, those latency-sensitive, high-precision applications may also have issues running in the host. This is because with virtualization enabled, the host OS also runs on top of the Hyper-V virtualization layer, just as guest operating systems do. However, unlike guests, the host OS is special in that it has direct access to all the hardware, which means that applications with special hardware requirements can still run without issues in the host OS.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...-windows-server

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

You're like the guy that owns a Land Rover with huge, knobby tires, brush guards, lamp bar, and tow winch, that never leaves asphalt.

Anyone driving a car that can't go offroad is an idiot (*has never gone offroad)

You meant to say: "Anyone that's making you use said Land Rover whether you want/need to or not is an idiot." That was the entire discussion here from the beginning. About the nazi sysadmin who wants 100% control over the computers and forces devs to use a VM because of his daddy issues. Me not agreeing to that made you (and others) come and say: " what do you mean? VMs are the best thing since slice bread and you are the idiot for not wanting to run everything in a VM. And by that I mean absolutely everything."

Yes am being a dick about it when the request itself is coming from a dick.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Volguus posted:

You meant to say: "Anyone that's making you use said Land Rover whether you want/need to or not is an idiot." That was the entire discussion here from the beginning. About the nazi sysadmin who wants 100% control over the computers and forces devs to use a VM because of his daddy issues. Me not agreeing to that made you (and others) come and say: " what do you mean? VMs are the best thing since slice bread and you are the idiot for not wanting to run everything in a VM. And by that I mean absolutely everything."

Yes am being a dick about it when the request itself is coming from a dick.

You're extremely angry about this. Perhaps you should show us on this doll where the sysadmin touched you.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

You're extremely angry about this. Perhaps you should show us on this doll where the sysadmin touched you.

Yes, that's true, I do get irrationally angry when a non-developer ( can be sysadmin, project manager or CEO) tries to impose their workflow on me. What works for them, what works for the marketing monkeys does not always work for me. Most of the time does not work for me.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Volguus posted:

Yes, that's true, I do get irrationally angry when a non-developer ( can be sysadmin, project manager or CEO) tries to impose their workflow on me. What works for them, what works for the marketing monkeys does not always work for me. Most of the time does not work for me.

But you're worked up over a hypothetical scenario. This isn't actually happening to you as far as I can tell from the discussion

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Volguus posted:

I had this attitude in my 20s when I thought that the code I produced was the most important thing that my company sold. It was only when I had a long discussion with a former PM of mine that I understood that there is no development work without marketing and sales and there is no PM work without product. These roles all compliment each other and you don't have a job without the sysadmin who needs to secure the network, or the PM who actually knows how a product is built.

Be mindful of those relationships because ultimately they keep you just as employed as you keep them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

I had this attitude in my 20s when I thought that the code I produced was the most important thing that my company sold. It was only when I had a long discussion with a former PM of mine that I understood that there is no development work without marketing and sales and there is no PM work without product. These roles all compliment each other and you don't have a job without the sysadmin who needs to secure the network, or the PM who actually knows how a product is built.

Be mindful of those relationships because ultimately they keep you just as employed as you keep them.

This has nothing to do with the relationships. I have over 20 years of experience and I like to think I am a professional at work. All these roles are needed, but just like I do not go to the PM to tell him to switch to LibreOffice for his excel needs or tell the sysadmin to definitely only use OpenBSD for his servers (duh, he would be an idiot to do otherwise) or configure the internal network to a 10.0.0.0/8 subnet I also expect me and only me to be the decider of my tools. Ultimately in a company everyone supports each other and if you make my life miserable (nazi, daddy issues or whatever) everyone will loose. And yes, I can tell one to go gently caress themselves in a very professional manner too.