Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Hi thread! I used to post a bit in the newbie thread, but I figure now that I've graduated to actually being employed as a software dude and I'm well on my way to becoming a SCRUM Master at my new job that I should probably post in this one.

I'm self-taught (no bootcamps or anything) and for the past 2 years or so have been hammering learning web dev and general software stuff pretty hard. I started my first real software job a couple of months ago, and I feel like I'm settling in and getting comfortable enough to start thinking about looking forward.

While I obviously plan to continue working and learning at my current job, I'd like also to expand my skill set and knowledge outside of work since my current job is all within the domain I am most comfortable with (Python on the web). I think I'd like to learn a language that isn't Python, and I also think I would like to maybe try doing some distributed system stuff (just because it is a superficially 'interesting' problem domain). To that end, I was thinking I might buy up a small cluster of Raspberry Pis and build some kind of... thing in a language that isn't Python.

Does that sound like a worthwhile/realistic pursuit if my goal is to do something that I find interesting outside of work while also increasing my value to potential employers say a year down the line when I start hitting the job search again?

Also, if anyone in here happens to work with distributed stuff – any courses/books/papers/blogs/project ideas/tips/language suggestions are totally welcome.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

the talent deficit posted:

christopher meiklejohn's
reading list is really good if you are comfortable with academic papers. there's no total ordering for the list but any of the brewer papers are good entry points

martin kleppmann has a really good book underway that covers distsys that is a great intro

as for tips, the most important thing in distsys is knowing the consistency model you need and knowing whether your system provides that model. better learn TLA+ and state model testing!

Happily, I love reading. Thanks for the links :~)

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Steve French posted:

I don't know much about paxos details, but isn't it notoriously complicated and hard to understand?

Well, the response paper for Raft is titled: "In Search of an Understandable Consensus Algorithm" so... yes?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

mrmcd posted:

My total comp w/o benefits and perks is ~250k as an L5 at G, but that's NYC (and SF) markets. It sounds like the biggest benefit to Amazon is Seattle being much cheaper so your paycheck buys a lot more. The biggest drawback would be their (allegedly) poisonous and cheap culture.

drat, I gotta level up. I'm pulling like 85 total w/ my annual bonus without considering my worthless stock at some startup also in NYC. This is technically my 2nd developer job on my resume, but for the purposes of actually doing/learning things it is my first with no formal education or anything. Would be nice to be pulling 250~

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

leper khan posted:

Pretty sure it's extremely rare to pull 250 early in your career.

But I have a pretty garbage salary track record myself, so what do I know. I also wouldn't mind pulling 250, but I can't complain too much about where I'm at (low six figgie club, but maybe my options will be significant [lolnope] when they start vesting early next year).

Oh yeah, I'm certainly not complaining. I like the place I work at and my salary is higher than most people I know at my age. Was more marveling at the idea of a quarter of a million a year in comp than anything else.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

return0 posted:

Such as?

https://github.com/nodejs/node-v0.x-archive/issues/6960

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Blinkz0rz posted:

This was fixed in npm v3.0 which was released over a year ago.

Yeah I should have been more clear, it was more a demonstration of node people saying this behavior was a bug in Windows and accusing people of playing word games when they pointed out that npm probably shouldn't claim it was windows compatible.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pick something to train in that your company uses and that you' re interested in. The point is to improve your skills, first and foremost. You should never be just slacking off at work for any substantial period of time.

I mean, it seems like he's just trying to improve his skills in a way that is interesting to him rather than the company because he has checked out at this point. Which I think is fair v0v.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Stinky_Pete posted:

Put it in a small window, about a quarter screen size, and treat it like music in the background. I did that with YouTube videos all the time at my old job. I regularly see my co-worker putting up the Daily Show or whatever on one of his monitors

Yeah, I and several other people in my office do this occasionally as well. As long as the work is getting done I can't see why it would matter and, luckily, a programmer's work is more or less measurable.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
If I'm understanding correctly I think I just built basically this exact thing for my current job, which is sort of funny. I made an API that creates file paths for <external storage service> and then returns you metadata (ctime, dtime, path, etc.) for that file along with an ID. It also handles handing out temporary credentials to access all of those things and can handle some scheduled file archiving and stuff. But largely it just provides metadata that is not fetched from the service storing the file as well as an interface to access that data.

Once we switch our main app over to doing all of the reads/writes using this new system we should have an external store of all file data readily on hand without ever having to actually hit whatever external service we are using.

In my case it currently only has to deal with AWS but the idea is that if we ever move off of AWS we can use this same interface for all of our poo poo.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 17, 2016

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

AskYourself posted:

For a dev with 2 years experience, 16 Hours seem a little short to complete such an assignment, unless you've already done something similar before or if you are handed decent design specs.
You mention having only vague description in sublime of what the program was for, sometime employer want to see that you will ask questions when you have them. They should make themselves available for questions and answers during the allotted time too.

Yeah, I'm about to hit two years of experience with no degree and a similarly vague spec and it took me right around a month to finish it, though much of that was qualifying what exactly was wanted and integrating it with our existing code. Still, seems like an ambitious take home to expect someone at this level to nail.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 17, 2016

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

withoutclass posted:

I won't even entertain the idea of a 16 hour take home. Unless you're paying me for my time, it's absurd.

Agreed. The last time I did interviews I had a few 1~2 hour take home assignments for jr. positions in and around NYC. They were all totally doable in that time-frame and worked well as something to talk about during an actual interview rather than asking me to whiteboard Battleship for the 90th time or whatever.

I don't remember any of the specifics, but they were generally things like "here is a data file - write some script to ingest and transform that data and output it in some meaningful way". Very often this involved sanitizing the data, doing moderately complex transforms on multidimensional arrays, that kind of thing. Once they saw that I could do this they would move into "what would you do if the data file couldn't fit in memory?" types of questions. I found it really pleasant, but the poo poo being described above sounds Bad to me.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 17, 2016

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Going back and looking at this again, I literally asked "Is there a layer of persistence I can add for X reasons?" and they said "No, that's beyond the scope of this assignment".

Oh, rofl, I missed this part. Yeah, that's loving insane.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Holy gently caress the spec is TWO HUNRED loving LINES.

"The challenge proposed here is to build a system which acts as a socket
server, reading events from an *event source* and forwarding them when
appropriate to *user clients*." is the gist of it.
Off chance: how are your ux skills? The company I work for out here is great but that's our only real offering rn.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

the talent deficit posted:

i know an ex-goldman programmer (and he was a programmer, not a quant) whose bonus was 17 mil one year

How many years would he have been in jail if he took the fall for whatever earned him that bonus?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Munkeymon posted:

For a white collar thing? :lol: I'm sure it's worth it

Yeah, the answer is zero obviously I'm just wondering how he managed it.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Yeah, wages across the board of whatever Forbes calls "tech" were up 8% last year. I don't really think the (relatively) low # of jobs being impacted by this visa change will result in a 'sudden shift'. And even if wages do drop like 30% across the board, you will still be making more $ than most people working an actual job.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

CPColin posted:

Nothing wrong with turning down a 40% wage increase when it doesn't cover a 100% increase in your cost of living!

Unless your 40% wage increase is 60k and your 100% CoL increase is 20k, for example.

\/ yeah I struggle with reading.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 15, 2017

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Pollyanna posted:

The biggest thing that worries me is that this (and the stuff about being proactive) is feedback I've received before, and that this appears to be a pattern with me. That's really bad. That's the kinda thing that tanks confidence in me and I need to avoid it.

Have you considered that perhaps the feedback is true, and that instead of avoiding it you should address it?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Pollyanna posted:

That's true, I guess my questions are about how to get working on those interesting projects in the first place. Which is an easier question to ask, really...and might be a better avenue of attack.

Apply for jobs at places doing interesting work.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I distribute my résumé in the lambda calculus along w/ a compiler that I wrote. If they can't figure it out that's their problem tbh.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

mrmcd posted:

Lots of tech jobs in NYC... at least until the massive public ponzi scheme propping up our barely functional infrastructure finally collapses, taking the entire regional economy with it.

At least we have twin peaks branded metro cards now.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

metztli posted:

Ugh, totally whiffed a whiteboard section in an interview today. Just for whatever reason I could NOT wrap my head around the (admittedly) complex and (in my opinion) overly "their domain" specific question to even begin to formulate an answer.

They passed and, in a way, I'm glad - I've literally never not gotten an offer result from an in-person interview before, which means I never interviewed for a hard job imo, so this is a chance to grow and learn.

Anyone have some tips on how to handle that kind of whiteboarding issue? I think I probably should have taken more time to process it, but I felt time constrained and sort of dove in. Obviously I shouldn't do that! But other ideas?

What was the question?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
All of this poo poo varies from company to company, there is no definition of senior. As an example of how incredibly stupid titles are, pretty much everyone in sales is a Sr. Godking VP of Sales because you don't want your clients to think you are sticking them with the new guy. In software, senior usually means 'you know what you are doing more than this jr guy that you maybe mentor sometimes, maybe not, but you probably arent a manager (but maybe you are!)'. Team lead implies that you are leading a team. Are you responsible for product direction and decisions? Maybe. Depends on the corporate structure, but you've probably at least got a few people below you who you actively manage.

I've got 3 yearsish professionally under my belt but I'm in a "jr." role at my company because its run by a bunch of old dudes who recognize that calling everyone senior is stupid as hell. But in my "Jr." role I have made product decisions, I have built new services from the ground up for our platform, I have made architectural decisions and am often consulted by our "Sr." developers when they need help with things that they think I am better at or more knowledgable than them on - just as I consult them in the same way.

Don't get wrapped up in what title bucket you fall into. If you're reasonably within the HR requirements (don't apply for Director or C-level positions with 3 years of experience, etc.) then just apply for whatever looks interesting and clarify what your responsibilities would be in the interview.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 31, 2017

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Mniot posted:

For example, you may enjoy looking at Norvig's Sudoku solver and how he represents the board. It's a lovely solution, but I feel like "being an expert in AI programming" was the main ingredient.

Every time I read anything by Norvig I feel both inspired and ashamed, feels weird man.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
If tickets are unclear or missing AC it is our official policy that we will not work on them. The business owner of the ticket is responsible for making sure everything is properly specified in JIRA for the work they need done. This will typically be the dept head for whoever has requested the work. Every dept head knows this policy and as a result things end up very well specified for us in JIRA.

It's nice.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
People who are competent at their jobs get promoted into other jobs that they are probably not competent at. Good programmers become bad managers, and so on.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

This assumes managers are good at 1.) recognizing talents and contributions 2.) giving credit where it's due and not 1.) blaming others 2.) playing off accomplishments as their own. Not all places have this level of transparency.

I was mostly just posting about this, which I have found to be reasonably true. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I've really only ever worked for and with very competent and nice people. I chalk it up to luck~

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

metztli posted:

Do all the BigTech companies require CS degrees? Or do they ever hire reasonably decent devs without that background but a history of shipping product, having excellent soft skills?

If they do hire people like that, are they more forgiving of not knowing weird algorithmic stuff and do they consider the non-CS skill set when hiring?

They def. hire people without degrees, I can't imagine they are more forgiving in interviews though.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Jose Valasquez posted:

You can learn the amount of CS required for interviews a lot quicker and cheaper by just studying instead of spending tens of thousands of dollars on a degree.

Yep, I'm basically an idiot and have almost no ability to self-motivate and yet I have read ctci and understood it. Now I'm writing a lisp in C and all sorts of other poo poo you might do in school and instead of paying $40k/yr to do so, I'm (and this part is critical) doing it in my spare time while earning (again, critical, earning > paying) more than twice that number of dollars by doing the job I would be doing anyway if I had the degree.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Portland Sucks posted:

This probably needs a huge caveat *if you are the type of person who is generally successful self teaching.* There's no loving way I could have made it into this field without someone holding my hand through college to pound into me the fundamentals I needed to be successful. Now that I'm on the other side I don't need that structure, but the value was actually in the education that allowed me to get the first job.

Sure but Pollyanna already has a job.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Tell the CTO you are most comfortable explaining the situation through interpretive dance then put on a mask of your boss and start goose stepping around the conference room.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

I rescind my comments. He definitely does. Super positive meeting with near-immediate change happening and if I'm not happy after that, there are a few roles that will be open for a while (multiple roles on multiple teams) that they'd be glad to put me on.

Nice, congrats!

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living.

It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest.

The youth of today are absolutely right in recognizing this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors.

The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
The important part of the notion I quoted above is more that you wouldn't have to work for someone else.

Plenty of people already elect not to work, or to pursue things that don't pay out a living wage because they really want to make artisanal puppets or be renaissance fair blacksmiths or whatever. And they suffer for it. And humanity suffers for the systems it has constructed.

I don't mind writing code, but I'd much rather not have to work for a living so I could spend my days reading and working on personal projects instead of fixing some dickhead's spreadsheets.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skandranon posted:

That capitalism isn't perfect doesn't mean communism is the obvious answer. I'm pretty sure far more people suffered (and died) tremendously more under communism in the USSR, and this is also very easy to look up.

Who in this conversation do you think is arguing that a good way to reduce global work-induced stress and malaise is to blanket soviet communism over the world?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
For the sake of argument, those of you who seem to be in the know, where would you start with fp if you might someday want to work using the paradigm?

I've been eyeing elixir bc the erlang vm seems incredibly sweet and it has a reasonable syntax but I've actually had the same kind of reservations (without actual cause, just suspicion) about it being run by rubyists.

I guess I could just use erlang but hoooo boy.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 8, 2018

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'm writing a lisp in C right now, following along with that "write a lisp in c" tutorial that a coworker put me onto, really enjoying it actually. I'm not afraid of new languages, new paradigms are the tougher challenge from where I'm sitting.

I sort of do care about the distsys stuff, its the area of computing that most interests me that I've never really touched. I'll probably just stick w/ Elixir and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I pay half towards a mortgage in a wealthy Brooklyn neighborhood and it's $1k. We did a full gut on a tight budget and the place is beautiful. Basically, y'all should work on being way luckier.