Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
My company is currently considering undergoing a major transformation to our engineering side and is looking into moving all us mobile engineers from the major platforms into a single 'multi platform' team. We would be using a product that allows you to build a shared C# codebase that can build out native apps for all platforms. For a variety of reasons, I am not really interested in moving to this new platform, as I feel I have a lot of skills in iOS and also a lot to learn. I feel at this point in my career that it's more important for me to continue learning development for a native platform than some cross platform solution.
My question is, if my company does decide to go down this route, how open should I be that I am looking to leave with my new manager? I have made my reservations, both technical and business-wise very clear to those above me, but it seems very likely this decision is going to be ramrodded through by upper management. I am just curious where the line is - I have a casual relationship with my new manager so I wouldn't feel uncomfortable telling him I'm looking elsewhere, but I am unsure of the unofficial protocol of looking for a new job while being currently employed and how open I should be about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

Alright thanks, figured as much. I get along very well with all my coworkers so it feels tempting to me to be open about moving on, but you're right in that it has a very large potential to not work as planned.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

I have a question about how to deal with a current situation I'm having with a coworker.

I am part of a small two person team that works on a client version of a product my company is putting a lot of emphasis on. I came onto the project about six months after my coworker started working on it from scratch, and he built a ton of the underlying infrastructure and modules we use daily. He is an amazingly talented guy, and I've really enjoyed working on this project with him because I learn all the time looking at his code and he has held me to a pretty high standard for code formatting and how I approach problems, which I really feel has strengthened me as a developer.

However, for the last two months or so he stopped showing up on Mondays and Tuesdays. I thought it was a temporary thing because he really burned it at both ends for a while getting everything ready for our alpha release, and our manager who oversees all the client devs was out on an extended vacation so I figured he was taking it easy while he could. It also wasn't like the project was slipping because of it, he was putting in great work on the days he did come in and everything is still on schedule. It was frustrating for a bit because he is totally AWOL on those days, and would miss weekly scheduled meetings and not respond to emails until he was back in the office. However, this has not stopped since our manager got back, and this week it's been even worse since he has not shown up at all this week or responded to any emails.

Barring the situation that something bad happened, how should I deal with this? Should I deal with it at all? The product manager has definitely noticed and commented to me that it's hard scheduling meetings when the dude just doesn't show up to the office, but I don't think the dev manager has noticed how frequently he ghosts or maybe just assumes he's working from home a lot. I really don't want to be the guy going to our manager and saying "this guy isn't showing up to work half the week, reprimand him", but at the same time it's sometimes hard for me to continue working on my tasks because I want to have a discussion about refactoring something he created, and there is no way to talk to him about it.I feel like this can't go on forever, should I just hope our dev manager catches on soon and handles it?