Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Had a phone call with a recruiter who turned out to be a headhunter, instead of an internal recruiter like I thought. Of course they want my resume, which (based on past experience with headhunters) I expect they'll then edit to put their own contact info in and then send to companies. Should I hand it over? I'm not actually clear on if that's a bad thing from my perspective.
There is very little downside if you weren't going to find the places that they're shopping you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I've been very lucky in my management career to be able to build my own teams for the most part. That makes most of the usual management headaches a lot easier/less frequent if you're decent at hiring. I've generally spent a lot of my time on making sure there are good processes in place, developing people, and doing air cover. All of that stuff is way more fun than the HR stuff that happens with bad employees.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

Second and third happened on the exact same trip to California. First was a half-day, 4 hour on-site that went great. No complaints. Their internal told me that everyone had positive feedback and they were looking likely to offer. In the airport on the way home, the recruiter says, "I didn't think we were doing this, but the CTO wants to do a follow up with you." I schedule it for the next day and have what I think is a pleasant chat with him. They come back the next day saying no thanks and, "We don't actually have a process to give candidates feedback at this stage because this hasn't happened before." I still don't know what I said that made the CTO bug out on me...

This probably wasn't anything you said to the CTO. I'd bet that they pushed you up to the CTO for hiring approval, he saw something in your resume that didn't align with what he was looking for in the role and your in person with him didn't clear that block (very possibly because he wanted someone with 10 years in X that you don't have).

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

The point is that sometimes you're asked to poo poo can people to make budget work, in those cases what do you do if your team is solid?

It sucks, but you figure out who you can best live without. If the company is losing money, eventually nobody has a job

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

Being a manager means that it would be my job to make John more productive and to be rewarded for Jake being a good employee, but I had no input on the second and no idea how to improve the first.

Well, hiring and retaining top talent (e.g. Jake) is something you'd have input in generally. If you gave Jake all the crappy work or let him get bored or allowed the work environment to be crappy for him in some way then he'd leave. For John, while some people will always have trouble seeing the big picture, there are some coaching strategies that can work to make them less bad at it. I've drawn decision trees on the whiteboard before when talking through this sort of problem and pointed out that they were heading down one branch when they didn't meet the criteria for making that decision (e.g. is there a higher priority interrupt that this person is already dealing with?). But that's part of the creative art of management.

Falcon2001 posted:

Edit: the other part of it is that being a manager means that your success is based on other people's work, and as someone with pretty intense imposter syndrome and work anxiety already sometimes, boy that sounds like just ulcers waiting to happen.

Yeah, that part is harder to get used to.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

jemand posted:

I'm fully aware our group would very greatly benefit from more actual layers and that I'll realistically be getting very limited amounts of coaching & feedback from my manager, but I also don't have high hopes for anything changing anytime soon with this structure. Does anyone have advice for how to operate in such a situation in the meantime? Currently, I'm planning on building a more wide network of contacts, coaches, & mentors from around the organization more generally that might help me out with any specific gaps in the direct channel. I have a start on that, but need to be a bit more deliberate to add some new perspectives. Other options are less clear to me & I would appreciate any ideas from this thread.

Find a mentor and hire a leadership coach. My first leadership role was reporting to a VP and it sucked. No support and high expectations of what I could do independently which I wasn't in a position to match for obvious reasons.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

jemand posted:

This strikes me as a fantastic idea that wasn't really on my radar. How do I find such a person? Any thread experiences here for what people generally look to get out of this?

My general advice around coaching is that you'll do best hiring coaches that specialize in what your gaps are. As a new leader, I'd look for a coach that has done your same role (e.g. product development full stack engineering manager) as an ideal, but varying is ok if you get good recommendations from people who were new to management in similar roles when they got coaching. I have a fairly fully developed curriculum that I run my new managers through as they move up from IC to leader; you'd want a coach who has something similar from doing it so often. Managing up ought to be one of the key skills they focus on with you early since going from IC to reporting to an SVP means you're going to need to be operating about 3 levels up from where you just were.

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

jemand posted:

Thanks all. I've got at least a few ideas now on how / where / who to ask about coaching. Hopefully this new position goes well-- it'll be quite a learning experience at least.

When I I’m your shoes it was the most difficult 6 months of my career but I learned a ton and it set me up well for my next gig which was by far and away my favorite job. Just stay positive, keep learning and regularly remind yourself that you are doing basically an entirely new job so of course it’s hard. After you learn delegation and how to prioritize it’ll get much, much easier.