Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

shrughes posted:

Well actually, if you want to generate a uniformly random number in C, you do have to worry about it. Whether you use rand() or read bytes off of /dev/urandom, you'll have to convert from base 2^k to whatever your number is.

If you're using rand() you might as well not worry about it and just use mod since your results will be poo poo regardless of what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Dog Jones posted:

when I first came in, 40 - 50% of unit tests were failing. I was very surprised to learn that this had been the case for multiple iterations, and it was considered to be just an unfortunate fact.
It's okay, you're in good company.

Such as PHP.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Does a unit test actually exist if no one ever actually looks at the results of running it?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

If you end up getting the job, you could just take a week vacation between jobs to make up for the missed week. Doesn't work out too well if you don't, though.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Adahn the nameless posted:

Don't tell people that. Find a way to spin it. I did the same thing over 8 months and easily got another dev job when I pulled my head out of the weeds.
I don't think you even really need to spin it. If you're looking for a job at a large stuff company then discovering that you don't work well in unstructured self-directed environments isn't really a problem, and anywhere else taking a few years to try to build a company and failing generally isn't seen as a bad thing.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

As a general rule, if equity in a company has any actual value when you join, you're too late to get any meaningful amount of it. If you're an employee (as opposed to a cofounder), you should demand market-rate salary and view the equity as just a potential bonus if you do succeed.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

Don't get me wrong, someone might well balk at you asking those questions. But a startup is inherenlty risky, and you want to make your decision with an understanding of as much of that risk as you can. If they want to hide that information from you, it could be a red flag.
They may be iffy about giving concrete numbers, but if they won't even give you a ballpark of how long they can keep making payroll then the answer is almost certainly "not very long".

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I've never had a computer "break" or wear out on me, even with a few years where I was gaming 8+ hours a day on a laptop and simultaneously torrenting hundreds of gigabytes of files. I've had to replace parts occasionally, but the overwhelming majority of the computer parts I've ever owned still worked fine when I last used them and were replaced only because they were outdated.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

in_cahoots posted:

Every day for the past week I've gotten emails (cc-ed to my manager and a bunch of other people) between 10pm and 5am, asking me to look at something so they can continue their work. This includes Saturday and Sunday. I don't want to be the reason we fall behind, but I'm not sure how to push back.

Don't look at work email in any way over the weekend and if anyone complains tell them to gently caress off? If they're blocked on you at a time when you're not working then that's their problem, and they're trying to make it yours instead.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

pr0zac posted:

IANAM but as far as I can tell Facebook does something similar to stack ranking but theres no pre-prescribed percentages for each level so its possible for there to be no one in the "should be fired" ranges.
The prescribed percentages for each range is pretty much the single defining quality of stack ranking. Without that you just have normal performance reviews.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Wear clean clothes which fit you which you're comfortable in which are more formal than pajamas and less formal than anything involving a tie.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

How many of you guys are presented (initially at least) with a contract that gives ownership of anything you come up with off-hours to the company? Actually the one on my desk right now also claims anything I might have ever come up with prior to my employment and fail to disclose.

So how common is this poo poo?

Every employment contract I've ever signed has had wordage like that, followed by the required notice that under California law the previous page is null and void.

If you have revenue-generating side things talk to a lawyer. It'll only take an hour or two for them to read the contract and tell you exactly what the implications are and answer any questions you may have.

Plorkyeran fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 18, 2015

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The "declare the poo poo you've already done" part is so that you can't do something a year from now and then claim to have done it previously.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

It will always amaze me that a large number of programmers cannot do FizzBuzz-y type poo poo and I probably won't believe it until I'm a manager.

There's a big difference between "a large number of programmers" and "a large number of people applying for programming jobs".

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Pretty much! They're reimplementing basically everything that ASP does automatically on the client end but in Java. It's an abortion. Other junior devs are like "why would I want to work here when nobody else uses this technology that they're going to cancel in 2 years like everything else they ever make?"

GWT is close to ten years old and is still being used for new projects at Google, so worrying about it being canceled is pretty dumb.

All of the things that they've said use it are pretty awful, so I suspect there's other good reasons to avoid it, though.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

If you're young and healthy you can go as low as $2k/year for emergency-only health insurance, but it can be $10k+ for real coverage (or more if you have a family). If you're guaranteed 40 hours per week then you can hit 2000 hours with ~13 days off, but keep in mind that holidays and sick time come out of that, so you generally won't actually be able to get 2 weeks of vacation and still hit 2000 hours without OT. Tax-wise you're looking at another 15% between SS and having to pay both halves of the payroll tax. The cost of losing your 401k benefits should be obvious.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

$4 million in revenue with 30 employees means they aren't profitable, but their burn rate is going to be pretty low and if it's only been a year since they raised $10 million they should have years of runway even without further growth.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Or if literally every person responsible for the current state of things has already left.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I hope you aren't planning on having any money left over after paying for your apartment and sailboat.

Obvious solution is to just live on the boat.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

They'll look great after a few months of living there.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

100% of the personal gifts from bosses I've received have been followed up with "you deserve a big raise, but..."

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can, but your commute will be 45 minutes each way on a good day.
Even 45 minutes out the prices are only cheap compared to SF. That's about how long my commute is from downtown Berkeley, and studios in my building are creeping up close to $2k/month for new tenants. There's cheaper areas near bart stations, but they're places you really don't want to live.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

There's clearly a relationship between title and pay
No, that's really not clear at all outside the context of people at a single large company. My pay's gone monotonically up, but my title has zig-zagged all over the place and none of the pay bumps have coincided with title bumps.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

While I consider Eagle Scout an achievement, bragging about something you did as a teenager when you're 30 is still kinda weird.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Space Whale posted:

What happened was "$priorJob signed a huge contract with NDA so a lot of people ran around like chickens with their heads cut off, CTO dancing around humming zipadeedoodah, I just did what was told instead of CYA-ing, and communication/management breakdown bit me in the rear end. I think. Nobody actually told me poo poo and the only fact is Monday contract signed Tuesday I'm gone. I have no idea if anyone else left as I was all but snuck out and on linkedin my coworkers were shocked."

If I say that I'm going to look whiny or resentful. I honestly don't care but someone's gonna ask why I was at a place only 8 months, especially when the first job in town had layoffs after only 3 months. That first job will happily explain it all, but the second won't say poo poo when HR answers, per their policy, and all I was told was "bad fit" and "I wouldn't even worry you are a good dev."

If you were there as a contractor you don't even need an explanation beyond that for an 8-month position. You can't go much longer than that as a fake-FTE before the company starts risking trouble with the IRS.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Java doesn't have operator overloading so == is always pointer equality for objects.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I've never had a boss be a dick to me or chastise me over a fuckup, and it's not because I've never hosed up.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The "If you can't afford to do the things you want to do then ask for a raise rather than fabricating expense reports" part of it is good advice, at least. Another one of the memos tells people to stop whining about how they can't find any workers and to just pay more if they have to, which is something that many companies seem to not be able to figure out...

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

rt4 posted:

That one's actually the fault of the MySQL API

The actual problem was that the standard library for a high-level dynamically typed scripting language was a bunch of low quality super thin bindings for C libraries.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Iverron posted:

It did seem a little odd that a place of 200 odd people would be entirely independent contractors. It can't be that easy to stay within the boundaries.

Maybe that's a plus?

For remote-only work it's a lot more plausible. Any place with a meaningful number of 1099s working out of their office is very likely to be lining themselves up for a lawsuit.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The third-party vendor setup generally involves the employee being a normal W-2 employee of the vendor, so while they tend to get hosed on equity and such (where applicable) there isn't really anything legally iffy going on.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

No, conferences and such fill the same role for non-entry-level positions.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Some teams are reasonably good, some are nightmarish. Make sure you get the chance to talk to the team you'd be on and probe hand.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Volguus posted:

A bit of background:
I've been working part-time for the last 2 years for a little startup (2 people, one full blown business-suit who is the CEO and one scientist/developer). The projects were interesting and I enjoyed the additional income. Through the work of the CEO they have received some funding recently (few mil $). Therefore they have asked me (informally, nothing written yet) to join them full-time.

Question:
I would like to join them since i don't particularly like my day job anyway. I do expect that I will receive some stock options, and I do expect that the salary they'll offer will be competitive. But ... should I ask to be made co-founder? If yes, how? What does co-founder even mean, actually? Just a title, with a bit of stake in the company or is it more than that? I remember reading a long time ago an article titled "Better to be the last co-founder than the first employee". How could/should I go about it?

Thank you.

Once a company has raised a few million it's very much been "founded" and asking to be made a co-founder at that point is an insult.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I've never regretted my decision to do my utmost best to never touch front-end web dev again, and it's never been even remotely an issue because I just stopped applying to jobs that could plausibly involve front-end web dev.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Dropping maven for gradle is one of the worst ideas possible.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Maybe, but what I said was "Use a disfunctional org to learn a marketable skill." Which is probably a bit less objectionable.

You also don't want to work for a company looking for Gradle knowledge. It's like learning COBOL in that it would help you get jobs, but they aren't jobs you want.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The Maven approach of having build system plugins written in a real programming language combined with an anemic declarative project format is far superior to a turing complete project format. Obviously the degenerate end state is the same (your build system is just a pile of java in a plugin and your project file does nothing but load that plugin), but it does a much better job of making the default thing to do sane.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Paolomania posted:

Yeah I thought "cloud services" was pretty much just each company productizing the infrastructure they had already developed for their own services.

I don't think this is actually the case for a single one of the major cloud services providers. Google sort of tried with AppEngine, but even then the public thing was still a fork of what they had internally (which very quickly fell behind the internal version, and then eventually went in a very different direction).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

For sure many (most?) Google internal apps run on AppEngine. I think the version is identical to the external version.

Is that a recent (as in last few years) development? When I was last working on a project using AppEngine we ended up asking about that after a support request got elevated up to the actual developer responsible for the feature in question and got a very explicit "no, it's not the codebase our internal stuff runs on, it's an out of date fork that's diverging more over time".