Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I'd prefer to work that week and take some other week but it generally doesn't work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Ploft-shell crab posted:

I think copy paste > abstraction can be pretty true & I like this blog post talking about why(tef also has a blog post on this).

https://www.sandimetz.com/blog/2016/1/20/the-wrong-abstraction

Obviously the rest of the stuff looks pretty weird though

There's a very big difference between "duplication is better than the wrong abstraction" and "duplication is better than abstraction".

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

I'd honestly be interested to know what stored procedures are good for these days. Is performance the only real improvement anymore, and how gargantuan a system do you have to have for it to be worth the trouble?

If you have multiple applications sharing a database then putting the database-related logic in the applications basically doesn't work, but these days it's often going to be a better choice to write a microservice that the applications talk to rather than effectively embedding one in the DB.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Yes, it's pretty common. Part of it is that finding work for junior employees actually takes a decent amount of time from more senior people.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Work at a startup that's at the scale where you decide what you're working on and there's no delegation involved. It's not necessarily better, but it sounds like you would benefit from seeing the other extreme.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

It's not always quite so explicit, but every time I've had an interview include lunch they've definitely switched out of interview mode while we were eating. It's usually just a chance to get to know the people you'd be working with and to get a feel for what the culture is like.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Unless you're looking to hire people desperate for any job they can get their hands on, the candidate is evaluating the company just as much as the company is evaluating the candidate.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The key to moving across the country is to not bring your stuff along.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

A start-up I'm talking to is not offering individual contributors equity because the CEO has had bad experiences with employees doing resting and vesting. Instead, they want to pay at or above market and offer bonuses with stock grants, not options or RSUs. Cynical me sees this as another way to avoid diluting cap tables for the investors and execs and makes even more money for them while screwing over naive folks. CEO has a track record of successful ventures into 9 figures, so this is a strong probability. I'm concerned that they could dangle stock grants in my face and after I burn out once again I'd come out with not much over 3 years when the company sells for $2Bn+ while under 300 employees. The only exit I have as a personal reference for was for ~120% of my annual salary in ISOs when I was a junior engineer and I'd expect 400%+ now. Anyone ever had this variable comp / bonus structure work out for them?

Er, they're offering you actual money instead of pretend money that has a tiny chance of being worth something and you think you're getting hosed?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

wearing a tie with a polo would be weird

A tie with a polo would be pretty much peak "SV dev trying to dress up".

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The one time I did defense contracting the project I was working on was explicitly never intended to actually be used. A different department already had a working version of the thing we were building but wouldn't share it, so we were supposed to make it look like we had a bunch of useful features they didn't have so that they'd agree to an exchange. Naturally the punchline was that it turned out that their version didn't work either.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Wow is that not a happy thread.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Pie Colony posted:

Maybe this is my own ignorance, but if they were hiring for the role before the funding round, why would they suddenly stop hiring for it during?

Fundraising rounds often take like 6 months. Until the deal closes, you need to make sure that you have enough runway to start over in case the current thing falls through. At the start of the process they have enough money to pay everyone for another year, and cutting that to 11 months with some new hires isn't a big deal. Right before a round closes, they might only have a few months left and will have to cut expenses as much as possible if it doesn't happen, so they don't want to take on any new FTEs. They don't want to completely pause the hiring process during that time though, as it takes loving forever to find people to hire.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I've averaged 13k/year since my first post-college job with only one spike from a job change and not particularly trying to get raises/promotions.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

By not saying anything at all and letting them make their own mistakes? It's not your responsibility to police your friend.

Part of being a good friend is letting them know when you think they're making a mistake.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

prisoner of waffles posted:

VC it feels like you want to make some distinction between two classes of employers, like "good ones like where I work" and "everywhere else"? but it's still incredibly hazy to me what this distinction is and whether it is real.

There's a clear distinction between tech companies that have to fight over every hire and pay lots of money and other companies, but I think VC is overestimating the nature of the difference. The big tech companies will still gently caress you when they can, but it's a lot less obvious when that just means you're making $200k rather than the $300k you could be.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

In an established company the seniority level of a position is very important, but the title is not a very useful way to compare positions between companies.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

There's no personal insult, although given that you quoted and responded to text for someone else I don't hold your posting in the highest regard. That was a dry description of the bad faith you're employing to whiz right past the point, but I'm sure if you double down and act like you're the aggrieved one here it'll work out!

Forget 10 vs. 300 for a sec though. WeWork had 8,000 SWE's. Do you think they had a rigid and strict process, or did their audience and domain somehow affect it more than organizational size?

You appear to be attempting to use WeWork as an example of a company that doesn't need strict process despite their size because of their problem domain. Such arguments work better if you don't pick a company known mostly for being a gigantic disaster as an example.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

lifg posted:

WeWork is like Theranos. It's something that just seems like it should work, like its time has come. I totally get why everyone invested.

When you strip away the bullshit, WeWork is something whose time came 20 years ago, and there’s already several large and modestly profitable companies in that space. WeWork’s differentiating factor was that because they were burning VC money they could provide a nicer offering without charging more.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Regus has pretty thin margins, so assuming that they haven't made any major avoidable fuckups that burned money there probably isn't a lot of room to be better than them without charging more.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

If you manage to buy a house in the bay area you can convert your rent into savings. That's a big motivator to move here.

More realistically you can convert your rent into property tax, and then also have to pay for a mortgage on top of that.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Is it unreasonable to ask for the new company to give you a cash bonus on top of your starting bonus, that's equivalent to what it would cost to buy out your vested shares at the old company?

Old company is a dead ringer for going IPO and/or getting acquired, looks like my strike price is 1/6 of the current value based on our latest funding round. I did the math and I think even after taxes I could pay off 5% of my mortgage with what I have vested so far. edit: my ability to buy out the shares expires after X days, where X < 365, and time to IPO > X

There's some complex calculus involving staying at the current company & letting more share vest vs new job/salary etc, but let's ignore that for a moment.

Er, if you're sticking to the 30% of your income on house rule then 5% of your mortgage is only like 3 months salary. A chance to maybe get a one-time 25% bonus at some point more than a year in the future is not a very golden set of handcuffs. Even if you were a time traveler and knew for sure that the IPO will happen 18 months from now it wouldn't take that large of a large salary bump to beat that.

Obviously you should ask for a signing bonus to make up for what you're walking away from because companies don't cancel offers because you asked for more money, but unless you dropped a digit or something it doesn't sound like you're walking away from enough to make it a reason to justify staying at your current job if they say no.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Hughlander posted:

I'm just going to leave this here... https://onezero.medium.com/a-year-after-an-hr-crisis-microsoft-backs-away-from-releasing-a-transparency-report-c724ce636349

On to other subjects... INTERNS!

Just noticed that the intern we really like is only a Sophmore. I've never had a Sophmore intern before. How do people handle that for setting expectations in the future? Do you automatically extend an offer to them to come back in their Junior year? Do you tell them that you like them and to look you up in two years but next year you're going to look at other candidates to keep that funnel as wide as possible? Spoiler: We really like this guy.

Tell them that you’d love to have them back next year, and then reach out again at the start of intern hiring season. Absolutely do not tell someone you want to hire to go work somewhere else first.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

are there any figgieland companies that aren't morally abhorrent? i guess netflix? maybe microsoft?

The only tech companies you can ethically work for are startups that are shoveling VC money into a furnace without ever releasing a product. Once you have revenue you’re hosed.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Volguus posted:

The statute of limitations on those things is for the rest of my life. It doesn't matter how many billions Gates gives to charities, how cozy they are now with Linux, I do not care even if they throw away windows entirely and make & market their own linux distribution, what they did will forever stain them from my perspective. Balmer called Linux and OSS a cancer less than 20 years ago and that will not be forgotten or forgiven.

But that's just me.

I think there is a clear hierarchy of badness between companies complicit in genocide and companies being mean to nerds. As lovely of a company as 90s MS was, their capacity for having a negative effect on the world was quite limited compared to what tech companies can do today.

"There is no ethical consumption under capitalism" is not an excuse to just throw up your hands and declare everyone equal.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Not for a living, at least not working in any remotely big gamedev outfit. But making games is fun. Just view it as more of a sabbatical or retirement option than a job.

A sabbatical is definitely the best way to think about working on an indie game full time. If you're lucky you might get some money at the end of it, but you shouldn't plan on it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

If you're at the stage of talking about money and they have any issue at all with telling you how much runway they have that's a pretty big red flag.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Bonuses can be anywhere from a blatant lie that no one actually gets to just a normal part of your wages that they want to count separately from your salary for whatever reason. Determining where a given company lands is very important. Never counting bonuses as part of the total comp will make you pass on some very good offers, while counting it when you shouldn't have will obviously result in you getting hosed.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Guinness posted:

Yeah exactly, and the peanut gallery on HN and /r/programming have already been gushing over how brilliant it is, despite the closing statement saying it's unrealistic.

Top comment on HN says they actually did this and loved it

HN is for reading the submission title and writing a post that will show how smart you are on the same topic, not for reading submissions and commenting on them.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Asking a question where the answer is "I'd use a trie" is a pretty mediocre interview question. It's such an obvious answer in the places where it's applicable that you're really just asking if they've heard of a trie before and that's a very strange thing to judge a candidate on.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

FWIW my NYC-based employer's regional comp adjustment is +15% for SFBA versus the baseline NY pay. It's lower but still basically figgieland pay.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

There's a one-year grace period where you don't have to pay a late payment fee if your withholdings would have covered your entire tax burden from the previous year so you shouldn't need to worry about it until you do your taxed for this year and have a better idea of how everything works out (or next year's taxes if you have the usual one-year vesting cliff).

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Nothing will get better tax-wise by waiting.

If exercising all of your options and sitting on the stock for a year is tying up more of your current wealth than you're comfortable with, then you should try to figure out how much you are okay with tying up and exercise that much at least. Another option is to exercise it all, sell enough to cover the exercise price and tax bill, then sit on the rest for a year. This leaves you in the same position as you would have been if you did nothing if your employer does abruptly go bankrupt and your stock becomes worthless overnight somehow, but a much better position than doing nothing if you make it a year without that happening. $12 -> $85 is such a large jump that even after paying short-term taxes on some of it you'll be left with the bulk of your gains being long-term.

Be sure you understand the AMT implications of selling ISOs when calculating your tax bill.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

minato posted:

To elaborate on how FAANG performance evaluations create undesirable behavior: basically every 6 months you have to "justify your job". Every other place I worked, perf evals are perfunctory and don't really count for much unless you're angling for a promotion. At a FAANG though, you have to demonstrate your impact. While this sounds perfectly reasonable - you're getting paid a lot of money, you should be able to justify why - it incentivizes some devious behaviors.

Examples:
- Metrics are better than intangibles, so focus on projects that have measurable impact. Better to say "We made product X 20% faster" than "I refactored this code to make it easier to maintain". Result: code hygiene or any improvement that's hard to measure tends to be left by the wayside, resulting in an awful codebase and lots of tech debt. Also, don't work on any project that can't show results within the next perf cycle, or has a risk of failure.

- Saying you launched a product is better than saying you supported an existing one. So join a team that's launching a product, then immediately leave once it's released. Result: the product's subject-matter-experts all leave after the launch and the product crumbles.

- Volunteering for certain things (interviewing, mentoring, being on councils, etc) is considered a plus, but you're never evaluated for your impact. So just sign up for as much as possible and put in as little effort. Result: should speak for itself.

- Positive peer reviews count for a lot. So, make some friends, form a cabal, and positively review each other. Result: inauthentic evaluation data. (There was a variation of this when Stack Ranking was a thing; the seniors knew the lowest tier would be culled, so they'd collaborate to save themselves)

These are not "FAANG" things. This sounds like a description of Google's perf review process and you're just assuming that the other four companies are identical.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Even in-person interviews aren't immune to cheating. Someone other than the person you interviewed showing up to work for you is a problem large companies have to deal with.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Just give soft-hards and hard-mediums in a timed takehome style with a 24 hour window once you start.

What the gently caress is this sentence supposed to mean?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The relevant things from the actual firm are mostly how much pressure you're under related to billable hours and how they pick clients. If you're expected to get 40 billable hours per week, that means you're going to be working quite a bit more than 40 hours. Most of your working time is spent with clients and not other people at your consulting firm. Some firms don't care about anything other than the client's ability to pay, and some will be more picky. The latter are usually better to work for.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Every web site is a distributed system even if the server is running on a single machine in a single process.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The punchline being that they kinda do still do stack ranking?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Guinness posted:

This is standard because the vesting is a taxable event, and the entire market value of the vesting shares on the vest date is considered ordinary income.

The capital gains (or loss) only applies to the difference from vest date to sale date.

PS - they also probably underwithheld at 22% so you probably owe even more at tax time

Amusingly the thing which seems to confuse people most about RSU taxes is just how straightforward they are compared to ESPP shares and options. Everything else involving stock is complicated so it seems impossible that RSUs really are just the same as getting cut a check for their market value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The double-trigger is specifically because they are taxed exactly as if they just gave you money, and getting taxed on something that you can't sell yet causes people liquidity issues.