Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I see where you're coming from, but also think you're dead wrong.

Wrong about what? Do you have an articulable complaint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

leper khan posted:

What is it with Silicon Valley companies? I send a nice message saying basically, "My company wants to maybe give you money because you had the good sense to not BSD license your technology." And I come into work this morning to two of them basically saying, "Yeah, we don't do that."

If they start selling, they'll have a number to give their investors, and they don't want that.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
That's a really good idea for maximizing retention.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I interpreted it as shaming Node devs/bozos in/from the open source "community."

Not all Node developers.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Cyber. Cyber cyber. Cyyyyber!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
At least they're nesting their emphasis brackets properly.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Volguus posted:

Well, let's be serious, if you're good enough to work for Google, you're good enough to work anywhere.

Let's be serious: no, Google's bar is pretty low.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
What does it mean if there are balloons all over the floor?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Any advice for dealing with severe imposter syndrome when coming from a work environment where you feel like you didn't progress very much? :ohdear: Half-kidding, but this is going to be a pretty big rude awakening.

Modern popularized "imposter syndrome" is made of inadequate people trying to convince themselves they're wrong about being poo poo. So buck up and improve yourself.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
So I applied for a job and got an email from an internal recruiter asking to schedule a call (on some online calendar thingy). Next available time was a bit more than 2 weeks from now. How do you get things moving faster?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Tell them you're expecting an offer from someone else, duah.

It'd kind of be a bald-faced lie, given the timing relative to the holidays. Anyway a hole opened up and I'm scheduled for tomorrow.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Oh god this gets so much worse when you see how old this guy is. Was expecting some 21-year-old with a stupid-rear end grin.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Nobody I've worked for has said that, and guess what: the world doesn't owe you a living. The U.S. job market seems better than all the other ones to me.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
If you're Jeff Dean.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Keeping the total annual number of H1B's fixed, I think auctioning off H1B's or increasing the price floor is bad for good developers, because it means that all the H1B's will have to be high quality developer spots, instead of being worthless $60K retards. Thus lowering the demand for good non-H1B developers. So I'm kind of worried.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Actually, the highest paid H1Bs are doctors - like you can have a cardiologist, radiologist, etc. Only approximately 1000 H1Bs in the history of the H1B program were filed for software engineers that made >130k.

You don't seem to be contradicting what I am saying. What I'm saying is, if nobody can get cheap $60k H1B's, that'll leave expensive H1B's which come in and compete on the high end of the market.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
People that can't think about easy data structures / algorithms are unfit for high level software decision making so you need to test for that too.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
This isn't about pure management though, this is about technical decision making.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The main problem with clang format is that it hides when you've got a whacko that can't follow the coding style around them. It's a big warning sign.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Pollyanna posted:

On the other hand, I'm at the point in my career where what language I work in and what framework I use is less important than how well managed the project is, amicable co-workers, good management in general, comfortable work setup (e.g. remote vs. nice office etc.), good mentoring/senior engineer support, benefits, and the opportunity to work on something cool.

It sounds to me like you're at the point of your career where you need to figure out to be useful and valued at whatever company you do wind up at. "Good mentoring/senior engineer support" is code for blaming others for your own inability to get poo poo done and improve yourself while doing it.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
A response to you making multiple posts about multiple employers unsatisfied with your work output. All the other newbie developers I know don't keep talking about how poor mentorship is the cause of their problems.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The unemployment rate is like 5%, yes that omits losers that dropped out of the workforce and take opiates/watch TV all day. People can definitely find other jobs, they're probably worse jobs.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
How can you disagree with me without contradicting anything I said?

An actual disagreement would be: there are other jobs for these people and EA is taking advantage of labor stickiness.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I was pointing out that quoting the unemployment rate and nothing else is stupid. Underemployment is rampant and the people dying of opiates while watching TV all day are probably discouraged workers who are not technically unemployed but don't have jobs.

They're actually people who are perfectly capable of working but don't. Likewise people at EA could get jobs elsewhere -- which suck more. At this point in time everybody knows about how EA is, it isn't a bait and switch. EA offers approximately the best deal they can get. It's actually a nice job as far as jobs go, being some game art slave.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
What's so bad about it? You go to work, get money, little to no chance of getting impaled by a forklift. If you'd rather work somewhere else, go convince somebody else to give you money for your skilled labor. It's that simple.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Pollyanna I strongly recommend getting a job before quitting, you'll have a much easier time being choosy over your next employer that way.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

feedmegin posted:

Or, y'know, Qt.

I laughed, but then again I thought this was an alternative to an enterprise SQL database.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Greatbacon posted:

Also, when talking about PTO/sick days, many states have laws that require employers to pay out any unused PTO when an employee quits.

Of course, if you have unlimited (or rather zero defined) PTO, they don't have to pay you anything when you leave. It wouldn't surprise me if that combined with no defined PTO makes it easy to pressure people into not taking vacations was the real reason unlimited PTO took off in SV.

At the place I worked it was the former -- they had 4 weeks, no pressure about vacation usage, and switched to unlimited after I told them they had to pay out my unused vacation a week or so before my last day. Which they didn't know!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe it's my millennial nature expressing itself, but I get really nervous when I think of tying several years of my life to the whims of a single company. I can't even stay in a single apartment for a year, staying at a company for that long is like :psyduck: So much can go wrong.

Think about it this way: There are two futures: One where you decide to stay at the same company for a while, and another where you decide to leave the company. The former is the preferable future -- it means you like the place you work at!

Obviously you've got no obligation to stay for 3 years. But you should want that to be the outcome. (It's also good for personal growth to have to deal with your own code that you write a couple of years later.)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Oh god no, not elite educations!

I guess the retard squad has escaped from sh/sc.

Also Pollyanna he's right, you need to man the gently caress up and be able to handle PG-13-level adult situations.

And you should note, the stakes are low. A new job or not, it's a small part of your life and always a fixable situation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Pollyanna you should move away from Boston. It's a bad, cold, miserable place to live. I moved away and I don't regret it.

Getting a job before you move is the usual advice and even if you have savings built up I see no reason not to make that your methodology. Apparently you've got plenty of time to do phone/skype interviews.

Beware that if you're like me you might be pinning general life dissatisfaction on a particular job, and changing jobs won't help things. The same advice applies to people mad about how, uh... VC's are investing money in things.

Incidentally in oldie programming news I got a job the other day, so apparently a 2.5 year employment gap won't kill the career. My general job-hunting recommendations:

1. Send resumes to multiple places instead of one or two at a time.
2. There's a higher ratio of interesting jobs on the monthly thread on Hacker News than most other places, and if you wait until the middle of the month before sending resumes, it looks like you aren't desperate/applying to everything.
3. There was some interesting stuff on Stack Overflow jobs.
4. Forget about looking at any employers in San Diego
5. Use the official Go font on your resume, and you'll get a job programming Go :eng101:

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Pollyanna posted:

That's not their call to make. Salary is tied to cost of living and real value that the engineer brings to the company.

Wrong. It's tied to the engineer's next best offer.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

leper khan posted:

Why do they need video of you?

It's easier to tell if people are lying/evasive and/or form rapport if you can see each other's faces.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

I really like coding and problem solving in general and basically everything I've done related to this field, but I really despise (and struggle quite deeply with) the astronomically slow pace that work is specced and delegated at. It's been the major issue at my last two jobs.

Maybe you know this, but this is something you could avoid at the right company.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm just gonna point out here that there are people for whom this would be an incredibly stressful situation, e.g. because they're recovering alcoholics, or on psyche drugs that interact badly with alcohol, or just because they find the prospect of being mentally affected to be scary. Just like you want to be aware of bias around gender, race, etc., you should try to be aware of this kind of thing too. Managers discriminating (consciously or unconsciously) against people that don't want to drink is a problem.

Bias shmias. You can mind your own business and recovering drug addicts can work at a different business.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Jaded Burnout posted:

Which ones, exactly? Is there a list?

Evaluate the business when you interview there. Sniff out the office culture. And if they want you to join a drinking contest when you're a recovering alcoholic... don't join it! It's not a problem if your coworkers are decent people.

I'm exactly the sort of person that doesn't want an alcohol-ridden workplace, and avoiding places full of stupid drinking assholes hasn't been an issue for me. But I don't go demanding that everybody change their company to suit my preferences.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Jaded Burnout posted:

Would it help if I mentioned this was a central government department and the people involved were civil servants? And they dealt with a unique thing that only existed in that one organisation in the entire country?

I'm sure it's fine though, it's probably not worth trying to empathise with other people, they can take their second or third choice so I can continue to pretend that everyone's like me.

No. It's not the world's obligation to organize itself to suit your preferences. And using empathy to calculate moral questions is a retarded idea. Use principles. Otherwise you'll just sit around bothering about aesthetics and not being concerned about people who you don't feel empathy towards.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
My advice when offered a drink is to apologize and state that it would hurt your gainz. Then offer them a slurry of protein powder.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I once had somebody point out their high Glassdoor reviews. Then they handed me an employment agreement with a nondisparagement clause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Understandable. You can't make awkward racist comments or sexually harass coworkers if your team isn't sufficiently diverse.