Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bonds0097 posted:

Bank mainframes are still all written in COBOL, maintained by 50+ year old programmers making beaucoup dollars (I have friends who work at banks and they think it's hilarious) so I imagine there's still a demand for her skillset.

Similarly, Nuclear plants are all still running software written in FORTRAN.

Some systems are critical enough that their owners are too scared to update/modify them, hence all the unpatched XP systems running in manufacturing plants and critical infrastructure.

I've frequently heard that COBOL programmers are worth their weight in gold but I've been curious if that holds any water. As a non-programmer that has been toying around with programming as a hobby, I've thought about picking up a COBOL book and seeing what I could learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm looking at pivoting out of a decade of data analytics work and landed an interview for a Database Engineer position next week.

As this is my first foray into the Database Engineer world, I could use a little advice on relevant questions to ask the manager and team in regards to a Database Engineer role.

I'm thinking along the lines of:
  • tech stack I'll be supporting
  • on-call rotation
  • development environments for team
  • upcoming projects

Any advice on "make sure to ask them about X"?