Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Why would what you were doing ten years ago enter into my decision to hire you now? If you've done similar things since, talk about those instead. If not, leave it off unless it's something exceptional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Cryolite posted:

Yes, at least for defense clearances if you quit and then don't work at a job that requires a clearance it expires after 2 years and you have to go through the whole process again to get cleared again. If you get a job within 2 years of leaving it's easier to reactivate the clearance. $130k is nice (CNN's cost of living calculator says that's $200k in SF) but working on boring LOB apps sucks.

CNN's cost of living calculator still says that Manhattan is noticeably more expensive than San Francisco, so you should take it with a grain of salt.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Both cities are expensive for sure, but the COL calculator in question says that a $100k salary in SF is equivalent to $135k in Manhattan. That was probably correct 3-4 years ago, but it's definitely not right now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

aBagorn posted:

Has anyone ever done any of the HackerRank stuff as part of the interview process (on either side of the process)? If so, what are your thoughts.

I met with a company yesterday for a Senior Engineer role and nailed the interview. It was mostly culture fit stuff with some architecture questions thrown in. Ended up meeting the president of the company and she really felt I would do well as well. At the end of the interview, CTO mentioned he would send me a link to a custom set of HackerRank questions, and that it would be a timed evaluation.

I can understand using HackerRank or similar to weed out people before you give face-to-face interviews, but after? That seems really bizarre.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Graph algorithms are used in social network analysis, which is the sort of thing that Facebook/Twitter/Google/etc. care about. There are books on that topic, but I don't know the literature well enough to recommend any.

There are other big data companies who don't really do that kind of thing, but they might ask you some basic algorithms questions as part of the interview process. Not everyone who's thought about the interview process thinks highly of that practice, but most people don't think that much about it, so it's standard.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Philadelphia's a little bit weird in that it's much more common for people to live in the city and commute out to the suburbs than to go the other way.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ithaqua posted:

On the other hand, it's also really uncommon for them to give pay raises commensurate with the jump between ranks compared to what you can get by jumping ship with the new title. I got promoted to "senior" developer at one small company gig and they gave me $5000/year more. A few months later, I left for $20k more.

That's not really unique to small companies, though. In general you're not going to see big raises by just staying at the same place. You have to move companies if you want a large bump.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Another question:

How much do advanced degrees - let's say a Masters in CS - matter in the non-academic job market? Georgia Tech is offering an online masters and I was thinking about going for it at some point, but I don't know if it's worth it beyond personal gratification.

There are a few good general reasons to do a master's in CS:
  1. You're a current undergrad and the job market isn't good. In that case, delaying your graduation by a couple years and picking up an advanced degree can work out very well.
  2. You took some CS classes as an undergrad, but didn't do the major, and you want to have a CS degree.
  3. You want to get access to the career network of a more prestigious school than your undergrad institution.
  4. You want to specialize in something that's not usually taught at the undergrad level, like machine learning or distributed systems, but you don't want to do a PhD.
  5. You can take the financial hit of not working for a couple years and paying tuition, and you like the idea of getting a master's. Alternatively, your company is willing to pay for it.
The further away you get from this list, the less sense it really makes to spend the money.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 16, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you're outside of the US and looking to come in, a master's program can be a pretty effective method. I think roughly 75% of my own master's class fit that profile.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Talk to your dev manager and let them know that it's an issue. It's their responsibility to decide what to do, and they may have information that you don't.

You don't want to confront the guy directly in case it turns out that he's missing work because of chemotherapy or some similar issue. That can get real awkward real fast.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

$130k base could be part of a reasonable offer for a newly minted PhD in stats/CS or similar fields in the Bay Area.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

California has a ridiculously high state income tax, so yeah, plan on negotiating up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

So let me run the numbers

$125k salary
$30k state and federal taxes
$37k housing
$24k fixed costs (utilities, food, gas)
$12k savings

Leaves $22k disposable income

I have no outstanding debt. Which of those ballpark numbers sounds the most insane?

Edit: obviously I'm going to finance the car ($8,000) and boat ($35,000)

$37k for housing is only slightly over $3000 month, which is going to limit your options unless you live in neighborhoods that aren't near things or have a roommate.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I used to live in SF. I moved to NYC to save money.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A comprehensive map of human poop on San Francisco sidewalks

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Closest I've been to NYC in 17 years was Newark airport almost four years ago, I have no desire to go back (that is unless someone offers me a job out there and I can find a place for under $1900!)

What do you guys think about these, general comments, etc.

$2500/850 sq ft - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/5268766803.html
$2795/650 sq ft(?) - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/5258619434.html

Bad neighborhood, overpriced? Too close to freeway (noise) too far from public transit?

Those are respectively right next to the Potrero Hill projects and in the Tenderloin. Neither of those is actually in the worst part of town, but that's only because Hunter's Point is really, really bad. If you can sleep through gunfire and cries for help, you might be able to make those work.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A pretty good rule of thumb is that anything on your resume is fair game for interviewers to ask about, so don't put things on there that you wouldn't want to have talk about on a whiteboard.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

quote:

Rails development team working in a small fish on the couch, smoking pot, drinking coffee, looking out at times.

quote:

Office in the bay area with only sheets for walls and doors.

I dunno, sounds pretty typical to me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I moved out to San Francisco a couple years ago from the east coast and rented an apartment in the north Mission for $3500/month. During the year I lived there, there were at least two fatal shootings within a block of me, more phone robberies than I could keep track of*, and people pissing in the street on my commute to the BART station a block away at least once a week. When I left the region last year, the same apartment was on the market for $5000/month. That's a faster increase than most units, but not by much. Do you think any company out there is going to increase your pay at a rate that can keep up with that kind of increase? Cause if you do, I'd like to talk to you about this bridge in Brooklyn that I can sell real cheap....

*Fun fact: San Francisco has almost exactly the same crime rate as Camden, NJ, which makes it one of the highest crime cities in the US. It feels safer because the crimes are much more likely towards property crimes than violent crimes, but you still need to be careful taking your phone out in public, even in neighborhoods that seem nice.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 5, 2016

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Really wanna know who the person who got over a million dollar salary to work for Google in Pittsburgh is...

Google Pittsburgh is one of their big research labs, I think. Probably some famous machine learning professor.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

My impression is that you can make significantly more than that if you're an expert in machine learning, distributed systems, or something like that. I think that those caps are just for general developers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

martin kleppmann has a really good book underway that covers distsys that is a great intro

How long's it been in early access now, and how many times has the release date been moved back?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

I once interviewed a guy for a systems engineering position whose answer to algorithm questions was "I would use Perl." How would you use Perl? What Perl would you use? "I would use Perl."

One of my former coworkers interviewed a candidate who, when asked about the complexity of a fairly simple algorithm, told him that it was complex because it had a lot of loops.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you need to cut something, that should be the first to go.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

One ten month stint isn't going to look that bad if you stay for a while at the next place.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OCaml's a nice language. If it ever gets a really good standard library, it could become a lot more popular very quickly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Anyone interested in software scheduling should read Coding, Fast and Slow. There's some good stuff in there that's at least compatible with what's generally believed regarding human cognition and learning.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nobody knows how to interview, so everyone just copies Google.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is Shirlington to Tyson's Corner a manageable commute?

It's through one of the most congested areas in the nation. Either you're gonna work really weird hours and still have a lot of traffic to deal with, or you're going to be miserable all the time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

All the numbers that are strictly less than 3 have to come before all the numbers that are greater than or equal to 3.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

good jovi posted:

I had an fun interview where they were asking me questions about skills that the recruiter had added to my resume without my knowledge. Even PDFs aren't safe.

If you're really worried about this, you can digitally sign your resume and add text to that effect somewhere like a footer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If there's version control, a reasonable release process, and a test environment, then it's fine. It becomes worse with each of those things that's missing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I just want to know how to become qualified for these $150k jobs people keep throwing around. I don't wanna stay a Rails monkey forever, and I don't know what to move on to.

Location is a big part of it. Jobs in NYC and SF pay very well because no one could afford to live there otherwise.

The other thing is having experience in something that's not just programming. You can go along the more business skills route and focus on directing junior developers, requirements analysis, communication with nontechnical stakeholders and general project lead skills, or you can focus on something in computer science like machine learning, big fast databases, distributed systems, embedded systems, or others. The best jobs are going to go to people who are good at both of those things, and they may not do that much coding after a while.

Of course your industry matters too. People in finance get paid more than people in nonprofits, even on the IT side of things.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Non-technical: Breaking a project into steps / pieces and figuring out how to prioritize to get from nothing to something functional. Arguably more important than being super good at the technical part.

Yeah. If you want to be a senior or principal developer anywhere good, you need to have these skills.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

When you go to look for your next job, they're going to ask you why you took time off. If you tell them that you wanted to slack, that's not going to look so great. If you tell them that you had a project that you wanted to work on full time, that's better, but you're still going to have to answer questions about why you couldn't do it in your spare time.

Oh, and just in case this isn't obvious, if you're talking about working on a project, you'd better have something to show off.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That's a pretty short list of languages. You'd probably get a better picture if you had JavaScript and PHP in there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

rt4 posted:

• I don't have a degree because I was kicked out of college in the final semester for publishing a paper in a journal that exposed my advisor's incorrect physics research

This one's easy to verify. Ask him for the bibliographic details.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

oliveoil posted:

I would think that if you're skilled enough to get into SpaceX then you're skilled enough to not need any resume help for future employment prospects.

Having worked at SpaceX is proof that you're skilled enough to get in.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

It's probably worth noting that people use Big-O (technically incorrectly) when they really mean big-theta all the time.

f(n) \in \Theta(g(n)) implies f(n) \in O(g(n)), so it's not strictly speaking incorrect. It's just not the strongest claim they could be making.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Amazon has the same model as Goldman Sachs or Cravath: if you can deal with their bullshit long enough, they'll give you a lot of money, and if not, the exit opportunities are great.

The difference is that the other firms pay out cash and not Amazon stock....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You have to adjust for cost of living. Seattle's not cheap, but it's not as wildly expensive as San Francisco, so that's not as big a discrepancy as it looks on a numbers vs. numbers basis.