Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
How are yall attracting these recruiters? Linkedin? Any good guides on how to fill out your profile?

I am 1.5 years into my first tech job doing data science. No ML/AI or anything like that but I am building the tools & frameworks the actual math nerds are using to create analytics (all python). I gravitate towards the software engineering activities and only took this job to get a foot in the door. So long story short I'd like to get a bonafide software engineer job but not sure where to start. I am making a hair over 100k & I guess around 130k T/C when I include insurance & vacation time. I'd like to see if I can do better. I had a ~6 year career in manufacturing & quality assurance at the same company before teaching myself to code and I will never get a large raise staying here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

if you include insurance and vacation time in your TC you're gonna confuse a lot of people. TC = salary + bonus + stockstuff

to answer your question, though, it's mostly just flipping the switch. depending on how big you company is, you might be able to get yourself reclassified as a "SWE in data" or some crap with no material change that'd help your search

failing that, you can list yourslf as a python programmer on linkedin. just don't misrepresent your title on your resume

Cool thanks for the tip about t/c! I thought it included the benes obviously.

Im doing my best to market myself as a swe but have my job title as "Data Scientist (Software Engineer)" on my resume.

I guess I gotta just add more information to my profile that will entice recruiters. I still get people trying to hire me for manufacturing roles which I couldn't be repulsed more by.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is data scientist really a lower-tier title in software development?

I don't think it's lower, but I'm trying to de-emphasize it partly because of what bob dobbs said any partly because I don't want another data science role. I've had a few recruiters reach out looking for people with ML/AI experience and maybe I'll kick myself in the rear end for it but it just doesn't interest me.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ensign Expendable posted:

Has anyone here left a company to go up a level and come back at the new level after some time?

This seems like a fairly common move at the large company I work at. I have heard people say it's a good way to circumvent the stupid YOE based salary level system.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just started talking to recruiters and have a couple interviews this week. I am pretty poo poo at leetcode, I can probably do easy problems but beyond that I am rusty/bad. Should I pause the interviewing and take a month or two to really git gud?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
The big company I work at hands out FMLA like candy. The guys who worked for me would get it for whatever the heck they wanted almost. Doctors just gotta sign the paperwork, and they do because what do they care?

That said, those guys were union & I've never heard of a salaried person taking FMLA. But it seems easy to get on the Doctors end.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

this is how I spend most of my week. I've also heard it described as 'snacking'.

I'm great and identifying and knocking out all the low-effort/high-impact work. When I run out of that stuff, I'm like 'uhh, write a design doc? no thanks. I'll refactor some configuration files to fix TODOs I wrote 2 years ago.' I really need to break this habit.

"Why start some new & big mess when I have all of these loose ends to tie up from the last new & big mess?"

I'm not sure if this is the right way to think or if it's from spending so much time working in an environment that is constant fire fighting.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is that a typo or are you saying you're thinking of spending 75% of your pay on rent? I spend like 12-15% on half a mortgage & would never spend more than 20% if I could help it.

I guess NYC rent is fucky but no way would I spend that much just to put a roof over my head.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't particularly enjoy working for a defense company, even on the commercial side. If I worked for Facebook I'd probably just cash those fat checks, do the best I could inside the beast and not feel too bad about it. It's better than working in defense or health insurance, IMO. You can even argue you can do more good inside the organization than outside, but I ain't rolling in the mud anymore than that.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Agreed with that. There are lots of things I thought I would really want in my 20s that I realize are maybe not what I thought as I edge into mid-30s. I have been realizing that one can like the idea of things more than the execution. For example, I always thought I wanted an old car but after having one, I realized I liked the idea of it more than the reality that comes with owning one. This makes me question bigger goals, like owning an 18th century house.

On the flip side, I thought so was done traveling after doing some in college but I am warming up to the idea again.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

gbut posted:

If that 18th century house doesn't have a current century full blown update, just don't. You wouldn't run your blockchain startup on ENIAC, would you?

I would want electricity, running water, heat etc but have it look period correct. Or a full blown period correct off grid place with another modern house nearby. But I joke with my wife about how nice it'll be not to be distracted by our phones and go to bed with the sun once we remove all the indoor plumbing and electricity.

And yes I would run it on ENIAC if I could build all the parts by hand.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

luchadornado posted:

All of my best and most rewarding interviews were after I "prepped" with one I didn't really care about. Helps get the rust off.

Plus, you never know who you'll meet or what will come of it.

Same. I was much rustier for my first than I expected. I totally overcomplicated a simple coding problem. The ones after were cake.

Taking interviews you're not really excited about also gives you another data point about pay.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/IBV-k9E0eHg

He's done some pretty hosed up stuff like screwing over anyone hes collabed with (Joma Tech & the algoexpert guy) but I find his dry humor funny.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't really decide whether I like his videos or not. I don't like him as a person, and I definitely wouldn't spend time with him or outright give him any money. But sometimes I can't tell where the satire starts and where it ends and I think that is funny. And if it isn't satire? Then call me a rubberneck because sometimes I enjoy slowing down to get a good look at the wreckage.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

wilderthanmild posted:

So now I get to stress about it potentially for weeks.

I just want to be done with this.

What background check company? I felt the same way during my wait but I think we're stressing unnecessarily. The company that wants to hire you isn't going to let you go easily this late in the process & they understand how incompetent the background check place can be.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

HireRight and their bullshit

I had the exact same bullshit from them. They said my last day at company X was 1.5 years after the actual date and then asked for a W2 from 2014.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bet the first HireRight employee never completed elementary school. Now they're so deep in the background check biz they can't actually teach anyone to do it right or else they'll be found out.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nice, are you taking any time off between? I underestimated how nice a good chunk of time off would be when I switched recently and wish I'd taken more. I only took a week and wish I had taken a month. Not caring about the old job & not knowing enough to sweat the new job made time off extra relaxing.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Congrats! It sounds like the Nvidia interview process is sane and I hope other high level companies follow suit. The LC monkey dance is depressing. The skills you build learning it are completely useless but even worse is it steals time you could use to actually learn cool, relevant stuff.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
How many of you have worked at a company where it actually makes sense to try and get promoted vs leaving? I've only worked for a couple companies. The first for ~7 years and it was definitely not worth trying to get a raise. The second, who knows yet. But it seems like in today's market it makes no sense jumping through hoops for a year for a promotion vs just interviewing elsewhere.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

bi crimes posted:

I feel burned out and annoyed that I put this much effort

This is how it was at my last company. But I'm glad to hear from other posters that this is not always the case.

And drat I just recently took a job that I'm enjoying for not quite fang figgies, but all of these salaries make me wonder if I should just go back to leetcoding.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
For real. I've recently come to appreciate the engineering culture of the prior company I worked at. They're a huge defense contractor with tons of bad baggage but I can say the (mostly) structured approach to process and problem solving is a lot easier to work under versus the clusterfuck that is software.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

When I started my current place I kept finding absolutely trash code, a LOT when I was dealing with old bugs that had been stuck in backlog and were regressions. All under the same name of a dev who wasn't around any more.
Eventually someone brought him up and he was regarded as this savant who would close off tickets at lightning pace, 10x or superstar wasn't used but it as implied, management loved him apparently.

“Almost every software development organization has at least one developer who takes tactical programming to the extreme: a tactical tornado. The tactical tornado is a prolific programmer who pumps out code far faster than others but works in a totally tactical fashion. When it comes to implementing a quick feature, nobody gets it done faster than the tactical tornado. In some organizations, management treats tactical tornadoes as heroes. However, tactical tornadoes leave behind a wake of destruction. They are rarely considered heroes by the engineers who must work with their code in the future. Typically, other engineers must clean up the messes left behind by the tactical tornado, which makes it appear that those engineers (who are the real heroes) are making slower progress than the tactical tornado.” ― John Ousterhout, A Philosophy of Software Design

The rest of the book is pretty sweet too, but your description made me think of this passage instantly.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like infrastructure and ops teams because when things go down I can wash my hands of it and play video games while other people fix things.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat what a hero. Was he laid off? If that happens to me that's exactly what I'm doing.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think if the RTO push really continues in earnest we'll see some super efficient totally distributed small companies eat the lunch of bigger places. Maybe we'll see a world split between distributed only & onsite companies. I've met too many good devs who are committed to wfh only to believe they'd all pack it up and head back to an office (gently caress that). I'm kinda excited for whatever new operating & management styles come out of this.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

For all the problems that Personalities cause in big tech shops, I'm growing convinced that the ones caused by Non-Personalities in midsize shops are frequently worse

You mean like people who just don't care or people who just poo poo out tickets?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sign posted:

you try 10000 things with the expectation that 9999 of them will fail.

Stop talking about my dating life

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
The absolute only thing I miss about being co-located with people is the ability to walk up to someones desk on another team and ask for help. It's awfully hard to say no to someone who is standing right in front of you. It seems like most people will do whatever they can to foist you off and forget about you. Or maybe that's just the way it is when the only work anyone cares about is a ticket.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
1000% job B. Nothing about job B seems bad. Do you really know the people running job B are terrible or is that just a guess or something you've heard through the grapevine? It sounds like maybe you're worried about something that might not even happen. A lot can happen in 3 years at Job A as well. You could get a poo poo boss, restructured, full RTO etc. Maybe you take job B, feel like you're going to wash out at year 2 and get the opportunity to jump to something better.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I normally go with this line
https://youtu.be/QriZJ-X3wbU?si=F2hV8wIplyJftxJ1

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sounds like vacation time. How long have you been at current big public corp? Can you take a vacation, get the ball rolling on the startup job and take a month (or however long you'd like) off between gigs?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
The public Blind boards are definitely garbage full of terrible people.

My company's board is pretty small and I find the info to be /ok/. I think it's worth looking at once in a while if you've never checked it out, but not something I'd spend time on.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I was a hiring manager and I saw that your first job touching computers was writing some weird rear end old language and you didn't completely put the place out of business or get fired, I'd be pretty intrigued. Plus the hardest part about breaking into 'tutors is getting that first job.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've worked at 2 chill software jobs. The first was at a Raytheon subdivision that paid rear end and the second was at a bank that paid eh. The second team got dismantled because they were building a feature that nobody actually wants and the first I left because I was bored and wanted more money. I think the key to finding these jobs is to look at big companies within slow moving industries and to research the work/life balance at these places. If you want faang pay I think it really comes down to choosing not Amazon and getting lucky with your team.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I keep about a year's worth of cash in our emergency fund. It's probably overkill considering my wife works for herself and something really catastrophic would have to happen for both of us to lose our incomes entirely. Also we keep our expenses low relative to what we make so finding a job which covers the bills wouldn't take longer than 2-3 months, even in this market I suspect. I keep a fat emergency fund because I like to have "gently caress off" money, where if something happened at my job and I decided to abruptly quit I wouldn't feel impending doom or pressure.

I used to keep 6 months expenses but after setting aside extra when we were having a baby and renovating the house, I decided to hold on to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do you always-be-interviewing folks just leave your open to work banner up on LinkedIn? How are you getting interviews? Id like to join your ranks. I don't have any glaring issues with where I work but it's a 2nd tier t/c for sure.