Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My fist job interview, as a freshly-minted imigrant, was done by two not-so-expert guys, and the guy running the interview was especially junior. I already had some years (almost a decade) of experience, my own business in the ole country, etc. At the end, the owner walks in tries to low-ball me. I took the next company's offer for about 3x as much that same week. I was ready to accept anything, but. Come. On.

I guess he saw an opportunity to scam a boater, and took it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Inacio posted:

...I have no evidence that you'll be productive other than your word and the interviewer's word, you don't have a degree and you don't have the years.

This is biggest bullshit excuse ever. I doubt he was offering you a contract with a golden parachute. I presume it was a regular old at-will crap everybody gets here. Like, it's not hard to let people go if they don't work out, and the risk is minimized by the 2 people (who work for this dumbass) waving giant green flags.

One of our best hires ever was a guy who has a humanities degree and decided he liked tech more, was obviously driven and smart albeit a bit self-doubty (aren't we all?), and his previous workplace was becoming unchallenging for him even though he was still pretty junior. He's already been promoted to mid-level, and will get bumped to a senior this year, two years in. I had to fight a bit to get him in as others weren't seeing the potential, but I've learned to trust my gut over time.

I still look for enthusiasm and personality above all. Overly self-confident people with narrow interests are a big red flag. You have an odd hobby that's not code or industry related? A plus. You can pick up skills on the way for 99% of the tech work out there. Our most senior engs are all autodidacts with unrelated or no degrees and very interesting life paths.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Oh, but it always is...

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Also, no functional languages listed. Welcome to the future, folks.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Yes, but also functional first languages. (I missed scala at first). Not seeing lisp up there is kinda disappointing. I don't expect Idris or elm to be there, but clojure? It's not a small language.

I was obviously being facetious in my original comment. But I guess that their list represents the reality of web being run on WordPress.

(Also, apologies for sounding like a dick. I guess my sa humor doesn't fly in these tech subforums, so I keep rubbing people the wrong way. Noted, will try to sound less like a dick)

gbut fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 28, 2020

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

vonnegutt posted:

Personally I struggle with talking way too much when pairing, and I have to hold myself back and remember to just be quiet and answer questions.

Yup, this is my biggest issue when pairing with someone far less experienced. I end up driving from the side-chair. A big no-no.

I think it mostly comes from me internalizing the business pressure that wants everything now, but also wants the knowledge transfer trough pairing. These two things are a bit opposite, at least at the beginning of the process. I do need to chill the f out and be the support my mentee needs and let the business sort out their priorities themselves.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Yeah. Not even the tech giants can solve for human networking that was the best way ever since the prostitution jobs were invented.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Yup. Gotta keep track of those butts in seats, amirite?

Totes not looking forward to my parental leave ending soon. :ohdear:

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My first job here in Michigan was a 40 mile commute. It was almost all I-96 so not too bad at first. The very first winter I slid on ice and damaged my car by hitting a curb. I got a loaner Fiat 500 from the shop. The next day my trip home lasted 5 hrs, due to a snowstorm and that Italian tiny-wheeled go-cart piece of dreck. I switched jobs the following spring.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

As much as I would like to disagree (as I'm planning to pursue a combined BS/MS in the future, I'm self-taught, and currently working on my BS, and I'm a "senior eng" in my 40s), my experiences were the same. Almost every single candidate with a MS (and one with a PhD) we're really bad. I ascribe it to our company being pretty uninteresting for interesting people to apply or stay as we don't do anything cool. We're a top 3000 Alexa shop running on JS/node/React and some PHP/C# "legacy", just like every other place out there.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

kayakyakr posted:

I say this as a Eng Manager for a team who just decided (after almost a month of deliberation) to switch from React to Vue for new dev work >_<

Lol. We just did the exact opposite. Even though our main product is built on laravel, which defaults to vue of the box.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i once saw it work but that was after a near total firing of the technical management and replacement by competent peeps the ceo knew

programs reflect social organization

My company pulled it off once, kinda. It required a complete C-level turnover, a competent CTO, and about 3 years. There's still some lingering load bearing legacy stuff though.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

You end up with 1 dev total in the end, and you spend 1 onshore dev expense and 3-4 offshore dev expenses, which adds up to ~2 onshore dev salaries.

Doesn't feel like efficient use of the budget, if I understood your math correctly.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Ideally, you can split those between two parallel jobs.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I'm being milked for my productivity daily. Sheep.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I've been able to resist making that move for a few years mostly because all the managers here _really_ wanted to be managers. The other option is moving up to a "principal engineer", but that process seems to be broken right now and not many get to that level. Probably because they want more drat managers.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Change jobs. A silver lining of the very, very lovely H1B EO is going to be that the dev jobs will still be plentiful.

E: meant to say that burnout usually comes from bad jobs, but I feel you.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

That's good to know. I did the opposite the last time and got extra PTO, then my company switched to "unlimited". Now it's limited again, by "untracked", which just means they just don't payout if you don't use it or if you leave with a PTO balance.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I'm really curious how the current situation with covid and "white collar" remote workers impacts the perception and the demand for making this a permanent thing. I sure don't feel like going back to the office any time soon, and I might jump ship for a remote only option once things start settling down (in a couple of years, how things are going). I have a feeling there will be a glut of people who also got a taste and want the same, and I'm sure a lot of companies will realize that it'll get them better choice of talent, but it won't be all of the companies. My satellite office signed a lease for a new, larger space just before all this hit, so I expect the leadership to try to drop the remote option when convenient just to justify the expense.

Man, I'll be ready to even take a significant pay cut if the work is something I believe in, like social justice. I'm tired of not caring about the bike-shedded products I build. I'm getting too old to spend the rest of my life as a wage slave considering that I'm one of the lucky ones with options in this distopian capitalist end-game.

</rant>

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I've definitely noticed less communication outside my own team and project. I miss that social aspect of it, but it's not like I can't reach out to others via slack if I need them. I'm definitely more focused on work than on discussing if pizza is a sandwich, and one would think that c-levels would be pleased with that. But no -- gotta "culture".

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

True benefit of working from home: I actually get to have a loving office (and it's huge because I live in Midwest.)

I despise the noisy cattle bays of the open plan.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

FMguru posted:

Old saying: show me an executive who proudly has their desk out on the open plan, and I will show you an unbookable conference room within 25 steps of that desk.

Oh, you met my VP of tech, I see.

(or as we like to call him, "the LVP")

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

To continue the theme, are there any devs from EU in this thread?

The wifey and I are considering moving there at some point, and I'm a citizen so no visa needs (she could apply for residency through me). We were considering London for a bit (my company has an office there and it would be easy to jump) but then Break-shite happened. And then Corona. So, no thanks. Another option we looked vaguely into were Berlin (I know, I know,..., but I still like the idea), coastal Portugal like Porto or Lisbon (probably a big cultural and language barrier to start our lives over, but friends who visited/lived there love it), and Dublin-ish (closest to where we wanna go culturaly, language, wife spent a lot of time there) but were a bit discouraged by real estate prices there.

Of course, all of these considerations are post-vaccine. Not moving anywhere until I can peek at least 5 years into the future.

All and any info on any of those would be great, if you have it. I'm genuinely curious about my (currently) pies in the sky.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I've heard in the past about the German references system, so how much is that still a thing, and does it apply in Berlin, at least re: IT jobs and foreigners?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Makeout Patrol posted:

I don't immediately know what you're referring to. I got the job I took through a personal reference but I was also offered another job with no prior connection.

I was referring to Arbeitszeugnis (https://englishjobs.de/info/the-german-reference-letter-system/), but you answered it for me in a way.

I doubt it's still much enforced by startups and the like, especially if they are hiring from other EU countries or from further abroad. I'm just curious if it would make it difficult to apply to larger companies while living in Germany.
It took me a while to get used to the American model of employment after moving here, like negotiations, the at-will, and the way salaried overtime is sometimes exploited, so I'm trying to figure out what I need to learn about the German system. All my friends living in Berlin are in the non-profit sector and/or artists (of course.)

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

This. Would easily live on half if I had healthcare that wasn't tied to my "at-will" employment. I might even try to do my own thing. Having a family in the US is kinda terrifying, tbh.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

They don't bother even learning all the British languages.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Progressive JPEG posted:

This isn't accounting for healthcare and no-fault accident/disability insurance being included

FML, I have to pay for the highest insurance rate in the country because I have to pay for no fault myself over here. And you *have* to have a car in the US (another surprise as I kinda knew, but I had no idea of the magnitude) except maybe in some 10 sqare miles of east coast and SF. No wonder 60% of the cars in Detroit are uninsured.

E: obviously a euro-baby over here, but seriously, this rugged individualism is not working out for me. I grew up in communism, and this is... different.

gbut fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 26, 2020

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Who gets the income tax?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I'm a bit long in the tooth to go down the Resume route. I restarted my career in my early 30s by moving to US. Nothing I've done before mattered any more. I've also learned that even at FAANGs you usually end up doing tedious work unless you came in as an expert or have a really good support in your management stack. Or so I've been told by people with that kind of experience. I also feel like I don't want to work for anyone who looks for those markers in my resume. I'm past the point of wanting to work for money alone, gamble on startups that will try to overwork me, and what matters to me now is the quality of my everyday life. I guess it's time to start my own thing on Haskell stack, or whatever I'm supposed to do now. Or maybe videogames. I hear those are popular.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I was trying to paint the picture of a man lost in his pursuit of happiness, destined to toil in a c-list company until he's found to be too expensive, while also too acerbic, to tolerate. A man so out of touch that he would squander his gains of previous decades on an entrepreneurial equivalent of a red Corvette.

That man is me, and for the love of all that is sane, I'm waitingquitting my job the moment I get the vaccine.

e: ghod, so many typos. and that "waiting" auto-correct for "quitting" was some Freudian boolshit by my phone.

gbut fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 2, 2020

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Plorkyeran posted:

A sabbatical is definitely the best way to think about working on an indie game full time. If you're lucky you might get some money at the end of it, but you shouldn't plan on it.

Just learned that sabbatical is a thing with British companies. I've only ever known about it in the context of academia.

E: paid, I mean

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Agreed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Are you calling me a "three teams guy"?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

frogbs posted:

Sorry for the rant, but, any advice from anyone who’s been in a similar position?

A friend/colleague of mine came to interview with pretty much the same experience. I was one of the interviewers and I like the guy's smarts from the get go. He obviously had the thirst for tech even though his degree was unrelated, and he asked questions that showed that he wanted to grow. We hired him at a junior level, and less then three years later he's a senior. Absolutely crushed it.

I'm not saying here that this is going to be your story. I suggest that you don't despair, and interview wherever you might be interested. There's a degree of luck involved, of course, but if you can show that are eager to grow, that in itself can be a really good signal, no matter your previous experience.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Same at my place. But for some reason it's everywhere from super easy to impossible to reach that level, totally dependant on the location of the office you're working in.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Some would think that all that title crap is completely arbitrary and pandering to computer touchers' egos in lieu of paybumps. They would not be wrong.

I myself am an Eminent Computer Fiddler, at least privately.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My company has very wide overlapping bands, so we have some juniors earning as much as seniors. Totally dependant on the luck/when you got hired. Oh, and we don't do cost of living increases. You gotta "earn" the (usually minuscule) bump. And gently caress you if you're stagnating/dealing with poo poo in your life during pandemic. We'll fire you because we only want winners.

There's so many people with their resume files visible on the desktop when they zoom share, that it's not even a thing any more. Anybody hiring?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Seriously, not trying to be a jerk, but does anyone write sql statements by hands these days? I feel pretty confident having spent my career working with relational dbs, manual queries way back 100% of the time, and I still went "oof" when I opened the fiddle. I'd have to Google to remember some deets that are not party of my daily use, though I probably can cobble up a solid pseudo-schema for a specific business use need in a heartbeat.

This would be a point where, if I was interviewing and got presented this, I would probably think your company cares more about syntax/gotchas than concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on SQL. I actually love it, and love being able to elegantly pull things off that would be impossible or very hard using some dumbed-down abstraction. The expediency of delivering "features" has removed me from the guts of it for years now. I know a bunch of senior devs who are "full stack" who's operating knowledge of SQL stops at basic crud, and I understood the question targeting that bunch.