Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

rt4 posted:

If the boss really wants Node, do it in Bucklescript/Reason for spite

this but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Sure, but I'm not talking about this from a soft-skills approach. I'm talking about this from a "how can I make myself more likely to do well in the highest percentage of interviews and find a relatively stimulating job" wise. I'm great at bullshitting, I went to business school! :razz:

That’s your problem though. Practice telling yourself the bullshit until you believe it because it sounds like your impostor syndrome is sabotaging you right now and preventing you from framing your lovely experiences as educational, or at least reasonable setbacks that you can politely convey.

The feeling of insecurity that suffering from a bad job breeds can sometimes reflect in how you talk about it, and thinking positively about it can make it easier for you to project confidence in an interview.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Oh god, yeah quick diagramming is one thing that pen and paper can't be beat for.

unless you buy an iPad Pro and know how to use it well

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Technically speaking I'm still not a Senior Software Engineer in title, and I'm making Facebook median pay, but...

...well, look up how much Facebook median pay is.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Powershell is pretty good IMO, and their APIs, while ancient and lovely, often aren’t the absolute worst to work with because their shittiness is at least documented, either officially or littered throughout the internet. And they’re a bit more cohesive than just throwing about text pipes everywhere.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

redleader posted:

Counterpoint: PowerShell powers hell. It's a garbage language with a good idea (passing objects instead of text along a pipeline), a virtue (it's not cmd.exe) and a very good suite of tools for interacting with and managing Windows.

The language is fine being shittier if the side effect is API parity between ps1, C#, C++/CX, and C++ via cppwinrt.

I did actually port a Powershell script to C++/WinRT so I could build it with any compliant C++ compiler (with cppwinrt taking care of generating the COM bindings), so the fact that Powershell scripting is a thing makes the overall path forward from “gently caress, I need to use a native API for this” feel generally better to me than it has on Linux, even though Windows APIs and Powershell are worse than their POSIX counterparts.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Paolomania posted:

LOL. Language wars and OS wars in the oldie thread. We are better than this.
Who called the fun police? Arguing about the merits of things is fun, can be useful, and is a time honored tradition of nerds.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

disengage... disengage...

JawnV6 was clearly taking a shot at me which, if you keep up with this thread, you'd know he loves to do.
drinking game: take a shot when JawnV6 does
result: alcohol poisoning

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Well right now C# has a near monopoly on VR since everybody is using Unity for VR. Caveat: mono’s CLR. Unity is like the node.js of VR.

Yeah Unreal is a thing and it’s generally a better engine but Unity’s inertia and prefabs are huge drivers of its usage.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Paolomania posted:

It gets old after a few decades, don't you think?
Only for people who don’t find new technology fun.

Technology changes too fast for he answers to stay the same but repeats too often for old wisdom to consistently lack relevance.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My programs are just lists of GitHub URLs, corresponding to files/revisions of open-source projects
stop using node.js

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Yes because nobody can agree on what senior means anyways

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Huh. I encountered tries in high school, college, open-source, interviews, and at work. I'm finding it hard to digest that they'd be considered esoteric. If I were interviewing, I'd consider not knowing that tries exist a major negative signal, though I'd understand people not recalling them exactly since it wouldn't be terribly rare to not encounter them at work/open-source/interviews. Just learn tries. If you have a mostly-static set of data you want to search through, you can frontload the computation and make searching pretty fast, or even ship the trie from a server to a phone as a sort of search index (depending on the size of the dataset of course).

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I mean my college CS isn't representative, but high school level CS is seriously not a high bar to clear. "I've heard of tries" is seriously not a lot to ask.

I should probably qualify this - I get that there are people whose curriculums missed tries, and it's not disqualifying for consideration, and if I'm filtering on people with a particular set of skills it wouldn't factor in nearly as much as domain expertise/experience.

However, if I'm looking for generalists for a small team, and they don't know that tries exist - in the absence of better signal that I don't have to worry - I'm likely to spend more time than I'd prefer thinking about their code. If the team is big enough that someone can cover for that, fine.

EDIT: okay so are they actually rare and I've just encountered them in every job I've had by coincidence?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Add a bit more to Trie chat. 21 years of development experience, only time using or being asked about a trie was a bespoke interview questions designed to know if you knew about them. (Boggle solver.) and that was just last year. 666, how would it change your world view if I said the same thing you did about a trie word per word but said quaternion instead?

To be honest, I learned about quaternions in middle school, but yeah that's absolutely not normal. I specifically read a book on games programming, and I also don't remember anything about them anymore.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

You're supposed to pick it up on your own because you're so dedicated to programming that you study everything no matter how unrelated to your current job it is.

Strong Positive Signal™️

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

The only JVM language I'd put money on being relevant in 10 years is Java

But it's Java, so they'll probably support Scala for years after it hits a life-support phase, giving companies the chance to delay completely loving themselves over for several years before they realize they should have been migrating away.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

fourwood posted:

If I'm already going to be moving to a new city and state soon for not-job reasons and wanted to send some advance job applications out, is it reasonable to put a blurb in a cover letter that I'm already moving out there? Are local candidates viewed more-favorably even if relo is authorized for the position? At this point I really don't have, like, a local address to be slapping on my resume yet or anything.

Do you want to work for an employer that considers putting this on your application unreasonable?

Just put something along the lines of "$LocationA, planned relocation to $LocationB [OPTIONAL: in $Month/$Year]" on your resume.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

fourwood posted:

Thanks. I wouldn't expect anyone to find it unreasonable, but I wasn't really sure how much being local gives you an edge over out-of-state candidates, or even if "hey I know I don't live there now but I will soon I swear!" maybe just comes off as a little weird (obviously phrased in a much more professional manner, but still).

To put it in perspective, as of a couple years ago, hiring one reasonably good dev can sometimes cost upwards of $30k (depending on the company and the standard for “reasonably good”). If they need you by some date and you promise to be around by then to take the job, where you are now doesn’t matter.

Any relo benefit or whatever is there because they want to hire someone who qualifies, regardless of current location. It’s already expensive enough to find and interview you, making you more likely to accept is not a wasted cost.

Don’t worry about it too much unless the timing is tight and you immediately need to start.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

User posted:

An opinionated guide to evaluating candidates with no industry experience based on academic credentials:

An undergrad degree in CS is observably worthless, so you should just treat them like a smart person that went to a boot camp or self taught or something. Run them through your process and be fair.

A masters is actually negative signal. It's usually just some con artist who thinks that wasting another year and a half in school is going to bring the big bucks. And it's kind of true, but if you want someone who actually gets things done then hard pass.

PhDs are another matter. If they're from a good program then effectively they actually do have industry experience, it's just been at slave labor rates while their advisor steals all the credit. If you think they are going to be a good fit, then joking about this will virtually guarantee they accept your offer.

in my experience:

Masters are not a hard pass. Circumstances can mean someone didn't get a PhD due to things that were out of their hands, even if they deserved it.
PhDs don't always guarantee they know a drat thing about working effectively or are familiar with best practices.

User posted:

Run them through your process and be fair.
Excessively generic but yes, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Not sure exactly where to ask so maybe people who've been around for a while might know. I'm interested in writing a technical book on something, but I'm not sure what tools to start out with to do it. I'm not keen on using LaTeX unless I really have to.

Obviously there's all that writing an outline and non-technical stuff to do to actually write it but I'm not struggling with that (yet?).