Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Interesting, but that makes it sound like turnover for senior levels/managers could be pretty high, and it's a high risk position. Can someone who reports early and often eventually be seen as too dependent on others, or be ignored on account of being too noisy? Crying wolf and being wrong seems like it could be as damaging to credibility as trying and failing to meet goals (with or without fault). What skills are involved in not loving up at that level?

Are there any good books to study the people parts of working in industry?

Ideally it should be if they're screwing up. They get paid more money because it should be a riskier job. Remember, most of the failures in software development are failures of management, if you have a reasonably competent group of people, you manage them reasonably and you set reasonable expectations then you'll do fine. Every once in awhile the programmers or testers or whoever are legitimately at fault but most of the times I've seen projects fail it's been because management treated estimation as a Christmas list of things they'd like to have instead of a realistic assessment of what can be done or they failed to assign the right resources to the project at the right time.

As to what skills are required, it's mostly basic management stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

bonds0097 posted:

Why not? I actually have peer-reviewed data supporting my argument. You have anecdotal evidence. Seems that at the very least it's worth considering what I'm saying.

I've seen some other studies about this that seemed reasonable. The basic idea is that companies that put the profit motive first tend to achieve local maxima, but companies that put things like product quality (Apple) or employee well-being (Google) first tend to move past states that are locally inefficient but lead to greater heights.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

If you're working remotely the company should be willing to pay for your work setup, up to things like an Aeron chair and a nice desk. It just isn't a huge cost for the company and they'd be paying that anyway for an on-site employee.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Skandranon posted:

Computers don't really break down that way.

Depends on the usage. If it's a laptop he's taking with him places because he needs to do work (ie. he brings the laptop on vacation so he doesn't have to take time off) then you're going to put more wear and tear on it than a computer you leave at home all day.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'd rather be asked harder questions that are more about coming up with solutions and explaining them than the same poo poo over and over but I guess that doesn't happen.

Generally if you don't explain the solution that's a red flag. If you ask something too out there then you risk the candidate not having an epiphany. A good interview question is one that most decent programmers can answer in under 45 minutes if you give them a few hints. Then, once they've given the solution you ask about why they did a few different things and you ask how they'd change their solution if something changes (and usually a few other types of questions). The extra questions help you figure out if the person just memorized it or if they actually understand the problem.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Got rejected from Amazon. I really have no idea what level of completeness and correctness these companies expect but these questions are certainly not just to "see how you think and solve a problem" in my experience because I've been rejected multiple times now from places where I was told I came up with an acceptable solution. And I've frequently verified my solutions afterwards and sure, maybe I don't write the most neatly organized perfect code in a loving interview on a text editor, but it seems ludicrous at this point to be told "yeah that's the solution we were looking for" on multiple occasions only to be rejected.

gently caress it, gonna start screenshotting my code and posting it here to get some actual feedback afterwards.

Amazon interview feedback is done with respect to how the candidate fit one or two leadership principles. This includes the tech interviews. You might have failed to demonstrate "Have Backbone; Disagree and Commit" in your fizzbuzz solution.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Volguus posted:

What does that mean with respect to the interview itself? The interviewer tells you to do something stupid and they expect you to catch that and disagree and argue? Or ... what?

Most of the time the interviewer doesn't drink the cool-aid too hard, but that's how they have to give their feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Alamoduh posted:

I have a question that I need an honest answer for (like blinkzor’s reply to Pollyanna 40 pages ago).

I’m a lawyer in my early 40’s. I want to change careers and be a software engineer. Is this a good idea?

In the newbie thread, I got some excellent advice from a former attorney who had successfully made a career switch, and following that, I think I’m ready to do this!

Asking because I’m about to start a bootcamp to attempt to get an entry-level job for less money than I’m making now in an industry that appears to be hugely youth-skewed.

On the flip side, CS is interesting to me in a way that law isn’t (any more), and every time I say to myself “I should have done this 20 years ago,” I respond to myself: “yes but you are doing it now.”

Reading hundreds of quora posts and blogs on this question leave me with this overarching answer: “Hey, go for it! You’re never too old to stop learning and life’s not over until you’re dead. Also, you probably won’t get hired as a developer.”

I guess I’m basically asking for anecdotes about how this could play out from the perspective of those who are in a position to be interviewing and hiring.

I talked to a guy at one of the FANG companies recently. He's around 40, five years ago he was stocking shelves at Fred Meyers and today he's a senior dev pulling in a quarter of a million dollars annually. The industry is youth skewed but that's more because of who's going in to it rather than what the companies will hire.