Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Nobody knows how to interview, so everyone just copies Google.

And is terrible since they're (by definition) not Google. 5 hour interviews kills the entire drat day. I am fine to do that for Google (done it once, unsuccessful) but gently caress you lovely company if you think you can get me get half (or more) a day off just for your lovely interview. I had quite a few companies that I just had to tell to just stagger their interviews. 1 hour here, 2 hours there, whatever. Taking 4-5 hours just for them is just not worth it. If you do this at your workplace, tell them to stop or become Google. Their offices look amazing, food is great, people seem awesome. The re-purposed and unfinished factory floor that you're occupying right now is not cool anyway you look at it.

rt4 posted:

Thinking again, I did once have an interview at a startup where I was asked some ridiculous brain teaser and some low-level C compiler bullshit. I got the job, but was fired 3 days later when I refused to take "stock" instead of the actual terrible salary I was promised. No way I'd ever waste time at a place like that again.

Good call, one should never settle for that crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

leper khan posted:

Google is also the only company that offered to run through their feedback and tell me where I punted the interview.

Hmm, I was told that, since the hiring decision is done by a committee , they don't release the details of their decision, the why's. Could it differ for some people? Maybe different countries (they have offices everywhere) have different rules?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I haven't but I've heard that they tend to overwork their people, because, you know, space.

Then again, having SpaceX on your resume may help for future employment prospects (which is why probably they overwork and underpay their people and get away with it).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

rt4 posted:

Is it just the people I've worked with over the years, or do most people have no clue about database design and normalization? It's so easy, but nearly every database I've worked on is just plain wrong.

I have met some :
- "Hey, there are no primary keys here. There are no foreign keys either."
- "Don't worry, we check in software."
- "Yeah but we are using a RDBMS, that's the entire point of it existing, to check that poo poo for us."
- "We check in software"

In my case those were TATA consultants. Luckily, it was the exception and not the rule. But they do exist. Normalization or de-normalization ... you may as well talk chinese to them.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

rt4 posted:

Is it going to hurt my career to quit a job after 4 months? On a whim, I've arranged a phone interview with another company for a full-time remote position. I'd love to stop driving 30 minutes to this hick town every day and get out of the open floor plan that I share with a loving call center.

It depends. There are those hiring managers who will frown upon you leaving a job after X months. There are those managers who will frown upon you leaving 5 jobs after X months. Then there are smart managers who don't give a poo poo, who know that in order to keep someone employed means that you need to keep them happy. What "happy" means is different for each person, and certainly you cannot keep everyone happy. Is a lot of work but some companies managed to do it. Of course, those companies do seem to be highly successful and places where engineers do want to work for :iiam: . Loyalty and "it's just business" goes both ways.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

bartkusa posted:

Counterpoint: Redfin uses server-side JS in prod. https://react-server.io/

It helps with SEO, simplifies front-end coding, and gives us a janky version of server-push over HTTP 1.1.

Just because people are using it as a server-side language, doesn't mean that they should. I could write the server-side application in ASM, but I highly doubt anyone would agree that it would be a good idea.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

b0lt posted:

#cobol on internal IRC

Hah, about IRC: the new company I joined is using slack for team members to communicate. We also have skype for business. Everyone uses whatever they want. Anyway, i thought about slack: how is it better than IRC? What can it do that IRC can't? I can use it just fine, but the client is quite annoying. I'd love to be able to pick whatever client I want (out of thousands).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

leper khan posted:

It's not better than irc. The value add is your IT people don't need to rear end with it.

The IT department having one less thing to worry about I can buy (and while I don't know how much slack costs, its probably cheaper than maintaining an IRC server). About the rest of the company adopting the tool, couldn't care less about. If I need to speak with the administrative assistant, I can just send her an email.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Yea, I guess my biggest beef is that I cannot be the special snowflake that can use my lovely terminal IRC client that I love so much. These JS based clients (web or desktop) are ... ughh. The web based clients that "just work" are definitely extremely valuable in the case of a disaster like Sandy.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

I have a salary negotiation question/opinion for you guys.

So, new position, know a guy there, everything looks great with only one downside: a 35-45 minute car commute (one way). Now, during my negotiation, I asked for a number on the higher end of the salary scale, as best I can determine from websites, other job postings, etc. I did this for 2 reasons, one, the longer commute (car costs/tolls), and my experience/domain knowledge lines up really well with the company/industry. Their offer is going to be about 7% less than what I asked for, which puts it more in line with what I consider average pay (i.e. something I could probably get at a closer company that I'm not bringing as much value to domain-wise.)

My knee-jerk reaction is to reject it. If they are quibbling over $10K, when they will pay 2x-3x that by involving a recruiter, it feels like a red flag. On the other hand, it seems like a good job, and it's mine to accept. Otherwise, I have to spend the next few months interviewing.

Am I being a big baby?

$10k is (in my very very very personal opinion) not even close to match a 45min commute. You'll be out of your house driving for almost 2 hours per day. Depending where you are and how is that commute, for me it would be an instant no. I wouldn't even apply there. I've done 45m-1hr commutes in the past, on the canadian 401 to Toronto, one of the busiest highways in the world and it suck balls. The government's budget is not enough to keep me doing that for 1 year straight.

But, that's me (and I quit after 6 months, because gently caress that poo poo and other reasons). There are people who are happy with that for years. The wear and tear on the car alone is substantial. On you, the wear and tear can be quite life threatening.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Skandranon posted:

It's also a non trivial amount of money. Suppose you make $25/hr, your daily commute ($25 * 2 hours * 250 days) = $12500/yr. Your 10k doesn't even covers that, just get a part time job close to home if you want the money.

Exactly. Being a highly-paid software engineer the amount of $/hr was quite a bit higher. I got a job in my home-town for 20% increase, and told RIM to take a hike. Too bad that I really loved working on the QNX BB10 system. It is (was?) a wonderful OS. But gently caress that commute.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm just going to assume that until I'm in the office on my first day that something is going to fall through

Well, I've heard that Google is an "at will" employment company. Which essentially means (for those, like me, who have no idea what that is) that they can fire you any time for any reason and for no reason (boss doesn't like people with blue eyes anymore). Which is awesome for employers, sucks for employees. So be prepared for anything, anytime.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

leper khan posted:

Almost all US companies are at will, and they still have restrictions on what they can fire over. Eye color is strongly correlated to race, for instance, so if they fire you over that you can get a bunch of money from them in a settlement after you sue them for discrimination.

It's such a minefield that large corps have people who only check that stuff just to make sure they don't screw anything up.

America is weird.

Right, if they're dumb enough to admit to the racist reason then sure, sue the hell out of them. But, as you said, they have an army of people ensuring that this doesn't happen. And since they don't need to give a reason, why would they bother?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

At will works both ways. If you don't have that, then you can't just go looking for a new job whenever you want to leave your current position.

Sure you can. You just need to give notice (whatever it may be in your country, 2 weeks is what I've heard is common). And you can't come and say that a job that cannot wait 2 weeks for you is serious.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

What the poo poo are you talking about? Most of the US is "at will" employment, and shockingly people do not often get randomly fired out of the blue for no reason. Has that ever happened? Yeah, probably. Is that a 'thing' you should "be prepared for"? Maybe if you have a track record of punching your bosses or something.

Well, it was shocking for me to find out that this is a thing, when i heard about it for the first time. But yes, you are right, probably people don't get fired for no reason. Usually. Most of the time. Except when they do. But I've learned to stop being surprised when you guys defend policies/laws that are against your own interests.

leper khan posted:

America is weird.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

rsjr posted:

Thanks for worrying so much about them Americans (mostly), but when the people experiencing it are telling you it isn't a problem, maybe just take their word for it instead of assuming you know better.

Well they are saying that it isn't a problem, but are they representative of the whole spectrum? I mean, US has 0 vacation days mandatory, but I don't think anyone here is even considering not having at least some vacation days from their employer (however laughable it may be for a german the 10-15 days of vacation americans get). We started the entire discussion from a google employment offer. Well, let's be serious, if you're good enough to work for Google, you're good enough to work anywhere. You don't have to worry about a thing, as probably already have several jobs that you can pick from at any point in time you feel like it. And get at least 20% pay raise when you're hopping jobs.

But how do the weakest members of your society feel like? That Walmart or McDonalds employee who has two jobs working 15 hours per day and barely getting by? The social safety net is not there to protect the powerful, but to help the weak get up on their feet. How often are they fired for no reason (or racist reason) and they just simply have no way to retaliate? How often do they go without vacation the entire year? The fact that the law exists it means that it opens an abuse avenue that can be taken advantage of by those with power against those without it. This entire thing looks like that health care debate from days past: "gently caress you, got mine". Just because Google would never take advantage of this kind of law (since their employees are smart enough to make it not worth it) it doesn't mean that is a just law or that it doesn't gently caress over people.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

fantastic in plastic posted:

Thanks for your input on US employment law. How are the First Nations doing?

From bad to worse as of course, is tradition.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

mrmcd posted:

Like dude if you're gonna download a whole repo, make sure it's on git. Full backups and commit history are in every client by design, so it'll just look like your normal work. Amateur hour!

What does git have to do with it? SVN may be what they use in some teams in Google (according to that testimony it is in that team), so checking out the entire repo for work is not that crazy (not advisable normally though).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

Also, lol at not bothering to check those logs until a supplier accidentally sent a "lidar by Google otto" blueprint to the Google LIDAR team.

With 100k+ employees, is kinda hard to check all the logs all the time. I mean, the guy was part of that team after all.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
A bit of background:
I've been working part-time for the last 2 years for a little startup (2 people, one full blown business-suit who is the CEO and one scientist/developer). The projects were interesting and I enjoyed the additional income. Through the work of the CEO they have received some funding recently (few mil $). Therefore they have asked me (informally, nothing written yet) to join them full-time.

Question:
I would like to join them since i don't particularly like my day job anyway. I do expect that I will receive some stock options, and I do expect that the salary they'll offer will be competitive. But ... should I ask to be made co-founder? If yes, how? What does co-founder even mean, actually? Just a title, with a bit of stake in the company or is it more than that? I remember reading a long time ago an article titled "Better to be the last co-founder than the first employee". How could/should I go about it?

Thank you.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

You're not a cofounder, you've been taking their money for 2 years when they didn't have money. It's better to be the last co-founder than the first employee in the same way its better to win the lottery than to not win the lottery.

You should put that from your mind, and instead seek competitive salary + competitive equity. That can mean lots of things, but with a few million in the bank it probably means 90-100% of a 'normal' salary, and 0.5-5% equity. It's a big range, but it all depends.

Thanks for opening my eyes (you and everyone before), as indeed you are right, i am not a founder and I did not take any risks so far. I guess I was just too greedy. I'll just look towards getting some employee-level stake in the company, even if ultimately it may be just a puff of smoke.
How is equity at this level usually handed down? Stock options with a vesting period? Without a vesting period? Other than the company shutting down, what other ways are for the employees to be left with nothing? While I do know the other co-founder (the scientist/developer guy) I never had any personal interaction with the business-suit CEO (who initially invested his own money, he's relatively rich), but money do crazy things to people. Ultimately I am wondering in how many ways can I get hosed? That is, the company getting relatively successful (maybe even bought by a big shark) and me still getting jack-poo poo in the end.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Welp, guess it's time to learn Java :shrug:

E: I mean, I'd have to learn a new language for most databases except, like, Riak or Couch, so

You don't need to learn Java to work with ElasticSearch. All it does is exposes an HTTP API, which can be called from any language. Nothing fancy.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Oh I wasn't clear, I'd like to actually try and contribute to it, too. It's a good API, though, big fan.

Oh, I wasn't aware that ElasticSearch was opensource. Apache Lucene (the search engine library upon which ElasticSearch is built) is opensource though, under an Apache licence, so at least you could contribute there.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have not been in this position before, but:

Sinten posted:

I have enough financial security to not need a job for years, so there's no risk of not making rent or starving before I can get another job.

Why are you there then? Only to avoid the awkward interview questions? You're unhappy and staying at the job is not making you any better. You have the financial security, therefore "im staying here because i need to pay the rent" doesn't apply. Get out, relax for a week, and then start job hunting. You're rested and presumably happier. You will have better success, no doubt.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
It probably depends on the companies/country/culture. In USA and Canada they'd love to squish the last drop of blood out of you before they throw you out on the street like a used TV. In high-demand fields (such as software engineers) they're a bit better, but not by much. Europe has it much better by comparison, as a lot of the legwork for worker's rights was done quite some time ago. Companies also have realized that having happy, rested and not overly-stressed employees is good for business. But they do make a shitton of more money in the US. And less taxes So ... YMMV.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Nobody likes assholes, brilliant or not, but incompetent nice people are not good to have in your team either.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Seems to be like stuff like iOS development (ObjC, Swift) is a lot harder to learn on the job than if you were moving from JS framework to JS framework. Especially if it's an entirely new field (e.g. learning mobile when you do web dev). Some things are just too involved to learn on the job.

I mean, I understand that programming is programming, and there's all sorts of knowledge transfer - but there's gotta be limits to that, right? Otherwise people wouldn't hesitate to hire web devs for embedded systems, or vice versa.

The only limits to learning is people's desire and ability to learn. The fact that companies hire people with X v3.5 experience to do X v3.5-type of job is one of the many failures of this relatively new computing industry. Just like you were able to take a worker that produces screwdrivers and make him create bullets, so can programmers from one field (web-dev for example) can do mobile (or hell, even embedded) applications.
Now it's true, a CS education is important to have. I don't think is mandatory, but it helps. In my opinion, the best lesson I learned in university was "how to study". I haven't touched AND and NOT and OR gates or created circuits with them in 20 years, but I know where to look and I know how to read, what to read and I'm sure I'll be able to create an adder in a short amount of time. Now, granted, it won't be as perfect as a guy who made his last adder yesterday and has been making them for some time, but come on. Is not rocket science.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Infinotize posted:

Stripe lol

I'm sure they all truly believe they are at the peak of tech culture, too.

Funny you're mentioning Stripe. Been looking around for a while for a payment provider for our product and we talked with a fair number of people in our area. I heard Stripe being mentioned numerous times. Maybe their culture is poo poo, but is their product OK? I mean, between them, Paypal or some other payment provider Stripe was the most mentioned.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Calling someone names (anything, wimp or worse), in a business environment is a big no-no. Even if we go out and drink ourselves to death every friday night. When at work, act accordingly. Furthermore, usually at work people are coworkers, not always friends. Even if we get along great at the office, doesn't mean we could (or want to) spend time outside of that. There are lines that should never be crossed.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

metztli posted:

With any online rating system I find it's only worth reading the bottom half of ratings/reviews This is based on the idea that happy reviews are either fake or will all be the same if genuine, while unhappy will mostly be unhappy about different things. If they don't have any bad reviews at all, I pass.

Glassdoor tends to be useless imo because they almost never have developer reviews, and in every org I've worked in, development was treated radically different than everyone else, good or bad.

Because people don't say anything about a product, service or their place of employment unless they either feel strongly one way or another or they're "incentivised" to do so. There are rare places where a lot of people are over-the-top happy with their place of employment for them to voice their positive opinion on a public forum. Therefore, what you're left with are unhappy people or those that are paid to say something. That's why you're never going to have many reviews of a place/product that's OK. And, for places of employment, OK is good. Not perfect, not amazing, but fine.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Stating an interest in it, but the position was for UI/front-end work. I didn't expect this one to be of that nature, but the company I was going to interview for is why I asked - I got curious.

If you put this interest on your resume, yeah, don't be surprised to be asked. I would ask that too. Why? Because I too like Mathematics (though not linear algebra in particular), and would be curious/interested to have an intelligent conversation on the topic with someone. And maybe they have machine learning ideas for later on, when (even for UI work) knowledge of the subject helps.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

There's nothing about it on my resume - from what I can tell, it was an offhanded comment about it to a recruiter, and apparently it factored into a company's decision re: hiring a front-end developer. :shrug:

I've heard stories about recruiters "updating" resumes without anyone's consent. He/she heard you like rockets? You better be sure you have "rocket scientist" written in the resume that the recruiter provides to companies.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Nice. You still came out on top of me, considering they didn't have you whiteboard out a full solution to Game of Life. I'm going to track down an easier way of doing that that doesn't involve a loving 2D array :suicide:

What's wrong with a 2d array for this? I just read about the "game" and a 2d array would be my first pick as well after a minute of thought.

After 2 minutes of thought, maybe a linked list? The elements would store the coordinates? The only elements that change are the ones around the last ones who changed?

Volguus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 2, 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Hmm, a hash is a great idea, since you always know what coordinates could be affected by the last operation. Good to know if anyone will ask me in the future.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

quote:

Javascript for the front-end.
Holy hell, it just dawned on me. I haven't built a web application without JS since ... i don't even remember when. 10 years ago, I was able to install NoScript and browse the majority of websites. Some were broken, but not unusable. I was always mindful even in my own apps to degrade somewhat gracefully if JS is not available. Not today, not since in a long time. NoScript today would probably mean an unusable web. Completely unusable.
Just today the EFF told W3C to go pound sand over the DRM standard. 5 years from now all websites will have DRM for everything. Not just video, not just audio, but text, images, everything over the newly wide adopted http3 standard.

quote:

There is nothing wrong with your browser. Do not attempt to adjust the settings. We are now controlling the transmission. We control the horizontal and the vertical. We can deluge you with a thousand websites or expand one single image to crystal clarity and beyond. We can shape your vision to anything our imagination can conceive. For the next decades we will control all that you see and hear. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I worked at 20000+ people company where I had everything I needed the day I showed up. I worked (not for long) at 300+ people company where on my second day (first day was bullshit going around HR crap, all day) I sat in front of my extremely empty desk until 5:00 PM when a very sweaty and probably tired IT guy showed up with a computer.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

anytime someone tells you ml is gonna replace some job function ask them why that job hasn't already been offshored if it's so easy to reduce it to input -> some stuff happens -> output

modern ml is mostly going to make things that are of very low economic value feasible, it's not gonna replace highly paid professionals. we already do that where we can with indian and chinese labour

Some jobs cannot be offshored and yet they will probably be the first to disappear: professional drivers, fast food workers come to mind first. Those classes of jobs (which do make a sizable workforce now) stand no chance.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

geeves posted:

Our Operations people had us install JAMF on our machines last week. Exempting the C-levels of course (kept secret from the rest of the company, which given our company's mission and values is highly hypocritical).

First email this week: "Please respond if you must use firefox and why or else it will be removed from your machine."

I'm one of the few trusted with access to production machines but apparently not my own imac. Amazing.

:lol:

They would remove firefox from my machine over my dead or fired body. Hahaha, if they'd think i'd use the other lovely browsers.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

Presumably they're not removing Safari.

It sounds like locking a fleet down with group policy on Windows where you can whitelist approved executables. That lets you do stuff like tell the machines' firewalls to blanket block anything outgoing from an exe that's not on the list, so if someone runs eg. some malware dropper, it's hopefully unable to call home for a payload. Of course then you can't run FF portable off your USB stick or whatever but then your security people don't want you running anything off a USB stick and they're correct.

As long as "the apps that I use" make it on the list I'd be cool with it. Otherwise, hell no. And if they try and pull the old "but then everyone ..." i'd tell them to go gently caress themselves and put my poo poo on that list and shut the hell up. If the CEO needs to hear about it then he/she will.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

redleader posted:

Ah yes, but now you're locked into using only those apps. Good luck trying to get anything new approved.

True. At which point it comes down to simple math: do you want/need me working on poo poo for this company or not? Because if it comes down to a dick size contest every time I want to install/do something it will get old fast and the people who do not depend on those jobs will be the first to leave that ship. Unfortunately (for the ship) those are also the people who it needs the most.

IT can monitor things without disrupting people's ability to use the computers. It can keep a tight and secure ship without interfering with people's work. When something like whitelist-ing programs come along, you can bet your rear end is just some over controlling and incompetent freak. The company as a whole would be much better off without him/her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

Devs can have access to a VM container

This thing would give me nightmares. I mean, there are very many valid reasons to run VMs on my development machine, there are development workflows that require one (more or less. Writing a kernel driver is a bit easier with a VM to test things on) but if I don't have to, why the hell would I run a rocket at walking speed? If I have a powerful machine, I wanna use it drat it, not gently caress around with crap like that. And if I don't have a powerful machine, well then that's even more of a reason to not run VMs.

Or, even worse, you were thinking to remotely develop on VMs that run on some ultra-mega-powerful server? Holy poo poo that's awful as well. Depending on what needs to be done, of course, but loving hell... I know is Halloween and all but man, don't scare me like this. I am 100% sure that I would not work on such a setup. gently caress that noise.