Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I suppose this varies from company to company, but I'm curious about looking for a job where you work remotely full time. Do companies typically pay a wage 'typical' for where they're physically located, or do they usually scale it back a bit?

I live in a very poor city, and while I do decently well for myself lately I've been very interested in trying to find a full time remote job for some SV company. Would be sweet if I could double my salary and keep my current living situation.

I suppose all I can really do is interview and see what they offer, but I thought I'd see if any of you guys have experience with this.

I graduated 5 years ago and have been steadily employed ever since, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Could you guys share some resume descriptions for jobs you've had?

I somehow lost my resume and the only copy I have is from when I graduated college, so all it has is like my two internships on it and the job descriptions I put feel super vague and non-descript. Cleaning it up now for some light prospect searching. I sent it to a [non-IT] friend to read and his takeaway was that it seemed "kind of plain, nondescript, and probably understates what you actually do"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't post in this thread often, but my company just had a big meeting today and I wanted to get some opinions / advice on what I'm doing with my career.

A little background on the company:

The government mandates that certain medical facilities follow a product my company developed. We do have competitors, but because we founded this product it cemented us as the experts on how other businesses use it. This has enabled us to maintain 80%+ of the market.

Next year, the gov will no longer mandate our product. What this means is that we will no longer be the "experts" in the field, but rather just another vendor. (Currently, our customers have a few choices, but since we came up with the fundamental idea why would they go to anyone but us?)

The CIO just called a meeting to asked if any of us were scared for next year or anything like that. He said he doesn't think we have any reason to be scared because we aren't *just* the experts but our software is the best in the business and we need to express that to our customers.

That said, I've been with the company for 3 years and while I am mostly happy here I'm often very bored and have some concerns for my future.

Pros:
* Fairly relaxed, often not a ton of work to do
* Excellent health insurance
* The retirement contribution is 9% of the first $16K you make, then 12% of the rest of your salary. And that's not matching; they just give you that :stare:
* I get along really well with my coworkers

Cons:
* Sometimes the relaxed atmosphere makes it difficult for me to get motivated / focus
* Very unfriendly towards working remotely (ie you better have a reason for it)
* Our code quality could be described as OK at best, and "should be criminal" at worst.
* I'm not learning anything here
* No room for growth; my "team" is me (programmer), a DBA, and my boss who doesn't do any code work (his boss is the CIO)

I've been pretty bored here for about a year now, but the list of Pros has kept me from looking for a better job. I don't think I could succeed in a role that would pay enough for me to continue to pad my retirement account like this company does, and I spend only a few bucks a month for excellent health coverage.

I have 6 years of experience:
* 1.5 years for a tiny company, working individually making custom desktop applications for local businesses
* 1.5 years for an international bank. I feel like I was very under-utilized here. I was the last person to get hired on a team before the company forcefully pushed my boss into a new project a few months after I joined. My new boss gave me very little work before they ultimately chose not to renew my contract (massive budget cuts and they were opening new offices in cheaper parts of the world)
* 3.25 years at my current company. A good amount of web app dev

I definitely suffer from a bit of Imposter Syndrome, and I do have ADHD which can make it really hard for me to focus. Especially on a project that I don't like. I also have very high student debt ($1K/mo) which makes me afraid of job instability.

I suppose I can at least take interviews, it's not like I have to accept an offer. But yea, I don't know what the gently caress to do. Life is weird and work sucks. Part of me wants to leave, part of me says, "but that retirement account!" and then another part of me says, "Do you really think you'll be content anywhere long term?" :(

Typically, what are the responsibilities of a Senior developer? I've read job descriptions but I don't think they ever give a clear picture and are hardly any different than junior or mid level descriptions. Financially I feel like this is the sort of role I'd need to maintain similar levels of retirement contribution, but my imposter issues make me afraid I wouldn't be able to cut it, get fired, and then be financially hosed as my student loans burn through what meager savings I've been able to put together.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 7, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm in western NY.

I'm not entirely opposed to relocating, but it would be difficult:

* just signed a new lease in June
* have a dog
* I'd like to stay in the north east - so NYC / Boston are options
* I just moved to NY from MA 5 years ago and only recently feel like I've made friends, so having to find a new social circle all over again would kind of suck

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Presto posted:

Careful. Expertise counts for exactly poo poo these days. My last company had a Navy contract since forever. We were the experts. We lost the contract because another company underbid us by a couple million dollars. The bid was so low the government awarded them the contract but said they didn't think the company could do the work for the bid amount and tacked on some extra money.

Fair point, but even so I don't think the company would be like, oh no we're immediately out of business. There'd be time to see the ship sink.

Mniot posted:

It's hard to really know without actually seeing you at work, but I feel like "I'm bored" and "I'm not learning anything" are not a good combination. Why isn't this something you can fix? Two ideas:

1) You say the code quality is bad. Try out SonarQube or some other code-checker and verify that it catches some shittiness and suggests improvement. Make a proposal to your boss that you'll set up SonarQube, get it to monitor code as it comes in, and improve overall code quality by x% over the next y months. This will make it easier to onboard new developers and your company will be able to advertise that you use a code-quality tool to avoid mistakes. (This is a pretty back-end-y task since that's the stuff I like, but you could do something similar on the front. Or, like, move to React or some other popular library.)

2) A more selfish option. Find some open-source library and get it into your code-base. Now spend as much of your time as possible fixing and improving that library and pushing your changes upstream. If things are stable, repeat with some new library.

If your problem is that you're bored but also so micro-managed that you can't make up more interesting work, then that's a problem and you should leave. Maybe you should leave anyway, but I don't think you should rely on your job to just hand you interesting work. Especially if you want to make senior-level money, you should be able to find and articulate a problem to solve.

The big issue is ultimately that my company is *ridiculous* about testing absolutely every minute change (not inherently a bad thing) and we just don't have the resources to do the testing that my boss would want to do. I spent almost a year using some code analysis tool (blanking on the name right now) - we opened up a new branch in SVN for this tool explicitly, but by the time we made all the changes there was too much to test and we scrapped it, returning to the old code base and just doing our annually mandated tweaks to that codebase.

Also, I should clarify. This company is a very small company (~60 people between IT, clinical, and all the other departments). They primarily contract a code writing firm in India to do major projects - including initially writing the application. Then I just do bug fixes, smaller scale new functionality and things like that. So if I want to include some new framework, then we also need to give that to India so when we need them in the future then our projects will match.

So I guess I wouldn't say that I'm micro-managed, it's just that there's tons of red tape. I think you have a really good point about "not relying on the employer to hand you interesting work" though. I mean, whenever I do get new stuff to do (rather than bug fixing) I try to do it as well as I can while still maintaining our practices, but sometimes you can only do so much.

I think I'm going to at least start interviewing. Worst case scenario I just stay where I am :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Definitely agree that interviewing is way less stressful when you already have a job, rather than being unemployed and needing a job. But it still sucks, in my opinion.

Also I often have fairly regular doctor appointments between seeing a counselor and some extensive dental work, so trying to take even more "sick time" so that I can interview is a huge pain in the butt

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 12, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just wanted to get other people's thoughts on this job posting I came across. They mention:

* "Unprecedented" revenue growth
* "Urgent need" for senior development manager + senior testing manager
* 4 year degree + 3-5 years experience, ideally in JS / jQuery, CSS, and web applications
* "Annual earnings potential of over $100,000"
* "Casual, fun, team environment with a family feel"

The high salary + low experience requirement kind of throws me for a loop. I live in WNY which has an absurdly low cost of living, but $100K would be a 53% pay increase for me.

I think I'm going to apply, but it sounds a little too good to be true? Either that or they'll work you like a dog - and my life schedule really cannot afford overtime.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Agreed on both accounts of potential red flags

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What's the "minimum raise" you guys would accept for a new job?

I've been at my current place for 3.5 years. Great coworkers, great benefits, fair pay but I think it's time I move on. Emailed a recruiter who emailed me a week ago and she was curious about salary stuff.

I currently make $65K but total compensation is probably closer to $80K (I live in a poor region), so I told her I'd be looking to make at least that much, which is a 20-25% raise or so. No idea if I'm undercutting myself or what.

I got rid job when I had about 3 years of experience, now I've got 6 :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not necessarily looking for a "promotion"; my current title is "Programmer/Analyst". The job description the recruiter forwarded me doesn't have a title attached, but looking at the company's actual website it looks like it'd be ".NET Engineer/Developer" so it sounds like it's pretty lateral (which I'm OK with).

You're definitely right, New Yorp New Yorp, that I should've asked for an array of postings and roughly what they pay each. She flat out said on the phone something to the effect of "This company typically pays anywhere from 70-90 so I could put you in at 80". Maybe when I email her my resume I'll just say, "Hey I did some rough estimating based on taxes and such and I'd actually need X, contrary to what I said earlier"? :shrug:

Good idea about asking for a sign on bonus, Doh004, because my company doesn't do Annual Raises/Bonuses until February.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I still haven't sent the recruiter my Resume yet (she contacted me via LinkedIn) so I highly doubt she's spoken to the actual company yet. I would imagine a chance to negotiate is on the table.

I don't NEED a job, I'd just like more money and I'm sick being bored out of my skull.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

asur posted:

At six year experience you should be targeting senior positions and 90k seems on the low end for any senior role.

As I said before, I live in a pretty poor region (WNY) so wages are lower than something like Boston, NYC, or California

Most Senior stuff looks for 10+ years experience, and I'm not so sure I can foot the bill just yet.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

asur posted:

I don't know WNY specifically, but 90k would be low in Cedar Rapids, nevermind any metropolitan area.

You can buy a house in an okay town for like $70K here, so...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Off to a great start with this recruiter.

First job canceled my phone interview 12 minutes beforehand and hasn't replied yet for a follow up. They sent an email to the recruiter saying they needed to reschedule, and she forwarded that email to me 30 minutes after the scheduled interview.

I told the recruiter I wanted to only pursue one job at a time so that I'm not taking a ton of time off from work but she went ahead and sent my resume off to another job who wants to interview in person, but after giving them my availability they haven't responded :shrug:

Also she told the first job "Sab669 wants $85 but is flexible depending on benefits and opportunity". Bitch I never said I was flexible.

I hate job hunting, regardless of whether I'm working with a recruiter or not, but this particular one is really rubbing me the wrong way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Trying to come up with excuses for taking time off to interview is the loving worst.

I like the idea of a Full Time Remote job, but I fear for my productivity / employment stability.

How do you guys keep yourself focused when working from home?

I had a job for 1.5 years where my boss worked in an office in a different state, so I could work from home whenever I wanted. Before long I was virtually playing video games all day. I got my work done, and the company was very poorly managed and I was heavily under-utilized but I'm afraid of falling into that trap of getting comfy slacking off. I was on a rolling six month contract and they decided not to renew me because they were massively downsizing IT / shipping work overseas - but I'm sure if I was more aggressive about getting work assigned they probably would have kept me :shrug:

I had my first interview today. The hours are worse (8-5 instead of 7:30-4:30), the commute is about the same distance but potentially worse because its location, and the retirement plan is not very generous (they'll match 33% of what I contribute, up to 5%) and I'd lose about 5 days of PTO. But if it's a 30% raise, that's a lot of loving money.

Unfortunately with the holiday season, companies are slow to move on anything so my first interview for another job was scheduled after the new year.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So my company has an internal website which contains a bunch of links to various software that our non-IT users rely on.

Earlier this year we set up a new data center and had to update all of our domain names.

Whoever updated the internal site so that the links point to the new domains never checked this in to source control.

I had to push an update to this site Monday, breaking the links because my version of the file from SVN was never updated, obviously.

Didn't take long to fix it. But it caught the CTO's attention immediately, and he wasn't happy.

I fixed it in under an hour on Monday when the problem was discovered.

Today the CTO just sent a Meeting Invite to me, my boss, another manager, and the head of HR scheduled for Friday at lunch time.

:suicide:

Any idea how I can approach this meeting to protect myself? I don't feel like I did anything wrong. I did create a back up and the time stamp on the file that wasn't checked into SVN was at 5:50PM, which almost guarantees it was my boss who modified it earlier this year.

I don't want to go into this meeting pointing fingers, but I don't think I did anything wrong. I grabbed an update from SVN, saw I had the latest - why would I think to manually diff my file against the live one first? That's the only way I could have prevented this.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 2, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I will concede I did break the site (again for less than an hour) while deploying another change a few months ago. So I get why the CTO might feel it necessary to schedule a meeting to say, "Listen you dumb gently caress: this site should not break for any reason" - but yea, I've just been writing everything down this morning:

Date & Content of the back up on the live server
Dates of my local files
Dates of JIRA issues from earlier this year (assigned to my boss) naming the file that caused all of this.

I did have an interview before Christmas, and another one tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the gently caress out of here, and make a lot more money in the process.

Somehow I missed your response, New Yorp - yea I'm regularly asked to push aspx or cshtml files to production, both for internal & external products. For "functional changes" that would impact the JS or a DLL my boss does it during a scheduled maintenance period.

Automated deployment? I loving wish. This company's SVN & deployment process is terrible and has been a complaint of mine since I started here. I've tried to build a tool to automate it, or at least make it easier, but never completed that project.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 2, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FWIW, the email for the meeting was titled "<website> cleanup" and the body simply said "quick review of the <website> site"

Which sounds innocuous, but...

It's going to be a long week and I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about this :(

I definitely don't think any sort of, "What are you going to do, fire me?" attitude is the right approach. They could. There's 1 other developer who used to work on my main project, and we pay an Indian software farm for projects too big for us - so the company could fall back on those guys if they're understaffed.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Keetron posted:

As you can expect, the government has a hard time finding devs that are willing to work for them.

From what I understand this is also largely due to our asinine stance on marijuana & drug testing :)

If you already have demonstrable skills in IT then I don't think going for a degree is especially worth the money, unless you have a way to get your education paid for.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I left work early for an interview yesterday afternoon. Went well - recruiter emailed me in the evening saying she received an email from the company's HR saying they'll be in touch to move forward.

But more importantly, the CTO who scheduled my HR meeting today announced yesterday, after I left for my interview, that he would be out of the office today. Rescheduled my meeting for Wednesday next week. Wtf.

I was just going to keep my mouth shut but I think today I'll ask my boss exactly what's going on. I don't want this looming over my head all weekend.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

Grab the bull by the horns, have the meeting with HR anyway, give them your notice, and explain why without pointing fingers.

“The issues I resolved during the incident were entirely preventable, if we had basic procedures in place and people actually followed them. I’ve been trying to bring them in myself, but given the incident, and the fact I haven’t been given the time to do so makes me feel nobody else cares, as such... IM OUTTA HERE BITCHES, as CTO is away, you can give him the news”

God I wish. I don't have the offer yet from the new company - yesterday was my first interview. Today they sent over a code project to work on and I'm not confident I'll be able to complete it within the next 4-5 days, primarily due to pre-existing life commitments.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

THIS FUCKIN GUY rescheduled my meeting with HR for the second time now.

I finally went to my boss and asked what this was about, and he said, "CTO probably wants to see what HR's team needs are because they use <internal site that I broke briefly> regularly. They are usually the ones who tell us what links to add or remove. Also the CTO was out for a bit from the holidays so he's had to reschedule a bunch of meetings"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Feel better now?

Slightly. I knew I wasn't getting Fired, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't stressed out last week over this.

rt4 posted:

Oh! Well, I still say :sever: because that's what I always say itt

You're definitely right; I won't be making much more money here any time soon, and I'm not learning much. But man the retirement plan here is so good.

Also the imposter syndrome is strong, and I struggle with motivation. The company I interviewed with most recently really liked me, and as a coding challenge they want me to make an Imgur-like site - but I'm just struggling to get focused and work on it in the evening. And even if I can complete this, I wonder if I'd actually be a good candidate for this role.

I get overwhelmed and discouraged somewhat easily and it sounds like they probably want someone who has better project management skills than I have.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

Wait, your site’s customer is HR? Well... that makes things really different.

It makes things worse.

It's literally just a static page full of links to different resources.

Our software login pages
Pay stubs / benefits
JIRA
Support tickets
Docushare

A handful of other random links. It's essentially just a "So you don't know how to use Bookmarks" convenience page.

And what happened was when someone updated the links to our actual software products, that didn't get checked in. So I pushed a change that added an additional link to some phone queue software for tech support [and overwrote the URLs to the software that clinical support probably uses].

I can't imagine HR ever goes into our software.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Like, seriously :wtf:

I exaggerate a little bit, the exact request was:

* Use pagination to display albums
* Be able to click on albums to view thumbnails of images in gallery
* Be able to click on users to view their submissions

Don't necessarily need to handle uploading images and stuff like that.

They wanted me to use this instead of a DB for the project: https://jsonplaceholder.typicode.com/
I'm familiar with working with JSON, obviously, but I'm not sure exactly how to utilize this so it's just one more thing I need to sit down and figure out to work on this. And as I said, sometimes easily overwhelmed :saddowns:

And the requirements they sent me were written very poorly - presumably this was done intentionally to see if I'd speak up / what questions I'd ask for clarification.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 9, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's 10PM on a Friday and I just shut down my PS4 to go to sleep on a Friday at I'm still in my 20s lol.

Never mind "staying up late" on an actual work night

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have any of you guys worked exclusively as a part time contractor/self employed?

I've been out of school 7 years and I feel myself getting burnt out. I've got 4-5 years left on my student loans, part of me wants to switch careers but part of me says "lol and do what". I was thinking compromise and just take short contracts, nothing longer than 3 months. Renovate an old van and just work remotely from wherever in the US.

My main concern would simply be being able to find short term contracts when I need them. Then assuming I can, what sort of work are those contracts typically like? I can't figure out what sort of job might be like "Yea we need another body, but only for a month or two"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is my third programming job. One was a tiny, 7-person company dealing directly with clients. Another was for an international bank, and my current is for a leading medical (EMR) company. So I feel like I have decent exposure to different "schools" of the industry (tiny, small, huge companies). I do enjoy actually programming, but I'm not ultra competent* and I have little stomach for everything else that comes with it: reading & parsing requirements docs, all the meetings, QA, just...everything lol

* Definitely some imposter syndrome, but also I know my theory & skillset just aren't that good which has prevented me from getting better jobs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

uhhhh i've got some bad news about this "become a self employed/contractor" plan

the talent deficit posted:

this is like 90% of your time as a solo contractor

Fair :( I was hoping short term contracts would be more directly, "We know what needs to be done, we just need someone to write it". I used to get emails about ~3 month contracts relatively often from recruiters but previously I never looked at them so I wasn't sure what sort of work they typically entail.

MrMoo posted:

I look for say a 6-month contract every year, goal is to tour around in a VW campervan and chillax. Even better to have maintenance contracts for regular bill payment.

Hell yea, this is basically what I want to do. Don't need to rake in the dough, I just want to be able to afford food and gas/insurance/car payment.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

vonnegutt posted:

I also have a long-term plan to pay off my house and then do part time contracts, but those concerns along with taxes / self employment paperwork seem like too big of a hassle right now.

Yea, as I said I've still got 5 years on my student loans so I'm trapped in the Full Time Cube Drone mode until then at least. Maybe even another year or two after that depending on how much I have saved up for said van + hardware to make it livable. Just trying to get vague ideas of what to expect for work to support such a lifestyle :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What does "IC" even stand for? Maybe it's just a Monday morning brain fart but I cannot for the life of me think of what this title could be...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CPColin posted:

Old company was like, "You can't be a team lead unless you start toeing the company line." and I was all, "I'm not toeing the company line until you take a line worth toeing." and we reached an impasse that lasted until I got laid off.

The Dr. Cox avatar checks out

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So changing the topic slightly, if one wasn't in dire need of a [new] job, what are you guys' thoughts on refusing take-home tests specifically?

I enjoy coding, but I have a life outside of work and I'm strongly disinterested in sacrificing my time to do a project. Doubly so if they're playing the "we gave you poo poo specs to test your ability to ask for clarification" game because playing phone email tag waiting for answers is a stupid waste of time.

I have no problem with on-site whiteboarding or any other "typical" interview process testing, but expecting me to sacrifice 10, 15, maybe even 20 hours of my time outside of my current job is horseshit IMO. I stare at a screen and write code all day, the last thing I want to do is go home and write more code. Also, frankly, I have ADHD and it's really hard for me to just force myself to do "productive" work when I'm not on the clock. I know that's kind of "just an excuse", but :shrug: I don't really care because I'm not in need of a job.

I've never considered just flat-out telling recruiters/companies about my unwillingness to do take homes. The last time I was given one, I asked for some spec clarification, briefly started the project and then after thinking about the interviews I had more, I simply told the recruiter I wasn't interested. Would it be worthwhile to save everyone's time to make this point clear ahead of time? Something like, "If you know they give take-home tests, don't give them my resume" ?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The last one I was given was basically, "Go build a slightly feature-lacking imgur". Maybe it wouldn't have taken 20 hours, I suck at estimating project lengths. But it definitely would've taken me way more than 5 hours.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm sure I was overestimating how long it would take me to do it, but also I can't help but think that if I don't put a bunch of effort into making the UI nice and everything really polished then they wouldn't "accept" it either. I don't know what's a reasonable amount of effort to put into those kinds of projects.

I don't know, I'm just convinced I'm not a very strong developer and I have a hard time starting new projects because every job I've ever had I'm just getting thrown into well-established code bases. I haven't created a full blown new website since college, and then half the frameworks that are popular today either didn't exist or I simply didn't use it. So I'd probably need to spend a fair amount of time simply figuring out what to do in order to simply get started.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Paolomania posted:

Why do y'all continue to let the troll poo poo up the thread?

This. What's the point of me adding him to my ignore list if I have to read all of you people quoting and replying :v:

CPColin posted:

It's important for everybody else to see such a stark example of what not to be.

I consider myself a fairly non-judgemental person, open to listening to other people's opinions and often consider theirs more valid than my own. The very first post I saw by SoH when I re-opened this thread for the first time in a while like a week ago I was immediately like, "Holy poo poo this guy sounds like an insufferable idiot" - so if that immediately jumps out to someone like me I don't think we really need to continue to deconstruct his asinine opinions for another 20 pages, do we?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I want to apologize for my earlier post; stress as deadlines loom. gently caress this summer.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gildiss posted:

I've witnessed people on video interviews lip syncing answers spoken by someone else off camera.

I honestly find this really impressive? Like how did they coordinate that?

Interview asks a question, candidate says, "Hmm let me think for a moment" while their buddy IM's them what words to mouth?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I don't think he was talking about people like you, that's pretty normal behaviour. He was talking about people who refuse to try anything new at work or refuse to do something outside their comfort zone for fear that they might actually learn something new.

Where do you people work where you can just arbitrarily decide to include new libraries/frameworks into your products?? If I told my boss I was going to add <whatever latest hot JS library> for some new feature we're adding I'd 100% get a very cockeyed look, then be told QA doesn't have the time to test such a thing enough. I'm all for trying to write better code, but that seems like the extent of my "control" over my own personal development while at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

rt4 posted:

I've had the ability to add new libraries to existing projects at most jobs I've had. The ones where I couldn't felt very conservative in their practices and also lacked basic stuff like automated deployments (talking about web stuff). I didn't stay long at those places.

Sounds like my current place :downs:

From a technological / skillset / direct pay perspective I want to leave, but the actual benefits are really good and the coworkers are the most enjoyable I've ever had. But my area (western NY) doesn't have many great opportunities and I dislike most of the regions that are "worth" relocating to :sigh: