Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Pollyanna, your situation sounds a looooooot like mine. I also had this feeling like I want to create something but don’t have the creative “juice”. I found it helpful in the past year to spend real honest effort to “just do it” with a side project after work. My hope is that creativity is just a muscle you have to train. Doing this can then help in a few ways: (1) you might finally break through and learn how to channel your creativity; (2) you might learn that it’s just not that fun for you to design games; and (3) regardless of which of the above happens, you can still learn a lot and even have a project to show to people if you want to start applying to game jobs.

tl;dr try not to judge yourself on what you think you have or don’t have in you. Anything you feel is difficult can be learned with practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I've been working for a decade in C++ - robotics, video games, etc. I love this stuff, but lately I've been thinking about getting into public service (working for local/state/federal government). The trouble is none of the postings are looking for a weird C++ dude. Most job postings either require specific knowledge like PeopleSoft, or general "full-stack" app development skills. I have neither set of skills! I have no idea what the govt is looking for, so I have a few questions:

(1) For weird specific stuff like PeopleSoft, is it enough to teach myself and say I know it, or do I need to get some kind of certification to prove it? Do I really want to do this to myself?

(2) For full-stack skills, is it better to teach myself and build something cool to show off, or is there some kind of certification that people look for? If I make something neat in Django, would they hire somebody for their rails app? (this question goes for non-govt stuff too).

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I dunno how other people feel but I personally consider “you get to learn a weird language” as a plus.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

After 9 months of glorious unemployment, I’m job hunting again. We are trying to move to San Francisco because we love the city and have lots of friends there. But it’s hard to live there without a job!

There was one reeeeally interesting opening to work for a video game console manufacturer. They pay great, I’d learn lots of new things, and I’d get annual trips to Japan. The dream. Over the last 2 months I did 9 (!) interviews with them. They turned me down in the end because they had another candidate who just happened to have way more experience.

I’m not mad that I didn’t get the job, but I definitely fell into the trap of assuming I already had it in the bag. Planning this move to SF has been extremely stressful and so I found it easier to envision our family’s life there while also assuming I had this job. Now that I don’t, I’m forced to reckon with the idea of continuing to plan this move while I still don’t have a job. It’s scary.

There is a silver lining though - I had been complaining to my wife this whole time that I wasn’t excited about having to work for another Big Company. I’ve done the faang thing and wanted to try something different. So this gives me more time to try and find something more fulfilling, but it’s so overwhelming!!

I applied to a few small game dev teams, and I also applied to some jobs with the City of SF. I’m also interested in non-profits, but I have no idea where to start there. My ideal would be to work somewhere that I would care about the team’s success even if I didn’t work there.

But time is ticking - we want to move by this summer for our kid’s school schedule, and we need jobs before then in order to get an apartment. I’m not sure how long to look for the ideal job before taking a safer option like working for a previous company again.

Edit: I should be clear - my wife has great job options there, so even if I don’t have something nailed down she could support us; but she could also be more choosy if I’m bringing in an income too

giogadi fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 29, 2024