Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

I don't really know how competitive 90k is for NYC, since I've never even glanced at it for my own career, but I think you're over-thinking this.

Get a job where you're programming in a reasonably modern language that you're interested in. Try and learn poo poo while you're working. Try and keep up on, or at least be aware of, some of the advances in your language/framework while you're working. If you find you don't like working at a startup, apply to non-startup companies for your next job. The way to be a better coder in the long run is to code, it doesn't really matter what the type of business is where you're doing it.

Also, you haven't really given us nearly enough information about the SF job, but I'd be really
really
really
really
really really wary of moving across the country, to the other highest cost of living city in the country, for nothing more than a single month of guaranteed work (Oh but there will be more IF it's successful I pinky promise). Hell of a risk when you've already got an offer where you're living now.

quote:

but I don't think I'm qualified yet to work at a Google/Facebook/other obvious tech company.

Why not? Did you apply there and the hiring managers/senior engineers tell you that you aren't qualified? Because that's the only valid way to tell. Don't disqualify yourself, that's their job, and frankly you aren't qualified to know if you're qualified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Misogynist posted:

You can't apply a generalization like that to the whole software industry. There are situations where that's not the norm and there's no reason to do it

Yeah, there's no reason to do it. That doesn't stop some crusty executive or a random MBA from doing it anyway. Though in smaller companies I imagine it's easier to get that person sent packing. If 10 employees complain about one manager and those 10 employees are 30% of someone's company, that someone might be inclined to listen and take action. Unless the guy being complained about is that someone's nephew.

I'm pretty sure they're not applying it to the whole software industry, either. But people get burned, and it embitters us.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

bonds0097 posted:

But I imagine the whole 'us vs. them' class warfare mentality is a lot more popular these days.

Yeah, it's not that a bunch of people have been screwed over and expected to work more hours for no pay or any other form of compensation. It's about being the 99%, man.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kitten smoothie posted:

Dear recruiter: I didn't respond to you when you emailed me at work the first, second, or third time. I am baffled as to why you think emailing me at work a fourth time will result in a different outcome, and why you think it's a good idea to hire the sort of person who thinks it's a good idea to use work email to correspond about leaving their job.

Does emailing people at work actually generate actionable leads and responses? Is it the same thing as selling dick pills via spam, that you'll annoy 99.99% of people and they'll trash your message, but the .01% of idiots that respond will make it all worth the trouble?

Wouldn't surprise me if the recruiter himself wasn't even part of the decision-making process. Automatic keyword matching puts your resume together with job postings, generates a form letter, slaps your email on there, and the recruiter pushes the Go button, maybe after looking it over for 10 seconds (but maybe not). Thinking about appropriate email addresses probably doesn't enter into it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

And in any case, even if you do leave, you should get the raise so wherever you go next you have a higher salary number to quote if you don't successfully manage to not give that number before getting an offer.

There's no reason to ever give this number. Some places will refuse to move forward without it, at which time you should either tell them to gently caress off or state a number that corresponds to your desired salary, not your previous one.

Your previous salary is irrelevant to your new job. Full stop.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

geetee posted:

They want us to serve all European traffic out of our data center in Europe. (I think only a few things are set up there currently.) This sounds perfectly wise for the obvious latency reasons, but that's not the driving force.

They basically want to use some corporate tax loophole to minimize what they need to pay Uncle Sam. I know plenty of companies do this kind of stuff, but I'm just used to reading about it and shaking my head, not actively participating. Should I feel such an ethical dilemma?

For me it would depend on how much of the business is being done in Europe. Like, does the European traffic lead to Europeans purchasing goods that are then shipped to them from European warehouses by European workers? To me that sounds like European business and therefore the taxes belong to some member of the EU. If Europeans are ordering goods that are shipped internationally from the U.S., yeah that seems a bit scummier.

I KNOW that that's not the dividing line according to written law (because that makes sense and as is pretty well established by now, the letter of the law has little to do with what makes sense). That's just more or less where my personal moral line is.

As to whether you SHOULD feel an ethical dilemma, that's a question only you can answer, and how much it matters to you vs. how much you need to pay the bills. I'm pretty drat confident that you refusing to do the work or objecting will result in them re-thinking the ethics of tax dodging, though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

the talent deficit posted:

i just thought it was really weird they'd present 'pay for your own office and tools!' as some kind of benefit to me

It's because it usually is a benefit, except it's not "pay for your own office and tools." It's "use the tools you already have because you're a programmer and you have a powerful computer, and save potentially hours of your own time by not having to commute, and not have to put up with a bunch of distracting office noise or a boss looking over your shoulder because you're at home." Obviously that's not your situation, but I think that's how most people see it so I'm not surprised that they offer somewhat less money for that situation.

So yeah, it sounds like maybe you aren't a good fit for each other.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ithaqua posted:

A good employer will buy you the poo poo you need to do your job. I have a company laptop, but use my own keyboard/mouse/monitors. I don't ask them to pay for internet access because I'd be paying for that anyway.

I could just as easily say I don't expect them to pay for a computer because I have one at the location I'll be working (home) anyway. That said, something like that is such a trivial, and static, cost for a business that develops software that if I asked for one and they said it wasn't in their budget or it would cut into my compensation package, I would be seriously concerned (to put it mildly). I would absolutely expect them to pay for development software like Visual Studio since that's not something I'm going to buy for myself if I'm not already running my own development company.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sure they do. CFL-backlit monitors have backlights that go bad. SSDs use more erase cycles. Substantially greater thermal loads on PSUs, CPUs, GPUs, etc., can make those start doing funny things after a while.

I'm sorry, but programming does not put substantially greater thermal load on a CPU or GPU. At least not the kind of programming I've ever done; I spend most of my time typing, not building or rendering. If you're talking about the fact that these things are just ON during the day when they otherwise wouldn't be, okay, but idling doesn't really put any kind of strain on these components. Running during the day or not, most of this poo poo isn't going to wear out and die before I'm ready to replace the machine on my own anyway (barring manufacturing defects, but if this is my home machine I'm replacing those parts myself anyway).

If your nightmare scenario happens and my computer just suffers multiple catastrophic hardware failure one day out of nowhere, somehow, I would probably ask for a laptop from the company at that point so I could keep working. I'm not getting a Dell Business Line Laptop for my own use and it usually takes me some time to research and order components for my personal machines.

But the real answer is that it completely depends on the scenario and the compensation I'm already getting and it's not a black and white situation, even though Internet likes to pretend otherwise much of the time.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Milotic posted:

I've been working in my current job for five years, and I'm thinking about a change. My CV is going to need a complete overhaul first. Is it worth going through the pain, blood, sweat and tears of learning LaTeX or are there better methods of iterating over and making decent looking CVs?

Dear god. Use Word or LibreOffice.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

minato posted:

Isn't the reason it's standard practice for companies just to answer "Person X was employed here from <start-date> to <finish-date>" to avoid lawsuits if they decided to say something bad about Person X? If so, it sound like that questionnaire is inviting a visit from Saul Goodman.

There is a difference between references and basic employment confirmation. You call up every company on a candidate's resume to confirm that yes, they did work there and no, they aren't lying about that. You contact a reference to get more subjective information about a candidate. References are people specifically listed by the candidate as references with the understanding that the candidate will be discussed in detail, some of which will be subjective. More to the point, a candidate would have to be pretty stupid to list someone hostile to them as a reference.

I'm no lawyer, but some quick googling tells me that it would be very difficult to prove defamation in this situation. Apparently many states recognize some kind of privilege for references, because they need to be candid to have any value (yay, state law variations again!). Then there's the whole thing about the reference needing to have made a knowingly false statement that provably damages the candidate in order for it to be defamation. No, I don't think that questionnaire is particularly sticky, though as a reference I would much prefer a phone call and conversation - filling out a form like that seems to defeat the purpose of a personal reference if you ask me.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kitten smoothie posted:

I also have some weird feeling of duty to my remaining teammates because they'll be screwed even further if I leave. This combined with a healthy helping of impostor syndrome is keeping me from aggressively looking for a new job.

Maybe I just need someone else to tell me I don't owe anyone poo poo but myself, and then I'll internalize it.

But also I'm curious how you deal with developer burnout because I'm going to still have to work here until I get around to finding a new job.

So yeah, you don't owe anyone anything but yourself. A better way to think about it is, while it's fine to consider your co-workers, especially if you're on good terms with them, they're still co-workers, not friends or family; you have to take care of yourself and burning out is not healthy.

As asur said, don't work crazy overtime anymore, if you're doing that. It's not your loving responsibility to make up for the company refusing to hire enough people to get the job done, stop rewarding that lovely behavior. Stop caring about the success of the project overall, focus on making your personal pieces work well, and then when 5:00 or 5:30 or whatever rolls around, put down the work (in every sense of the phrase), go home, and do something you enjoy, spend time with the family, etc. It's hard to burn out when you're not redlining yourself.

The hardest part of that is to stop caring, of course; working on a doomed project is pretty unfulfilling. I did that once, it was a big ambitious thing that my boss wanted to sell to industry bigwigs, and I was flying solo on it. I told him we needed more people, for quality control and UI design and polish at the bare minimum, if this was ever going to be a marketable product. The company wouldn't agree to another dime. I knew it wouldn't go anywhere. I knew.

So what I did was for each major feature that was left for me to do, I tried to build it in a way I hadn't done before. This gave me the opportunity to learn some new things and feel satisfied when I made them work. Yeah, it took longer than the "easy way" but the project was effectively dead and due to other circumstances there was no hard deadline, so that didn't matter. Essentially I shifted from being invested in the success of the project to being invested in the success of a single feature.

I left after the project was minimally functional. Last I heard, the company I worked for uses it and likes it, but when they showed it off to previously mentioned industry bigwigs, their reaction was basically, "Yeah that's cute. Come back when it has polish." The company shelved development on it, and it didn't go anywhere, as I predicted.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

minato posted:

Burnout can still happen even in a 9-5 job.

:words:

Nobody's saying it can't. Reining yourself back in to an 8 hour work day is a big step you can take to help yourself avoid it, though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

in_cahoots posted:

Every day for the past week I've gotten emails (cc-ed to my manager and a bunch of other people) between 10pm and 5am, asking me to look at something so they can continue their work. This includes Saturday and Sunday. I don't want to be the reason we fall behind, but I'm not sure how to push back.

You won't be the reason your group falls behind. It's either management's fault for not partitioning the work correctly, or the other team is lazy/incompetent and trying to dump all the responsibility onto you (this seems more likely if they're CCing your boss). What are they asking you to look at? Are you teaching them how to code, or is there confusion about which features are actually supposed to go in a project, or what?

How to push back: as Plorkyeran said, stop checking or answering your company email (or your phone if they start calling) when you're off. I am baffled as to why you would do this anyway - you're in development, not IT, there is nothing you need to be on-call for because you're not responsible for the real-time operation of your company's network.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Skandranon posted:

I have a hard time believing they truly have nothing else to do but wait on you.

Seriously, there have to be other features they can work on while they wait for your input on the ones that need it. Or their workflow is just seriously hosed, which again is a project management problem.

in_cahoots posted:

which is why I can't really push back to my boss, who set the deadline in the first place.

As has been discussed, the deadline is not your problem either. If your management has created a situation in which you are the bottleneck, it is their responsibility to plan around the fact that you are a single human being with a life and needs like sleep and food and free time and weekends.

You don't have to push back or discuss this with your boss. Just stop enabling their lovely behavior. gently caress the deadline, you need to sleep and you need two out of every seven days off. What the gently caress are they going to do, fire you? If you are REALLY the only person who can verify this poo poo, how hosed would they be if you had a goddamn nervous breakdown and quit because you literally cannot get a single night's sleep?

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 30, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Doublepost, but I wanted to add: if this is a thing that's only happening once, like you're in pre-release crunch mode, then maybe don't aggressively refuse to participate like I was advocating. It's still pretty silly that these programmers can't find SOMETHING to work on for one whole day without your input, and having crunch at all is STILL a problem with management, but if it's short-term (the definition of short-term is like two weeks maximum for me) and infrequent, I'd maybe just deal with it.

But if this happens continually, then gently caress. that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

What if the board has created a situation in which I am the bottleneck?

Then I guess the board should get comfortable with your timetable.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Ugh. I just discovered that the resume I've used to apply to a few jobs lately has the phrase "storing data in a the cloud" in it. :negative:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

seiken posted:

Just be glad it doesn't say "storing data in my butt."

Considering where some people pull data from, that might be more accurate and it's at least grammatically correct!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
It could be a security/secrecy thing and he's not actually allowed to spread the work around. Again if that's the case I say he has a healthy amount of leverage.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kitten smoothie posted:

I think if I were to work in an actual office, my optimal solution would be a semi-private office shared with one or two teammates. Enough social interaction and being able to whiteboard problems together, but at the same time we can go heads-down and ignore one another. Remote feels like the next best thing though.

If all the team members are developers, I'd call this probably my ideal situation (also, non-click keyboards and headphones required, for gently caress's sake).

My team at my last job was me and the DBA, sharing an office, and he served as the de facto helpdesk for several directors (because they were divas and could not be bothered to go through the official helpdesk like they were supposed to). As a result, his phone, which sat 10 feet from me with no cubicle walls to so much as take the edge off the sound, would ring every 15 minutes, ensuring my concentration would never solidify for any length of time.

It was a nightmare.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dessert Rose posted:

This seems like a really weird way to do things. So everyone is ranked against everyone else?

Usually performance reviews are based on your performance as measured against others with your title. Expanding it to the entirety of the company sounds super complicated and not very useful.

I dunno, if your junior dev is performing better than your senior dev, that might be worth looking at. Either senior dev is slacking and should be talked to, junior dev needs to be promoted before someone poaches him, or your method of evaluating developers is broken.

Though, now I think of it, you'd have to have both of those people essentially performing the same duties in order to compare them like that. Which again points more to a broken system than a problem with the devs.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 20, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

StateOwned posted:

The only explanation I can think of is that their home life is miserable and they would rather work than be around their spouse/children.

That's one explanation, another is that people think they're so vital that if they took any time off everything would melt down and the company would die (they're always wrong). Or, in a related fashion, they think they're the only one who can perform certain tasks and if they take time off, they'll just have twice the work to do to catch up.

Even if that last is true, my take on that situation is that I'm taking time off to relax and get away from work; the last thing I'm going to do after I get back is punish myself for taking a vacation by working twice as many hours and destroying any benefit to my stress level and mental health I may have acquired during the vacation. It's the management's responsibility to keep the company staffed in such a way that it won't collapse if one person takes a vacation or falls behind or there are otherwise circumstances that result in someone being unable to work for a period of time. I'm going to operate under the assumption that this is the case, and if it isn't that's not my problem.

As for unlimited vacation: I haven't ever worked in a place where that's the case, but I could imagine myself taking a lot of three-day weekends instead of a big chunk. I tend to prefer lots of little breaks, and just being able to call in whenever without having to worry about accrued time or whatever would be very nice.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 1, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

brosmike posted:

I'm evaluating an offer from a company that's included a non-dispargement clause in their employment agreement (to 1 year after termination). I've seen these as a condition of a severance package before, but never as part of signing on. Is this as big a red flag as I think it is?

I mean, it'd be dumb to publicly ridicule your employer whether you're under a non-disparagement clause or not, if you're in the U.S. and therefore under at-will employment in most states. As for it extending to one year after employment, that seems kind of pointless; if they have grounds to sue you for defamation, they'd do it with or without an agreement, and if they don't, the first amendment should protect you.

Some quick googling tells me that these clauses have been common boilerplate for a lot of companies, but also that the NLRB has been striking down non-disparagement clauses in recent years.

If nothing else, treat it like you would a non-compete you don't like; cross out the provision (personally I'd just cross out the part about the 1 year after termination - I'm going to be fired for badmouthing my employer in a public, identifiable way with or without that agreement), sign it, and return it, see what they say. You know, if you otherwise want to accept the offer.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kitten smoothie posted:

So my anecdotal evidence suggests nobody even looks at the dates, let alone cares about a few month gap.

Obviously that's not going to be the case for every company, but in any case it's best to just be honest about this kind of factual, verifiable information. Meaning you were employed from Jan 2012-Dec 2013, and March 2014-Present, or whatever. The two months in between those are completely irrelevant to your employment history beyond the fact that you weren't employed during that time, so they don't belong in employment history; if they ask about it you can tell them whatever you want.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cryolite posted:

If you're a software developer with a few years of experience and claim to be a lead developer at your current position, should you send a thank you e-mail after an interview?

I had an interview this past Friday at a company I think I'd actually like to work for. It's a strange feeling. I'm not sure if I should send a thank you note or not. It seems like such an outmoded concept, but I feel like I've forgotten how to actually try hard to get a job someplace so I have no idea if this is a good or idea or not.

If you really need to think about it this hard, think about this: Do you want to work for someone who gets offended by a thank-you email?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cicero posted:

Post a review on Glassdoor? If companies don't get compelling (read: punishing) feedback they tend to not change processes.

Though half the time "change processes" translates to "force-march your current employees into glassdoor to spam the site with obviously fake positive reviews."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Shrimpy posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've always been under the impression that the "Dev" portion of "DevOps" was developing the automation?

It's 'ops' for development, that is, processes and infrastructure meant to support software development.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

You're making this blanket statement and applying it to all developers and it's simply not true for all of us. I am working with people right now for whom it's not.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

sink posted:

I made a lot of statements while hand waving wildly. Which one are you speaking to?

Every subjective one, the ones that start with, "you will..."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

wilderthanmild posted:

I am looking to leave early to mid January at the earliest. Is it abnormal to apply to jobs now with that condition?
It wouldn't be abnormal even if the holidays weren't a factor - just specify your availability when it comes up.

quote:

Should I take recruiters seriously? I've usually ignored/avoided them, but I talked to one somewhat recently and felt good about the idea of it all, I know their job is to make me comfortable with that though. Is there anything in particular to be wary of?
Recruiters are just another path to employment. I tend to avoid cold calls, but some companies only hire through recruiters (I'm talking third party agencies here, not internal recruiters). There's no reason not to attempt to cultivate a relationship with a good recruiter/agency while you're looking. The biggest red flag for me is if I start getting interviews for jobs I have no interest in (no I'm not interested in a helpdesk opportunity, I've been developing .Net software for 5 years, go jump in a tar pit) - I have no interest in a recruiter that won't work with me.

quote:

I am pretty sure on this, but the best idea is to not inform my company I am looking, correct?
Correct.

quote:

Now a big one. :words:
The standard advice here is to apply stuff that you aren't qualified for on paper. Because job postings are big wish lists from the company, written by HR drones who talked with the leader of the dev department for 2 minutes at best (and at worst working from a list of all the technologies used at the company, however rarely). I don't care how strongly worded the job posting is. "ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED SKILLS" still only means that it'd be nice if you had that skill.

For you specifically, my advice would be to apply for jobs that look interesting and challenging (again, this means you shouldn't know a bunch of stuff on the job posting, and fewer years of experience than they list is also fine). When you interview, observe and ask questions about their development process. Try and get a feel for how you would fit into the team, including just asking what your role in the team would be. It's not science; you're going to have to use your best judgement to determine if a given environment is going to be what you want. But don't make that judgement too early - just apply.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

wilderthanmild posted:

Yea, as far as listed qualifications I was always under the impression that a lot of the positions were listed with exact qualifications of someone who previously held the position rather than actual hard requirements.

Heh, a lot of the time it isn't even that accurate. It's the IT manager meeting with the HR drone and listing literally everything that the business uses, no matter the proportion or how well-covered any particular technology is (e.g., they already have enough frontend people), and the HR drone translating that into a job description that doesn't really encompass what the business needs from a candidate right now, even if anybody on earth met every qualification and the business was willing to pay $texas for that person (which is never in both cases).

quote:

Ideally, I'd be looking for a job where the Microsoft/.Net stack is part of the core requirement, but would let me work outside that from time to time. For instance, at my current job I really enjoy when I get to work with Javascript/AngularJS for my front end work, just because it's different than the other stuff I normally work on.

How do you feel about the Pacific Northwest?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Munkeymon posted:

I see plenty of .Net backend+JS-framework-of-the-day positions around here, too, so it's not just within the Microsoft geographic influence sphere.

Yeah I wasn't trying to imply that that was the case - in fact I was referring to my current employer specifically.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm going to reiterate what folks have been saying to you since you started your career in software: slow down.

You have a good 30-40 years left in your career. You'll have time for self-improvement and long term career planning.

Just focus on your job now.

Jesus, this. You're feeling the same thing that all the fresh grads who come into the newbie thread do, which is "oh my god there's so much I don't know." They generally react by thinking, "I need to know all of this poo poo before I start applying to jobs or I won't be able to compete with the other fresh grads," and you're reacting by thinking, "I need to know all of this poo poo as early as possible or I won't be able to compete with the other people who have 2-5 years (or whatever) of experience." It's the same poo poo.

Listen. Your new job will have problems for you to solve. Some of them won't be easy. You will need to be creative and you will need to research things, and by doing so you will learn things and therefore develop yourself professionally. It won't feel like it from day to day because everything is incremental improvements, but there will be a significant difference between you now and you a year from now, in terms of your skills. This is what experience IS.

Settle into your job and try not to worry so much about it in the context of your entire life.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

wilderthanmild posted:

Now I gotta figure out how to convince my current boss that they should try to hire an actual IT guy to do the IT part of the job or they will just be going through the same thing a year from now when my replacement how bad that situation is.

"Hey boss, you should try to hire an actual IT guy to do the IT part of the job or you will just be going through the same thing a year from now. Well, so long!" Don't waste any more of your time than that worrying about it, it's not your problem anymore.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Xerophyte posted:

This morning I was offered to relocate to San Francisco -- alternative: find another job since my office is closing -- at pretty minimal notice. SF seems neat, but isn't quite my dear, dark, dreary Sweden (fun fact: San Francisco, apparently famous for poo poo weather, gets half the rainy days and twice the sunshine hours of my beloved hometown!). This really wasn't on my radar and now I've got 3ish weeks to decide whether or not to uproot my entire life. I'm tempted, I'm in a situation where uprooting isn't impossible, but I've never been relocated halfway across the globe before so I have no clue what to expect.

Any advice? Stuff the relocatees of the thread wish they'd known/done/checked beforehand? I'd be more specific but I really didn't see this coming and am still pretty shellshocked. I love my job, and the relocation is essentially to keep doing it, but I'd be changing virtually all of my coworkers, managers, etc and it's scary as hell.

Three weeks wouldn't be nearly enough time for me to make the decision to move to the other side of the planet. Not out of the blue like that. That's me.

I don't know what your salary is like over there but make sure you are very clear on the cost of living (housing in particular) in and around SF, and figure out what your commute would be like.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Hughlander posted:

My biggest problem with the teams I lead is that the engineers are both specialized and the unit of work is small enough that is really targeting individual disciplines.

"This team would like the UI text to have drop shadows". Well let's see is the DBA going to pick that up? The full stack first party API expert? The scripter that updates the test infrastructure? Or maybe the rendering guru? Ok guys self organize along team velocity!

How is this a problem?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

metztli posted:

I did take all of December off at my old job as a way to see if I could be not-burnt-out, and have had the last 2 weeks off + next 2 weeks before I start. But you raise a good point - maybe I should take a trip to Seattle or Portland or something on the West Coast since I also racked up a metric fuckton of frequent flier miles my last 7 months at the job.

I love the PNW but Portland and Seattle are not good vacation destinations at this time of year - it's gray and dreary as gently caress even if it isn't raining (it's always raining). Unless you have a specific reason to visit those cities, I would go somewhere warm (or somewhere colder if you like skiing I guess).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ithaqua posted:

The misconception I spend a lot of time fighting is that "CI" == "builds". CI is so much more than that and it's actually very difficult to do well.

Vulture Culture posted:

A lot of people got into this whole thing having never done any QA work before everything was focused on automated tools and green check marks, and we're still feeling this across the whole industry.

My company had a super painful manual build and deploy process. One of our guys created a very 1998-looking tool that automates a portion of that by letting us manually push a button and have it do some build, source control and bit-moving steps. Now my company has a slightly less super painful manual build and deploy process. Our manager (who, don't get me wrong, is a great guy whom I have very few complaints about) called this tool "an improvement to our continuous integration."

No, it's not. We don't have continuous integration or continuous anything. We have scripts and batch files that are all triggered manually and all together do not even cover 100% of our build or deployment processes. The tool is great; it takes a lot of pain out of the deployment process, and everyone who's ever done a deploy appreciates the improvement, but every time bossman says "continuous integration" I want to snarkily send him 40 links to articles and blogs about CI to teach him what it really means. I'm not going to, as I said he's pretty cool and is open to improvement, there are just a lot of obstacles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Space Whale posted:

Besides "I was starting my career in a kinda crappy place where this was the only way to get paid and that's why I came to this nice place," how do you explain why one wants to go from contracts to FTE? Or is it probably worth just getting some exchange obamacare and keeping up with contracts until you get old?

Has anybody ever asked you this question? People bounce between contract and permanent (I assume that's what you meant by FTE) positions all the time. Regardless, there are a bunch of reasons to prefer a permanent position, just pick one. Just a few off the top of my head:

"I'd rather not deal with the tax/benefit situation as a contractor."
"I want to settle down and commit to one place for a change."
"I've felt like an outsider as a contractor before and I'd prefer to be a real part of a team."

I really feel like you're over thinking this, contract vs. perm is really just a matter of personal preference and opportunity.