Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I feel like I am in a weird position. Which also feels like it could be the motto of my career up till now.

I left my old job in finance programming for a start-up for reasons I can elaborate on if needed, however this work is proving to be more annoying/frustrating than I gave it credit for. I also kinda feel like I was duped yet again by an optimistic interview process. I am not sure how I keep falling for this crap.

Now a company I applied to in the past for a Scala position, for which I was not qualified for really but just hoping, has a Front End Dev position open. The position would be working with two ppl I know in real life and seems like a great place to hang my hat and learn a lot, which is what I have been trying to do for the past 4 years but keep getting in these dumb situations. The space looks very cool and I am pretty excited at the opportunity to work in market research.

Anyway, I threw them my resume at the insistence of my friends and just went through the process without any expectations. I interviewed with 7 people and 6 of them have signed off on me. The problem is that the one who 'has reservations' is the CTO. I have a phone call with him tomorrow to attempt to 'alleviate his concerns' about me. His main one seems to be that I haven't been at on job for more than a year and a half since I got out of college. I explained the reasons for each move but apparently I used words I shouldn't have like "work/life balance" and "being poorly managed".

It is frustrating because I feel like this whole phone call is to see if I can say the same things I said before but without using the 'wrong words' so the CTO will stop halting the process. Has anyone else had any experiences like this? Do they know the magic words to say?

All I really want is a place where I can program, become a better programmer, and be around people who are excited about programming. Which this place has.

Full Disclosure: The startup I work for is in Texas. It is my first time working for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

These sound pretty bland. If the CTO is looking for something to change their mind, they may not be enough. But that's not to say they might not work. I don't know who the CTO is, and those are standard lines that may work.

I've been in a similar situation and going in deep and being earnest *can* work, though it's certainly risky.

Saying too much is worse than saying too little, and you really need to come off as authentically wanting to be in it for the long term, and be as honest as you can be without stooping to trash-talking. I've gotten away with it because I can usually get a good enough read on my interviewer to know how far to go.

I tend to ramble and so saying too little sounds like good advice to me. Thanks.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

I had my phone call and they decided to pass on me. The CTO at this new place was super type A. I have a feeling if they made me an offer I would have a lot of trouble trusting a leader who focuses more on what he wants without even considering his team's input.

For now I am going to ride out startup land and hope I don't get burned too bad. I am sure I will learn a lot.

Thanks for the advice.