Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
My job history started at around 29 years old. Had a few MIS degree very 'loosely related odd jobs (3 months flashing tablets for a prison, 3 months working at an emergency medical ambulance company doing insurance stuff and sorting mail), and the last three jobs are 1 year as a contractor for a bank doing non technical stuff, 6 months at a bank doing non technical stuff, and from 2022 to today, working at a bank doing dot net programming and rpa stuff. My resume of course only shows these last 2 jobs + my current present one. How do I transition this job to a higher paying one? I'm trying to get a software developer job but not having a degree in computer science, plus more then 2 years of actually professional experience, makes it hard to do ,even when I lie on my resume and say I did technical stuff at my previous two jobs similar to the stuff I'm actually doing currently., im still not getting many callbacks for roles in software or tech. I'm 33 now and want to increase my salary .

My actual day to day job is very basic, boring RPA stuff that anyone can do (and thats my job title, automations developer), basic calculator type wpf/winforms applications (so not even asp.net stuff, just very old technology applications where I get free reign to just build and deliver), and power automate/power bi/power app building.

I don't have any experience reading other peoples code, looking at codebases, I couldnt contribute to any github projects even if I tried, all of my knowledge is completely self taught and there is no senior anyone to really help me. My manager doesnt have a CS degree either. I think very few around me do, and im not really working in tech as it is. I'm a 'citizen developer' for rpa. I just get assigned odd jobs and try to deliver a solution with the tool I'm least bored of for that day. Im completely on my own, unsupervised, and un classically trained in coding,I just made the transition slowly from low-code (powerapps/rpa) to code (dot net) and now im here not sure how to take it to the next step, or what that step should be.

I've thought of sharepoint developer, but wasnt able to crack the interview process due to my lack of years in dotnet and it showed. They talked about something about running farms for sharepoint, server farms, and i have no idea what that means. I guess it means hosting the actually sharepoints that the companies use? That'd be interesting but sounds more like devops.

Where can I take it from here?

kneelbeforezog fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU