Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The March Hare posted:

Stop reading HN ;)
Read n-gate instead :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

RSS is dope.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

two jobs ago i had north of 250k total comp
What did you do? Are you making that kind of money now?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

150k cash and the equity ended up bein 110k

currentjob is 170k cash and who the f knows what currentjobs equity is worth now. series b so its prolly not nothing anymore

i guess i did go to plutocrat school so thats a thing
Thanks for the breakdown. What's your job?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

normal dev

"software engineer" lol

Hah. Do you work on embedded, web stuff, or something else?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

kitten smoothie posted:

I did not need to grind leetcode for this or the previous job.

Managers and team leads don't need to grind leetcode. Everyone below though...

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Guinness posted:

I'm not working crazy hours or anything, company culture is mostly good/fine, just blahhhh.

If I was in your position, I'd do the bare minimum and just... do other stuff: hang out on IRC, read, lurk forums, play games. This is assuming you're not crazy busy all the time and you have plenty of down time.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

RC Cola posted:

leads me to believe I am probably being underpaid.
You are absolutely underpaid.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Guinness posted:

I wouldn't say that I'm phoning it in, but I'm not busting rear end. Ironically, my perf reviews so far have all been very positive just not promo worthy. After this year+ of covid crap though it's just real hard to focus and care about work, ya know? Feels like the only thing that's been going on for so long, but fortunately hot vax summer is finally here.

I understand. This sounds like a job that'll give you a comfortable cushion until you find something that pays just as well and will challenge you. Luckily, your current gig doesn't like it'll make you suicidal.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Are you both making that serious coin in SF?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

RC Cola posted:

Ok. So realistically what should a dev in Denver make? My of my experience at my current company is C#/dot net, a bit of Blazor, and some typescript. And I guess DB stuff on azure. I've been a dev for less than a month, but the automation QA stuff I was doing was stuff like setting up my teams CI pipeline to run my automation code on checkins and such.

At least $90K

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Is the leetcode-grinding interview truly the only obstacle for getting that foot into the door at FAANG? Once you're in, do you have to worry about doing it again for future jobs?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Thanks, Ahmed Jones and Asur, for the detailed insight.

Here's a situation one of my friends is undergoing:

He's been at a job for the past five years. He has a niche. His total compensation is $100K. That's after starting five years ago at $35K. He's bored with work and would like to get out. He recently found a promising new job, doing nearly the same thing he's doing now, possibly for more money. He's gone through two rounds of interviews and is likely getting an offer. He hasn't given them a number yet and is waiting for the company throw one out first. He's hoping to get $115K minimum but has seen Glassdoor and other salary reviews putting the salary for this job way lower – we're talking $80K-$90K. The recruiter has assured him the pay, still unknown, is "competitive," which is always bullshit, in my opinion.

I've told him to let the company make the offer first, and if it's too low, to say that he's looking for $120K, and negotiate from there. He's worried the company will pass him off because he's "too expensive," but I told that won't be the case. The company can afford him. They're just trying to bring him on as cheaply ad possible.

Curious to see what others think.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

fourwood posted:

I mean it might be true that they aren’t willing to go to 115, but if that’s the case then he needs to get more comfortable with the phrase “it sounds like we’re too far apart to make this work, best of luck with your search”.
Thanks. I told him to keep his expectation low with his search.

Volguus posted:

Don't forget to not fall for : we're offering you 115K, with a salary of 90k and 25k in bonus each year.
Absolutely.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Sab669 posted:

No negotiation, no nothing. They told me they'd get back to me by Monday after my interview the week before. EOD Monday I emailed them asking if they decided and at midnight the guy sent me that.
That sucks, but that just shows they're cheap.

asur posted:

To apply this to your friend Armauk, I'd ask for at least 120k since they're going to counter that and that would get him around 115k. Even if they start at 115k+, I'd recommend asking for 10% more as worst case they say no.
Good idea. Aim high and get to where the employer thinks they won the negotiation, but you're at the price you wanted.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

rt4 posted:

Jesus, why am I sitting here making $95k with 13 years of experience :psyduck:
Time for a new job.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Can someone explain figgieland?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Pollyanna posted:

Means being qualified for and hired into high paying jobs upwards of, I dunno, my guess is $165,000 base.

Shruggoth posted:

San Francisco bay area is where you can get the highest salaries in the industry right now, or figgies, so SFBA = figgieland. Some people might include places like New York, Seattle, or Austin that have FAANG offices, but it depends on the context.

Thank you, both!

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm curious how many folks in this thread have children or other dependents?

Zero. And I'm grateful every day for it.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

oliveoil posted:

I heard some crazy things from twitter people months ago that crypto companies were paying more than big tech because they could basically print their own tokens, and $500k+ compensation packages for ex-fang types were implied to be not unusual, but I never asked more and can't find who said it.
That sounds volatile as hell. I have a natural suspicion that, in the time leading up to a major crypto crash, those company founders will jump ship and make off with a ton of cash.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Well, negotiating works...

195k, 35% equity. Health insurance is 0 out of pocket with no deductible.

I'm getting the impression that I'd be extremely stupid to not take this.

What's the job? Where are you located? This is an outstanding offer.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Pollyanna posted:

Only a couple days left before the Google interview. Spent all my time on brushing up on DSA and grinding Leetcode. Apartment in shambles, fridge empty, cat annoyed. Feels like I'm back in college :negative:

Anyway, I think I hit my limit. It's both a lot of stuff that I'm unlikely to excel at and also very short notice. Apparently the acceptance rate is like 0.2%, so I'm really just going the distance at this point.

At least you do this one interview, and if you get the job, then you're set career-wise and financially for life!

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

borkencode posted:

So, I've been doing PHP dev most of my career (13 years), and kind of want to switch to a nicer language (and apparently make way more money). How much of an albatross around my neck is that? I've done some stuff in other languages (python/go) but nothing that's a big project.

It sounds like you did back-end work. You can't go wrong with JavaScript, Go, or Python.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

sim posted:

This time I optimized for connecting with recruiters and I got initial interviews with 32 different companies without a single application. All but a few were scheduled within days of the initial contact.

Can you go into more details about this? Most of the recruiters I've contacted often tell me to submit an application on the website anyway.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

sim posted:

Yeah I had a couple that asked for that, but by and large I just gave my resume to the recruiter and they handled the rest. I followed this guy's advice: https://egghead.io/talks/egghead-how-social-media-can-land-you-your-dream-job. Note that I do have 12 years of experience with frontend dev, so your mileage may vary depending on how hot the market is for your particular skillset.

My LinkedIn was already detailed and up to date and I already had over 500 connections. However updating my photo, header image, title, and then turning on "looking for work" just opened the floodgates. I can't remember if it was in that video, but I heard that responding quickly to every message also helps boost your profile in LinkedIn searches, so I made sure to do that, even if I was just declining them.

If it was an external recruiter and I hadn't heard of the company, I responded with my list of criteria: remote-forever, $xxx base salary, 401K, etc. That filtered out a lot of bad jobs/recruiters. It really started to snowball once I started interviewing. I was able to be more strict about filtering and for anything I was interested in, I let the recruiter know that I was already interviewing with multiple companies and looking to make a decision within the next two weeks. That sped up the process and I was able to get interviews booked immediately.

So it seems LinkedIn does most of the work here.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

oliveoil posted:

I told them I wanted $350k/yr and they didn't bat an eye
That is stupid money.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

iloverice posted:

I have a $50/month professional development budget and don't really know what to spend it on. My manager was pretty clear that as long as it is for personal growth (even for areas outside of work), he'll approve it. Any suggestions on what to use it on? I'm drawing a blank other than books?

Conferences?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

lifg posted:

Do you all consider any big tech companies more immoral to work for than others? I've been ducking a Facebook recruiter for a little while, but I'm not truly sure there's a huge moral difference, or if I just like don't like their products.
They pay very, very, very well. For many people, that's all it takes.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm inevitably "the tank guy"

What does this mean?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

chglcu posted:

the companies that do them were already pretty terrible.
The pandemic has been a boon for those companies. Not only can they justify their slow response, but they're swimming in money as more people quit and find new jobs than ever before.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

BRICKFACE posted:

I didn't and they remote bricked it and now I have a doorstop. check.

How "bricked" is it? Can you replace the hard drive?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Good Will Hrunting posted:

It would be sick if grinding LeetCode again wasn't the only way to clear three hundo stacks with ease, anyone wanna tell me how to do that lol

If this is your first job, you only need to ace that one interview. Then, it's easy street.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

downout posted:

C++ webdev sounds so gross.

That's why we have Rust and WebAssembly.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

It was fun while it lasted.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol didn't they only say a few months ago they wouldn't force people back?

yes but need office culture to make sure people are operating at maximum efficiency to hit quarterly profit goals after recent layoffs and "economic downturn."

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Vulture Culture posted:

I ended up having to talk to the manager to help him figure out how to talk the guy down
Why was talking the guy down your responsibility?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

leper khan posted:

It's 2024 and I still wish we were using IRC and BBS
People are still using IRC. It will outlive us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Pollyanna posted:

From what I’ve heard of Netflix, it’s not healthy to work for. I’d treat it like boot camp, expect to get 3~6 months out of it or something.

What have you heard?