Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

baquerd posted:

I've got an interesting opportunity coming up. Right now as a team lead, I code a fair amount of the time, do some whiteboard architecture for projects in the scope of a month or two development or less (usually ~2 weeks effort from the team), handle line managerial responsibilities for my group of developers, and liaise with product owners and architects.

The opportunity is to move into a full-time architect role (within the same organization), where I will no longer have direct reports and I will no longer do any direct implementation, but I will develop architectural diagrams and documents and then support projects in the 6 month+ time period. I will be responsible for coordinating between product owners and team leads and will have a longer term viewpoint. It's not really clear to me how much money there is in it, but I should be able to get 10-20k fairly easily I'd think. My main concern is that I'm no longer coding, but I'm just creating documentation and diagrams and I'm worried it will be annoying and disappointing, despite the increased responsibilities and prestige.

Have any of you made this switch, and what do you think about it?

It depends on who you report to and who reports to the same structure. It's worthwhile when your boss or bosses boss holds the purse strings on projects. Project managers generally aren't fans of architects and if you don't have any control yourself or related influence, you're going to be frustrated.

It's only 6 months so whatever though, its different if you're thinking of a permanent move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU