Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I’m about to get an offer for a job that was originally supposed to be a senior position. They couldn’t find a suitable senior candidate and I was referred by a friend (I’m solidly mid level) but I’ve never worked with any of their stack. I’ve impressed them enough with my ability/drive to learn at this point to get to the final interview (mostly a formality it looks like). The bottom of the salary range they list in the application for this position would be a 30% salary increase for me. Do I actually have any room to negotiate in this situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

fourwood posted:

Do you desperately need this job? If no, then yes absolutely you’re in a good negotiating position. They want to hire you, so it’s in their interest to not let you walk out the door right now.

I do not desperately need it, but a 30% salary bump would make life / student loans / etc much more comfortable. I’ll at least try to negotiate another 10k salary.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I have an offer for a job that sounds like a boring dead end to me but it’s 30% more than my current job. Current job that I am semi happy with based on work life balance but pays terribly won’t even come close to matching the offer. Just posting here because this is the worst first world problem.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this differs a fair bit whether its 50k -> 65k vs 300k -> 400k tho

This is 100->130. My current employer MIGHT be able to get me to 115 with “the promise of a promotion this year” which would be another 8% bump. They claim I would be the highest paid engineer at my level in that case but I can plainly see job listings at my level where the salary range goes to the low 120s. told them if they can get to low 120s I would probably stay since the total comp would essentially line up but now I’m talking myself into leaving and just continuing the job search while I make 30% more. I could probably squeeze a few more thousand out of it too since silence got me from 125 to 130.

rally fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 18, 2022

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Any opinions here on over employment? Haven’t seen it really talked about. I’m just curious, certainly not something I’m ready to consider.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

redleader posted:

i've heard of teams using t-shirt sizes for tickets (so you got your small/medium/large/xl) to avoid this. i don't know how they turn "ah, we have these sized tickets" into "this is how much work we will bring in this sprint"

bully enough of your team mates. easy.

Everything is just extra medium then ( my team stopped doing estimates because they are stupid ).

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
The SDETs where I work end up leaving for amazing platform engineer jobs and the ones who started their career at the same time as me (went to school with a few people who interned / started at the same place ) are all making 50% more than I am in platform roles now. Could go either way I guess.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have to point out here that they aren't pulling that in while remaining as SDETs.

True, it just exposed them to building automation and deployment systems and gave them marketable experience over “maintains an old lovely Apache module written in C” which is where I’m regrettably at.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
We’re moving toward writing all new components in rust and learning Haskell has been fun in the context of learning how to rust better.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

leper khan posted:

It's 2024 and I still wish we were using IRC and BBS

I had to ask a question in the Apache IRC some time last year regarding some esoteric poo poo from a super old version. The jobs are out there.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
We should be using hotline client for work chat. Can easily share files etc and zero cruft.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
In our code challenge we expect the person to timebox themselves strictly and would rather see a solution that half works than a solution someone spent 5 hours polishing. It probably varies.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Lockback posted:

As an interviewer I actually really like the "Do you like working here?" question. It's a good one because I think people who would honestly answer "yes" will like to hear it.

Same. I work at a huge fortune 50 company with a pretty bad reputation on the customer side and whenever I tell someone where I work they groan a little. However I love my job, I love the stuff I get to work on, and I love my co workers, team, boss, etc. I really like getting the chance to “sell” all of that stuff to candidates.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I work in the media steaming space and I am pretty confident there’s a bunch of work been going on at Netflix around the delivery of live stream events etc but who knows.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Yea I got rejected at a place after 6 rounds of interviewing when the CEO called me at 8 pm on a Friday to ask me trivia questions about tech that wasn’t on my resume. Bullet dodged lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
“I’ve already seen this exact same problem before, do you want me to tell you the answer or pick a new problem?”