Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Chill Callahan posted:

Everytime I get thoughts like that I realize that I will most likely hate any other job as much or most likely more than I do now.

This, exactly. As much as I might dislike my job sometimes, I can't think of anything else that I'd like any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I've been a professional developer for 12 years. I was in the midst of trying to move overseas when COVID happened - borders were shut down right before I was going to leave and I got stuck staying at my mom's house. I had already gotten rid of *all* my stuff, and I had no job, so I didn't have anything to fall back on. I waited for a while to see how things would go, but since it's clearly not getting better anytime soon, I'm now looking for a job here in the US.

... And it sucks. 90% of places don't respond at all, half the ones that do respond just disappear after a while, and the rest always seem to find some reason why I'm not a good fit for them. I got the closest with Amazon - they decided not to hire me after the final interviews, but didn't give me any specifics as to why.

My skills aren't the broadest - the company I worked for was *just* starting to touch the cloud when I left, and they didn't operate on massive scale. Even if I've messed around with some of that stuff on my own, it's hard to tell someone I feel comfortable using any of it professionally.

I feel stuck. I feel like I'm just not going to find a job. Do I just keep spamming applications to any place that looks halfway like a good fit, hoping for the best?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what do your ratios of send resume out, get response, phone, onsite look like? what's the bottleneck?

I haven't kept track of how many jobs I've applied for. I feel like it's a lot - maybe others would say it's not? I've never gone through this process before at all, so I'm kind of lost.

Besides an automated response, I've probably gotten responses of any kind from less than 10%. I've had 2 phone screens which both went well, 2 coding exercises, one of which went well, and one 'onsite' (virtually, because everything is remote right now).

I've been contacted by a couple recruiters for jobs that seemed promising, only to be ghosted after being told we'd talk again after the weekend or whatever. Recently, I keep getting contacted by recruiters for jobs that clearly don't fit my history or skills.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Now's a bad time be looking for a job. Keep sending those resumes out and something will turn up eventually. How flexible are you about location?

Somewhat flexible about location, but I won't just go anywhere. I have several cities on my list, and would be willing to go to several others. Pretty much any city where I could live without a car, that's also not on the east coast would be acceptable.

ultrafilter posted:

It's also important to keep track of your applications so that if you end up working with a third party recruiter they can avoid sending your resume anywhere you've already applied. That can cause problems for them and waste your time as well.

The value of third party recruiters is questionable, but if you don't have a job and need one, you probably shouldn't rule them out ahead of time.

I've tried looking into 3rd party recruiters, without success. I've been ignored by the few I've tried to contact.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

vonnegutt posted:

Are you targeting your resume and cover letters to the companies you're applying for or just using online forms for everything?

I was doing more targeting at first, but I was still getting a horrible rate of response, so I've resorted to a shotgun approach which seems to do about the same. I've abandoned the cover letter, as it mostly seems useless.

I currently have about 50 automated response emails in my box for applications I've sent in from the past couple weeks. Not every application generates one of those. I've gotten 5 real responses from those (either a phone call or a flat rejection), and a couple more "we want some more information so fill out this form/profile and we'll get back to you" sort of things (they haven't).

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Guinness posted:

Of all the dumb interview ideas I've seen, this has got to be one of the dumbest.

Like on a certain level I understand what he's saying, but big fuckin LOL at the idea of putting someone who has never played Factorio in that situation in an interview. Just lol.

It does say this at the end:

quote:

Factorio is probably the best technical interview we have right now, and that's embarassing. It is also wildly impractical, taking over 20 hours in an initial multiplayer playthrough, or 8 hours if you have a lot of people and know what you're doing. What's the takeaway from this? I don't know. We certainly can't switch to using Factorio as an interviewing method - you might as well just give a candidate a take-home assignment.

So it's not actually advocating for this.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

minato posted:

It's also a terrible idea because it introduces bias. Wasn't there some study from a while back where resumes were rated more harshly if the name at the top was female-gendered vs male, with no other changes? Imagine what it'll look like if the resume also now obviously includes the candidate's sex, race, accent, attractiveness, nervous tics, haircut, and speaking style.

I was looking for jobs overseas a while back, and some of them asked for a video like that. My friend who lives there said it was basically how they determine you're a white dude.

So yeah, it's definitely a thing, and it's terrible.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I just got an Amazon recruiter email pitching a job in ... Bangalore! :dogstare:

(I'm in the US)

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

I was rejected from a manager position once because they wanted experience with "modern languages". Apparently I ticked all their soft skills boxes, but the taint of Java on me was too strong.

I got rejected from a senior dev position recently because I didn't have a ton of Hibernate experience, even though I've been a Java dev for ~15 years and I've used several different ORM/database frameworks extensively.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

oliveoil posted:

Always amazed by how people perceive things differently.

Been doing some more interesting, more vague, larger-scoped work.

My mental health has been bad. I haven't felt like a functional thinker for a while. As a result, I feel like I've been doing some of the worst performance of my career.

My manager keeps praising my work in 1:1s, though. Yesterday he actually said most people here wouldn't be able to take on the work I have and run with it the way I have. I was shocked. Every day I'm paranoid they're going to realize I barely feel functional half the time and then I hear this stuff and I'm baffled.

Most programmers are very bad and can barely get anything done without serious hand-holding.

It's amazing any software works at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

One of the reasons I'm looking (on top of this bullshit) is because we are such a slow moving company bogged down by bullshit that it almost feels impossible to learn anything. I've written so much code that had taken agonizingly long to roll out.

<bunch more stuff>

Dang, this sounds almost exactly like my current place. :negative: