Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

leper khan posted:

always be interviewing
I ignored my own advice on this for a couple years and boy do I regret it. If nothing else, it's good to know what your parachute options are so you can just do the right thing at work, and not worry about how pressing the wrong issue with the wrong person might blow back on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The market changes from under you, in ways you'd never pick up if you're not pressure-testing your story. For a lot of years my story was "I've done a lot of tech jobs and I'm good at most of them, so my bosses always point me at their biggest problem. I honestly do not care if that's staff engineering, managing a struggling team, or building something important that's missing, as long as I'm doing it at a good company", and that absolutely does not resonate with hiring managers anymore

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

...what the hell are they looking for instead? Typing code real fast?
We're in the era of non-backfills in basically every large tech org. Hiring generalists makes it very hard to justify why you needed that headcount left open

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

thotsky posted:

Auto-generated documentation rarely, if ever, document the non-obvious stuff. It's useful only in the "we're required to document stuff and this saves us time" sense.
Auto-generated docs usually document non-obvious stuff fine in the essential complexity lane and poorly in the incidental complexity lane. This is actually the exact forcing function you want; if your docs are insufficient, it's because your code modeling of your domain is bad and you need to fix it

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I think y'all got the gist of what I was saying, but I want to add this: sometimes your code can feel poorly-documented if it's really your domain that's poorly-understood (with poor documentation being one common reason that happens). As an example: if you've never worked on SSO and you're suddenly thrown into the middle of trying to diagnose a problem in an OAuth 2.0 flow, you will get very frustrated by a complete lack of comments. If you've written a basic IdP before, you'll probably follow the flow of anyone else's implementation pretty easily, comments or not, because you know what to expect even if you don't find exactly that.

It's really crucial for the domain to have great documentation, and then code comments become largely hygienic: the code should map in obvious ways to the parts of the domain you've documented. (Like all outliers, document the poo poo out of the parts that don't.)

Incidentally: if you try this and find you don't have a domain complex enough to be worth documenting, don't write the loving microservice.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 22, 2024

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bojack Srcmain posted:

For my team, complexity comes from operating at varying degrees within our IdP. Pre-auth, during-auth, and post-auth are all things we build features around. We have tons of data points that we fetch in a request flow based on network info, a policy configuration, the IP address, user's behavior, tons of things. Thus the complexity comes in a few pieces: how do we feed these points into a system and decision on them, where do we allow varying degrees of configuration based on what clients what, and at what point/in what factors, contexts, etc do we support enforcement?
Yeah, taking data that you're fed and enriching it on the fly is pretty much never coherent (Do you favor fast, stale data or slower, more accurate data? Trick question—it's going to be wrong anyway), and customer-configurable policy engines are hard enough before you layer in 10 kinds of dynamism

In this case, the leaky domain abstractions are that a) a source of truth doesn't really exist, and b) many capabilities/properties attached to the request context are ambient rather than explicit

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 23, 2024

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bojack Srcmain posted:

What's a solid number of engineers to have under you as a TL whose focus is primarily writing tech designs, reviewing product docs, planning rollouts, and doing code reviews? At 5 I'm feeling a little bit spread thin as there's a near constant barrage of incoming support tickets and questions as well.
As a complementary perspective to the good advice you've been given: you need to figure out how to prioritize the TL work and make the line engineer work your line engineers' problem, because if you end up deprioritizing your actual job to do someone else's, it will look to your leadership like that's the role you're more comfortable with and would rather be doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Last year, I moved into a role where I was expected not to really build anything, and lead only by influence. Once I took a step back from the work I was doing on my previous team, and I looked at who my stakeholders were, I realized that for all the things I wanted to do, I needed the same people. Collaborative work is a thread synchronization problem, and if you start multitasking, and everyone starts multitasking, sooner or later you're context switching your coworkers off of your own #1 priority and onto your #2 or #3 priority. You will get better results by slowing down.