Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

I'm utterly compromised and biased, but I think the next hot area after mobile is wearables. Even those require a mobile dev at some point in the process, blinking lights are great but having a high-def screen and internet connection a BLE (sorry, "Bluetooth Smart") connection away is awesome.

I'm told there were a shitload of wearable computing companies at CES this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Space Whale posted:

Note: This is just a pit stop anyway. Unless I'm given a huge raise and the authority to really fix poo poo, and meet the love of my life, I'm moving to a big tech market by the fall, so this is just to learn the hard way if this is worth trying to fix.

Fall's not too far away, just roll with the punches and start getting some bullet points for your resume, and maybe learn how to nap standing up.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

aBagorn posted:

Has anyone ever done any of the HackerRank stuff as part of the interview process (on either side of the process)? If so, what are your thoughts.

Personally I hate this kind of thing. I'd much rather whiteboard something or do something while I'm there but he seemed adamant about the process. I didn't want to press too hard because the role sounds really great, as they basically gutted the entire company 8-12 months ago except for support for the existing app and my role would include building a whole new team to start development on the next generation of said application (a complete rebuild from scratch).

Late in my term at lastjob we were transitioning to using HackerRank (or something similar) as an initial screen, and I thought it was just terrible, both as an idea and as a product (we had to come up with our own questions and own matched input/output and I don't remember it ever really working right, one colleague had a question involving floats and you can imagine the disasters there).

(I think that company also purged a lot of development people about 8-12 months ago, they're not a business analytic outfit in SOMA by any chance are they)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

genki posted:

There are many areas of Twitter in the technical back end that could and probably do involve graph problems and pathfinding.

At one point twitter employed the guy who wrote graphchi (https://github.com/GraphChi/graphchi-cpp) and any company that's in anything like a social network business is gonna be doing a ton of graph analytics.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

sarehu posted:

Also if you want real-world data, you can record it and play it back in the tests.

One of the things I've been pushing for at currentjob is to get our db of real-world data fleshed out so that we can run it thru our tests, and I think we're just about to the point where we'll be able to get jenkins to run our tests on real data. (I've also been pushing for us to hire somebody to manage all this infrastructure, but: w/ever)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Blotto Skorzany posted:

wouldn't have been a lot easier to test with this than with the ghetto harness thingy I wound up writing to run the tests and dump the report in a spreadsheet.

Gtest is c++, but if you can get it linking to your c code it works just fine for testing that as well.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

That is actually more or less what I was asking for :shobon: But also a kind of tip on where to look for learning how to work with graphs and make algorithms from them, and how big data uses them, and what big data is concerned with anyway.

Coursera had a vide on social network analysis a couple years ago, and the talks are online at github: https://github.com/ladamalina/coursera-sna

Also there's an "algorithms 2" coming up https://www.coursera.org/course/algs4partII that has a lot of graph stuff.

Where 'big data' comes into this is when you have millions (billions) of nodes and ten or more times that number of edges, and you have to fit all those things into memory / on disk and do things to it quickly.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I've found a really good oracle for knowing whether or not a development tool is going to be a piece of crap is "did google make this?" If the answer is yes, then don't use it in your project for the love of god.

Gtest is pretty good.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

Depends on how bad traffic typically is in the area. Renting cars sucks, it's an unfamiliar vehicle and they usually run like poo poo. I rent cars for work when traveling, or when traveling locally to a location that's over a certain distance threshold (past 80 round-trip miles or so, it's actually cheaper for the company and doesn't incur wear and tear on my personal vehicles) and I always hate it.

It depends a lot on who you rent them from and where you rent them at, I've gotten dozens of rental cars and only a couple have been unforgivably bad (one had something messed up with the alignment, one was reeking with cleaning fluid (got that one replaced), and one was a dodge caliber).

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

A pretty good rule of thumb is that anything on your resume is fair game for interviewers to ask about, so don't put things on there that you wouldn't want to have talk about on a whiteboard.

I absolutely will ask a candidate about anything on their resume that looks interesting.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

If you haven't had a rock solid technical candidate go off the rails when you get to behavioral questions, you're really missing out.

:allears:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

There are plenty of other industries that pay people for what's in their head rather than how they move their muscle. Software is the only one I've ever seen that coddles its employees to such a degree. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the perks, but I've noticed that there's a soft of a cult of the man-boy that's pervasive that I really detest.

I would absolutely agree that over-sharing, over-sensitive, emotionally stunted man-boys and their whining gives programmers a bad social reputation.

Personally I would have considered "treating people with respect" and "don't be hostile" to be markers of "being an adult".

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Also I guess this is relevant: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2010/08/tiger-oil-memos.html and I'll just highlight this:

to emphasize the "what's in their heads" aspect.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

As a programmer not working at the big guys:
Why aren't more people outraged at the wages of average companies? Those bonuses and stock options are insane for regular jobs. Googlers are reliably making 2x-3x our total comps while reaping untold networking & career benefits. I'm sure they're great at Compsci 101 exam questions and all but it's infuriating to know that the "market" values their work leaps and bounds above mine. Is there any rational response other than devoting huge amounts of my free time to studying Cracking the Coding Interview and breaking into the anointed-programmer club?

You could try organizing some labor.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

This is pretty ridiculous.

Prometheus was a renegade titan and he ended up getting his liver disrupted.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

taqueso posted:

Now I am dealing with HR stuff that is rubbing me the wrong way. Should I judge the company based on HR?

Depends on the stuff.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It took well over a decade before Amazon was profitable.

Wasn't that because they were funneling all revenue back into company growth?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

If you spent a few hours doing a take home assignment, how would you feel if the person who reviewed it had spent maybe a cumulative 5 hours (writing incredibly simple automation scripts)

So I'm not sure about this. For example, I've never programmed a single line of go, but I expect that if I were reviewing a candidate's go code I'd be able to categorize it into 'yeah this looks ok' or 'oh why would you do that'. (And there was a time once where I had never written any java but I was interviewing candidates who decided to solve a coding exercise with it, and it was: fine) (this obviously is not going to apply if they choose to work in something a little more off the wall, but that would be a reason for me putting in a couple hours effort getting the basic idea)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

An official from the MBTA (Boston transportation department) reached out to me asking if I wanted to work in Elixir and React with them. I gotta say the offer sounds tempting on its face, but this is a government job, and I haven't heard great things about government jobs...How much of a hassle are they to work for? Recommend or not recommend?

I think given what you've said about your preferences and working style, it might be a good fit.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

You're going to have to clarify and justify this better because this is exactly the kind of red flag that will turn a 'strong hire' into a 'no hire' in my eyes.

Seems like a perfectly reasonable opinion to me.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

When I give a coding question I always give the same one and it's pretty easy and I always feel really bad when senior candidates can't solve it. (It's ultimately "do you know how the string api in the language of your choice works, and can you pick one of several data structures to solve it with)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

like "HAHA it's actually leftTrim not trimLeft!" or what?

No, more along the lines of "do you remember how to get a substring", and if they don't I tell them to just make up something close.

Pollyanna posted:

:confused: I always expect interview questions to bar me from using core library functions like String manipulation and what not, and that they'd make me do it old-style to prove I know how to index into an array and make a linked list or whatever. Sometimes it's hard to tell which interview questions are testing your domain knowledge and which ones are just CtCI cargo culting.

What I like to do when I'm interviewing a candidate is grill them about stuff they have on their resume and ask them to explain things to me, and then for the coding portion I like giving easy questions. That's because I figure that if someone can't solve an easy question they wouldn't be able to solve a hard one anyway, but if they do manage to solve the easy question and don't do so in a horrible manner they're probably ok.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Comments are pretty bad, and you should strive to not need them.

Document functions, interfaces, packages, objects, stuff like that (especially if your language generates docs out of these). Documenting lines or even blocks is almost always bad.

I think if you're in this kind of situation it's an indication that it's time to start working on harder problems.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

You can't plan for the future except in very general terms. My plan when I was in my early 20s in no way resembles the reality of my mid-30s. I'm not even close to the same person I was back then, and the things I value and desire have drastically changed. Hell, my life drastically changed in the past 12 months in several totally unplanned ways.

When I was interviewing for currentjob, one of the interviewers asked me where I thought my career was going to go over the next five years, and I had to tell him that I had no idea because every single prediction I have ever made about my career has turned out to be invalidated by non-career events and I'm not even going to try guessing anymore.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sounds like a great opportunity for you to learn a new language.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Careful Drums posted:

Also why do you need to quit your job to get a dog?

Why would you leave a puppy alone all day?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Mniot posted:

I'd say a PhD applying for a job where it's not a requirement is a mild negative signal. They've spent at least 9 years of school to be allowed to do top research and now they want to work as some poo poo-tier coder? Either their degree isn't actually worth a PhD or they've suffered from some burn-out.

My phd is in math, not cs, and I can assure you there was nothing 'top' about my research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

I must refrain from printing out How comments and leaving it in the break room at work

I don't see why?