Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ugh, hostility in code reviews is the worst. I hated it when I would comment on a pull request and the developer either took it personally or just appeared to. Or when I asked for clarification on why something was done a certain way and the developer explained why, right before changing the code to something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mniot posted:

Huh? Was this as dickish as I'm imagining it?

It probably would have been fine if the same pull request didn't already have him taking stuff too personally. As it was, it came off as, "Fine, ugh, I'll change it!" when I really was just asking what the code meant. Made me start to worry he'd start taking every pull request comment as me trying to bully him into changing stuff.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Nothing wrong with turning down a 40% wage increase when it doesn't cover a 100% increase in your cost of living!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

…I haven't commited yet cause I don't want to offend the dev who wrote it.

Ugh, that feeling is the worst.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I liked at my last job when we had a major crunch that involved twelve-hour shifts, six days a week, for a month, all to get a big redesign of the site out by an arbitrary date somebody in management chose and foolishly told the public about, followed by several days of twenty-four-hour coverage to put out all the bug fires the release caused. This was all despite clear indications that quality of work was plummeting and everybody had switched to a "Whatever. Just get it out." attitude.

Then I liked it again when it happened the second time, despite everybody saying what a disaster it was the first time.

During the first time, I told my boss I was burning out and he told me to take a day off. When I said I couldn't leave the rest of the team in the lurch like that and he should stop pushing everybody so hard, he told me I had a martyr complex. Good times!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, something like, "Between when I was being interviewed and when I started, the company went through a significant reorg that heavily impacted the team I joined."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One of my former coworkers sent me a link to an open position on her team at her new job. She says the work/life balance is good and the pay and benefits are "great for SLO" (classic). She goes on to describe that most of the company is using waterfall and there's a substantial design and review process whenever her team needs to requests changes in the common code.

This is the part that concerns me, though:

"The international team in SLO are mostly senior leads; most of the actual developers are in India."

Has anybody in this thread worked in a setup like that? How'd it go?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Not to invite comparisons to the Goon in the Well allegory, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to send my resume along and meet with my former coworker's boss anyway. If nothing else, it's more experience with talking about stuff professionally over lunch, right?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My favorite part about GlassDoor's salary ranges is that they're perfectly centered around your actual salary when you're the only person who has submitted one. So I kept submitting the previous year's salary, to fool any prying bosses. :ninja:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CPColin posted:

One of my former coworkers sent me a link to an open position on her team at her new job. She says the work/life balance is good and the pay and benefits are "great for SLO" (classic). She goes on to describe that most of the company is using waterfall and there's a substantial design and review process whenever her team needs to requests changes in the common code.

This is the part that concerns me, though:

"The international team in SLO are mostly senior leads; most of the actual developers are in India."

Has anybody in this thread worked in a setup like that? How'd it go?

CPColin posted:

Not to invite comparisons to the Goon in the Well allegory, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to send my resume along and meet with my former coworker's boss anyway. If nothing else, it's more experience with talking about stuff professionally over lunch, right?

I've got this lunch tomorrow, so I'm working tonight on figuring out how to ask the right questions and give this job a fair shake. Unemployment benefits don't last forever, after all! (But I don't want to set myself up to be miserable, of course.)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had a phone screen last week and the recruiter asked how well I knew a big list of technologies I recognized as Microsoft-specific. So I figured I might as well dig out C# in a Nutshell, which I had to buy for a class in college. Then I realized how long it's been since I was in college and checked the copyright year. 2003. Whatever, there haven't been many updates to C# since version 1.1, right?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Between "Best," "individual," "myself," and "lame typos," I almost had a Boss Email Bingo, but my card had "I am writing to..." instead of "I want to take a moment to...."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We would give people this bit of code and ask them how to make it more efficient:

code:
public <T> boolean hasElement(Collection<T> collection, T element)
{
   boolean found = false;
   for (T t : collection)
   {
      if (t.equals(element))
         found = true;
   }
   return found;
}
Barely anybody would say to return as soon as an element matched. Exactly one person said, "Uh, can you use Collection.contains()?" I always hoped for the latter. We didn't automatically disqualify people who didn't get it right, though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I got an offer! :unsmith: It's for between what I made in my first year and what I made at my second year during my ten years at my last job! :smith: Now I get to cross my fingers that the other place I had a second-round interview at last week will get back to me with a better offer.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At my last job, we would typically dump all the request parameters to a debug log when an exception happened. Occasionally, we would have a connection error with our payment processor.

Cue a bunch of log scrubbing, when somebody finally noticed.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I got an offer last week for what is, essentially, entry-level pay, despite my ten years of experience. I've been letting it hang, hoping to hear back about another job, where they said they'd get back to me "by end-of-day Friday or Tuesday." Meanwhile, the company with the offer called yesterday to see what I was thinking (and remind me they're waiting). Here we are, at the start of Wednesday, and I'm annoyed at the irony of me making one company wait while I wait for another company.

I suppose I can try a counter-offer, to delay things another day? But then, if they flat-out refuse, I'm back to having to give them a yes or no, without knowing what the other company will do. Ugh.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I've been unemployed since January, but I'm, miraculously, not yet desperate, so I sent a counter-offer. Now I need to figure out how to prod the other company, without having them come back with, "Well, you're #3 in line for two positions, so you'll just have to wait it out."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Their response:

quote:

Our compensation practices are designed for fairness. The offer on the table is $24.25 per hour.

Just rejected it. Was going to call them to do it, but gently caress it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CPColin posted:

I've been unemployed since January, but I'm, miraculously, not yet desperate, so I sent a counter-offer. Now I need to figure out how to prod the other company, without having them come back with, "Well, you're #3 in line for two positions, so you'll just have to wait it out."

Called it. They took the other two applicants. :waycool:

Meanwhile, on my alma mater's jobs site:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
No asking for career advice in the Career Advice thread!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You sound like a good fit for management!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had to do it once when I got an offer that was "similar to [my] current salary" and realized I'd put the previous year's salary on my application. The hiring manager asked for a pay stub so he could make the higher budget request.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Agreed. More jobs will turn up, so there's no reason to work for a company whose mission you don't agree with. That's the kind of thing that can contribute to burnout.

Yep. I did this for way too long in my last job and have promised myself not to let it happen again.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

So your lovely joke was really loving on the nose and not at all a joke.

More like in the nose.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"This person came in on a Sunday, probably to catch up on something they're desperately behind on. Better head to the office and distract them!"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The last time I had to do a live coding exercise, I got a little irritated, because the panel was being just a tiny bit too restrictive with their answers. Like, it went like this:

Me: "I'm not familiar with the technology in use here, but I would guess it would look something like this."
Them: "Well, keep going."
Me: "Okay, at this point, I'd have to ask somebody for help on where I need to look."
Them: "…"
Me: "…Where do I need to look?"
Them: "You could tryyyyyyyy…"
*several seconds pass as I take my hands off the keyboard*
Them: "…looking in the…"

Like, come on, guys, I get trying to see how the candidate solves problems, but I just straight-up asked for information, so it's your turn to give me something to go off of. Didn't help that they handed me a Macbook and all my muscle memory for keyboard shortcuts was, thus, shot. They didn't give me help on that, either, unless I specifically phrased a question to them like, "How do I open the developer console? This keyboard doesn't have an F12 key."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had a lunchtime interview where the manager kept asking me questions, then noticing how much food I had on my plate because I wouldn't take bites while answering, then insisting that I feel free to eat, then continuing to ask questions as soon as I took a bite. Maybe it was a test!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
During my last lunch interview, the other people there carried on a continuous conversation with each other with no places for me to butt in and never asked me anything. Also the manager seemed like a dingus. Then we took a tour around some of the places their software runs on campus, but did not tour the actual work area. Then they offered me less than I made ten years ago. It was an easy No!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"When you have a company barbecue, how do you compensate the remote employees?"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm only half-joking. My PO at my last job was remote and had to suffer through all the "Sprint's over! Come have a beer!" emails and pizza party announcements. Also all the back-patting management did about the free snacks in the break room (while simultaneously lamenting that budgetary concerns were leading to cutbacks in the free snacks).

But yeah, I did wonder how her salary translated. Here in San Luis Obispo County, the median home price is like $650k and she bought a giant mansion in Virginia for like $350k. I think there was something screwy with her maternity leave, too, because California's laws were different than Virginia's and the company itself was incorporated in Nevada, of all places.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pollyanna posted:

God, I really hate how recruiters want you to meet for coffee and stop by their offices during work hours n poo poo. It always ends up being an attempt to sell you on some crap job you don't want. I think I'm gonna decline future visits of that sort.

Meeting up for coffee is just the worst, anyway. Sure, I'll come hang out on the 80-degree patio of some coffee shop, drinking a hot beverage! No, I don't mind dumping a bunch of caffeine in my veins in the late afternoon! (I don't drink coffee, either, so I always have to get hot chocolate, like a big nerd. How about we go grab a few beers and drink them in the vacant lot behind the 7-Eleven, instead?)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hey maybe I'm being hyperbolic! I would obviously suggest a graveyard.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That smart apostrophe sure did a number on that quote!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

B-Nasty posted:

This image represents my understanding of the dress levels (except for smart casual, which looks too try-hard):

Just lol when your definition of "casual" still includes a collar

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ha ha that proposal sucks. It's like 40% of the way there, though; it just needs to get way more strict. And lol at the guy saying it's "a solution in search of a problem."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
^^^ :f5:

Meanwhile, today I just clicked "Don't show again" in Visual Studio's nagging to set up continuous integration for like the tenth time.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I’m going to throw an unbelievable twist into all of this. I hooked up with a VP level employee.

"An Unbelievable Twist" would be a good name for some genitals.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Munkeymon posted:

HR loves pop psych personality evaluation bullshit IME. I consulted at one place where employees were supposed to have some five axis graph pinned to their cube wall so people could tell how to communicate with them best. Seemed like all the technical people ignored that though, because I mostly saw them in the PMs' cubes.

Ugh, I remember going through that nonsense once. Management sent out an email blast to some communication consultant's website and told everybody to read it by next week, because we'd be spending two mornings off-site learning about communication. When we got there, they handed out big printouts of their website and started reading them to us. I interrupted and asked if we could skip ahead, but one of my coworkers said, "Uh, not all of us read this stuff already." I thought that would be a point against him, but the consultant mentioned me to my boss for being a problem.

Then we all got name placards with our communication style printed on them and nothing changed. We were supposed to acknowledge that some people are decision-driven and may communicate bluntly and we need to accommodate them and blah blah blah. Never mind that some of those types were kind of just being dicks.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At the end of this year, I hope I like what I'm doing at the job I'm starting tomorrow! Also, I hope California gets a hundred inches of rain, but very slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pollyanna posted:

I like a 9-to-5, a work-life balance, and security in my role and value to my company such that I don't have to get a new job every other year.

Are any universities or local governments hiring around you? The ones around me tend to list their jobs on their organization-specific Careers pages and didn't show up in the "main" job listings, when I was looking for work last year.