Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!
Getting close to 20 years into my career now and I'm kinda feeling stuck. Started out as IT support and ops, transitioned to web dev early on, eventually worked my way up into dev management and now I'm not sure where I actually want to go. Currently working at an agency where I have always been a jack of all trades out of necessity but now I feel stuck as I am looking to switch jobs.

I'm not sure where I exist now because I have been straddling the line between dev and management for a while, and while I think I'm way stronger as a dev and technical consultant than as a manager, I haven't been doing tons of hands on dev work for long enough now that I feel like I've fallen behind, and the idea of grinding leetcode interviews at this point in my life makes me want to die. On the flip side, I haven't been able to focus purely on management enough to where I feel confident making that my sole focus either, since I feel like there are some skill and experience gaps when I'm looking at dedicated engineering manager roles at other companies.

Mix all that in with an unhealthy dose of burnout from years of working at an agency that has been "going through growing pains" for several years now, and I'm left wondering if I even want to do any of this any more.

Has anybody else here gotten to a point where you feel pigeonholed in your current role / company or feel adrift when trying to figure out your next move? I'm at the point where I'm so wiped out from my current job that I get fatigued just looking at other job postings, and I get bummed out when I think about how I actually used to really enjoy the work earlier on in my career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU