Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I have a relative who apparently wrote a bunch of systems in COBOL back when it was still considered a good idea. She's looking at changing careers, and has been out of the industry for literally a decade and a half.

Everyone likes to joke that COBOL programmers are paid in gold ingots for keeping the financial sector alive, but is there any truth to that? Are there are resources I can connect her with to see if she's fit to be a once and future COBOL programmer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Yeah, I don't think work/life balance is going to get a lot of traction at startups, they're often exercises in paying people half in cash and half in dreams, while expecting 2x as many hours.

If you're looking for better hours, a longer term position, and stronger management, the CTO may have a point that this isn't the job for you. That said, there are plenty of positions that do put emphasis on these things.