Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Paolomania posted:

Hey oldies. Thanks for the advice. I have made past the first all-day interview to the point where I will be talking to various team leads. Any tips on what to ask aside from "what does your team do?" or "how do you run your project?"

What's the staff rotation like, who has been promoted from or into your team ?
What was the last big architectural change and how did you manage it ?
How does a new feature get rolled out to production? What happens if it fails ?
Is there any on-call or on-site work ? How much holiday has the team taken this year ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Pollyanna posted:

I'm not an oldie - I just started my career, as a web developer. Although I just started my first job, I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I don't wanna just be like "welp, got a job, guess I'll just play video games on the weekends!", I want to be able to advance my career and get more experience/better positions/:10bux:. But...I don't know what to do next.

When you don't know what to do, it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do something.

quote:

I'm mostly doing web dev (e.g. Rails and front-end/static design), but I'm also interested in iOS/Android development as well, so I'm also using some of my time here at work to learn it. Still, I took this step, and I'm not sure what the next one should be.

Rails, iOs/Android, Other languages like Go, Javascript, Python, Java, C# can't be far off. If you want to hurt your brain, pick up a Scheme or Haskell.

quote:

Oldies in this thread: what were your first two or three years as a developer like? What did you do that you suggest I should do? What missteps should I avoid? What would you do over again? Any advice for someone literally starting out?

i spent a lot of time writing really crappy code to scratch an itch, customise an editor, or hack in a feature

often if i didn't understand how something works i would reimplement it. peeling back the layers of abstraction is often a fun project. write your own hash table, your own list, play with sorting algorithms, how about ui elements, regular expressions, sound mixing, how do they work?

quote:

Edit: To elaborate: I can identify a step to take and take it. I can learn and grow on my own. I just want to make sure that I know how to take the right steps.

learning to program is like playing one of those escape the room puzzles where you have to scour around, backtrack, and things don't always make sense until later.

eventually you can start learning more from other peoples mistakes than your own, but at the beginning, you're going to make a lot of mistakes. you will likely throw away all the code you write for the first 1000 programs, or worse they will haunt you until you die.

write code to throw away: learning comes through hard work, experiment, and play. practice things and give up on writing a magnum opus or a thing of great value.

1. find a thing you want to do, automate, experiment or try
2. hack some poo poo up and see if it works
3. continue hacking on it until you get bored
4. go back to step 1

the best strategy is to make a lot of mistakes quickly, rather than preemptively slow down in fear of the unknown.

quote:

Maybe there aren't any "right steps", but there can at least be some sort of approach I can take to give myself some safety.

thing is, you've been asking this and similar questions a lot. you are really worried about the doing the right thing and no amount of effort posting on our behalf seems to have shifted this fear. it gets pretty irritating when your questions and our answers are like a broken record.

we only got good at programming by writing lots of crap programs. not the "right" programs, not the "wrong" programs but a sheer bunch of loving code. in a number of different languages and platforms.

or in summary: right step: write a whole bunch of code. wrong step: not writing code

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Pollyanna posted:

I think that's what I needed to hear. Knowing that I can't go wrong regardless of what I do is reassuring. Seems like the bottom line is, don't worry over what to do. Do anything. If something doesn't involve programming, shiv it in. Practice and produce, and you'll be fine.

I'll cool it on the posting.

Well it's still good to post when you're stuck on code, but we aren't going to be good at finding you projects to write: we can only tell you what itches we have.

Really i'm saying is that when you start learning a thing, you should be worried about writing code, but it takes a while before you need to worry about writing good code.