Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Stinky_Pete posted:

around when my Google stock is done vesting.
What? Why would this have a termination date?

How it'll work is you'll have your sign-on RSU's. Then every year after that you'll have another grant, probably on the same order of magnitude & time. When your sign-on RSU's are expiring, you'll have built up 4 years of equity grants and likely be receiving the majority of your compensation that way. No matter when you leave, you're probably leaving huge equity on the table to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Stinky_Pete posted:

So you're saying by the time my sign-on stock has finished vesting (4 years), I'll be offered additional RSUs across my career there?
I don't mean to trash your plan or anything, but that is the most likely case. Leaving a big company after a few years means leaving future-money RSU's on the table. For small things, you can negotiate it as part of your sign-on at the next place (e.g. tell the new recruiter "They paid for my schooling, I owe $12k if I leave within a year" and watch your bonus bump up $12k) but after 5 years at a big place you're probably going to lose out on several tens of thousands of dollars of stock when you leave.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Pollyanna posted:

So if I'm at a large established company with a lot of stock stuff (finance/insurance), is it in my interest to stick around as long as possible?
No. It's in their best interest, and yearly equity refreshes on a 4 year vesting schedule are part of the retention plan.

asur posted:

I wouldn't say that you're losing anything in most situations. Unvested stock is compensation for the year it vests in so you can just compare total comp and make your decision based on that and any other factors.
This is literally where my example of an Amazon employee asking for $300k+ tcomp comes from. Recruiter: "C'mon, name a number!" "Look, I'm not some vested Amazonian asking for $300k tcomp, just 'normal' for the position, area, and my experience." You get stupid numbers that nobody will come up to. Plus, if you're getting taxed at your nominal rate for RSU's you're messing it up in a whole other fashion. And if it's a matter of "if I quit before the end of Q2, I won't get 50% of this year's RSU'S" then that really looks like a cliff to me.

asur posted:

If you work for a large public company, it is generally very easy to calculate total compensation and then compare that. Where it gets more difficult is if the company is private and/or issuing options as there may be restrictions or requirements on what happens when you leave and there is also the issue of dilution if the company is going through series funding.
If your opinion on dilution matters, it's safe to say you're not getting advice on the SA forums.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They just are the people that are "here to help" with the infrastructure and blablabla I want to rip off my face.

Some approaches to consider:
1) Pre-chew everything possible. File tickets when they'd want you to, just include your already-completed version of the request as a "suggestion"
2) Put them in the critical path. If you're working on something critical and this is significantly delaying you, make that obvious to the business person who cares about your work.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Necc0 posted:

renegade titans of silicon valley.
This is pretty ridiculous.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I disagree with all these nice folks, if you're so much of a downer that you're able to bring down a peppy interviewin' Googler over a phone call and suck the joy out of their self-description you should do the recruiter a favor and withdraw yourself from consideration.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Stinky_Pete posted:

could just be a busy day

Yeah, GWH have you been involved in interviewing from the other side? It's really easy to let things slip a day or two without really worrying, multiply by the body count of the decision and it can add up. As a candidate I agonize all the same, but in this specific instance you've done everything right and there's no real action to be taken other than wait.

One of the best case emails from the recruiter might be "I'm still waiting on Person X's feedback," and there's nothing you could really do with that either.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

AskYourself posted:

For me it's almost always been because of the direction/vision/strategy of the org rather than co-workers and manager. Maybe I've been lucky but I've mostly had nice coworker and or managers. Or at least I can see enough niceness in them to not hate them.

It did happen , once, gently caress them and their egos. They can create all the simplest buggy crap they want without me.

How does the direction/vision/strategy of the org affect your day to day though? More than the person who functions as your interface to the whole system and has the largest say in your regular review? Maybe I'm just some dumb prole, but "existential thread 5+ years out" doesn't weigh on me quite as heavily as "vast majority of in-person interactions"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

necrobobsledder posted:

Tons of variation across companies but for me it has meant lay-offs, loss of contracts, 80+ hour weeks, death marches, truly useless "morale" type meetings, etc. When most big companies make changes of direction now, they're wanting action now because they're getting desperate (see: IBM - they're on "near-bankruptcy" status for the what 3rd time in the past 2 decades I think?). If you're a market leader and quite comfortable with healthy margins, it's not the same as if you're in a cagematch industry like a lot of others are facing increasing consolidation to keep things afloat. Huge difference between Apple making OS X more iOS-like and a company like GE that's trying to become a major tech employer by 2020 when most of its employees are in old school manufacturing.
Assuming you're doing some basic checking and not signing on to a place with layoffs, loss of contracts, 80+ hour death marches, if you've found yourself in multiple jobs where a Fortune 500 company changed direction in such a drastic fashion it's pretty safe to say you're an outlier and the majority of folks changing jobs aren't in those same circumstances.

I generally agree with the notion that people quit managers, not companies, but I'm not eager go into too many specifics.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Steve French posted:

I think you've hit on the difference here: company size. The jobs I have quit have been after joining onto a promising project / small company, and then after a few years things weren't turning out as well as hoped, or growth slowed, or whatever else caused things to appear relatively greener elsewhere. I've had lovely coworkers, but I've never quit over them, personally.
There's an interesting failure mode in smaller high-growth companies where the "Director of Engineering" or some other key player in the ~5 person company is wholly unequipped to handle that same position at a headcount of ~20 or ~80. A lot of folks move on by choice or otherwise, the alternative being someone who can't do the job through no fault or failing of their own. Larger companies are much better at handling that kind of situation, by either not promoting someone above their skills, properly training for new roles, or offering a smoother pathway back out of it.

There's an interesting failure mode in larger companies with several verticals where an IC's front line manager can be unaware, uncaring, or downright hostile to work performed outside of their silo. Escalation can be difficult, transferring elsewhere may not be an option. Smaller companies are much better at that, everyone generally understands the global picture and can respect or at least tolerate work happening outside of an org chart solid line.

I've generally left places because of a compelling option that I just couldn't turn down. But I don't think "bad manager" is a problem specific to company size. I appreciate the insight that that smaller companies make one more sensitive to those higher concerns, I had my doubts about one place starting to creep up before they resolved them by laying me off

rt4 posted:

I just received an offer for a full-time remote job I've been interviewing about over the last few weeks. The HR person sent me a PDF to sign and scan within two days with the salary written directly on it. No details about benefits at all.

Is that weird? It feels like they're trying to bypass basic negotiation. I want to get myself a signing bonus to buy a nice laptop in case my desktop dies for some reason. I'd also like whatever extra vacation time I can manage.
I've had some offers come in about like that. Vague numbers chat before that, and bigger places really want to get you on the phone to go into detail about 401(k)'s and ESPP's before the email goes out, but "the offer" is always a pdf or docusign with a deadline. A "letter of intent" is shadier. You're right to push back and gleefully ignore the deadline if you have other options.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
You'd also be living in Palo Alto

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Got contacted for a position where the bottom end of the salary range is what I make now and the top is about 10k lower than what I want but still a 20k raise.

Do I I go through the process or just bail?
You're trying to leave the current place and it's an internal recruiter, right? Depending on funding series, "startup in a major city" could be sloshing with cash and a $50k signing bonus wouldn't be outlandish, or post-IPO asking for $200k over 4 years of RSU grant. If it's the kind of place you want on your resume, has smart folks doing good work that you'd like to join, and ticks every other box apart from "mediocre base salary" I'd say go for it and figure out how to make the tcomp work for you if you get through.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

I've got about 5 places in the pipeline now so we'll see.
If you're already ramped up on interviewing, it makes sense to go for most things that pops up. "Internal" recruiter is important, because if you already have some offers in the pipeline you don't want to debase yourself with an awful external recruiter. Don't spread yourself too thin and let something slip through, be honest with everyone in the process, but your marginal cost for each new interview is as low as it will ever be.

But really, be creative when you're negotiating. Sign-on bonus, extra vacation, paying for classes/conferences/etc. Want a night MBA? Ask for it when they decline your 1.1x base request. Recruiters will be clear when you've maxed out some bucket (this is the max RSU grant we can give for this position) but they generally have a lot of extra levers and if you're not happy with the base salary you can push them to see what those levers are.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Stinky_Pete posted:

Oh no. I'll have to meet with her at 1. So inefficient
I mean, it kinda sucks when you're depending on someone who's in the office from 10-3 with an hour lunch who encourages ignorable emails for simple, direct questions. They're putting "hours" in late at night or whatever, but it can have a noticeable drag on the entire team's velocity. A myopic focus on personal productivity and blatant disregard for folks with children or other non-coding concerns in their life doesn't scale well. Room should be made for interacting with colleagues, both informally and formally.

There's a lot of talking past each other, but I've generally seen more shade thrown at folks who leave at 5PM sharp than the ones who work off-hours.

Stinky_Pete posted:

Also, if you're in more than 2 meetings per day as a developer something is very very wrong
At this point I think you're just painting "big company with fungible devs in rows of identical cubes" as the sole standard. Have you ever been a sole developer? Tech lead? Worked with UI, ops, marketing? Do you consider an hour of non-technical product conversation beneath your station?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

So, I'm supposed to take things off my resume that I haven't used in a while? It's not really esoteric but I haven't used SQL much since college (beyond the basics) and definitely don't remember the exact way certain aggregations and such work, but feel pretty confident that if I actually got the time to use it I'd ramp back up pretty quickly.
Do you really want a job that's selecting you because of SQL 10 years ago? At a certain point you're past the scattershot "give me anything that pays" point and targeting your search for things that would actually excite you. If you're not tailoring your resume for each position, you're advertising core competencies and that's a much shorter list.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

I felt more inclined to do take home stuff because it's very low stress to me. I can do it in my own element and it's more reflective of me coding on a whiteboard or even Sublime.

Am I just interviewing with lovely places?
Not necessarily. "Take home" can run the gamut from "obviously trying to get work for free" to "filtering for folks who don't mind coding off-hours or off the clock" but you're early enough in your career that I wouldn't sweat doing them. Especially if you don't mind the work itself, but you should be applying some extra scrutiny on places that ask that. Also, since it does serve as a crude filter, you won't be working with anyone with a family so I'd ask about the senior engineering staff and try to suss out if there's someone there you would be learning from. As a mid-level, a solid mentor would be way up on my list.

I had one place that wanted to do a trial 8 hour day as an interview stage. I sent back my contracting rate.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ralith posted:

Surely they can't actually expect you to be a net benefit to their company in a single day. Common wisdom seems to be that it takes at least a couple weeks for someone to ramp up and be productive.
1) I am that awesome. Are... are you not??
2) It was a startup, so the relative complexity of the product and the company wouldn't take that long to get a simple intuition for. Think of a Kickstarter, could you materially help a kickstarter in a day? Most could benefit from a professional hour or two.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ralith posted:

We're talking about a company's reasonable expectations for an typical new engineering employee, not anyone's particular abilities :colbert:

Oh, for a relatively high-level role in very small product or young company I can definitely see it. I'm used to thinking in terms of joining large existing teams which already have a number of more experienced engineers who've already knocked out the low hanging fruit.
I think 90%+ of the disagreements on this forum are folks talking past each other from sub-disciplines or company types.

AskYourself posted:

It's a big ego game where we expect candidate to play a game of wits with the interviewer while at the same time the candidate must not show total dominance over his interviewee or he'll fear for his own position.
I'm not sure "total dominance" would fly for a whole host of reasons aside from an irrational fear.

But for pollyanna and other folks in the peanut gallery: someone demonstrating they can take every single one of your responsibilities and execute on them should be a joyous moment. In a well-run company it means you're freed up to work on bigger & better things. Training your own replacement happens, but it should be outside of normal operating conditions.

AskYourself posted:

Truth is, getting your license does not prove you are a good dev.
Here it's wholly separate from "good dev" or any practical technical concerns, almost to the point of absurdity.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Counterpoint: you're gonna kvetch about the fact that every 3-5 years you have to spend several of your probably paid vacation days to score another job that will pay you 2-3x the median household income a year? :qq:
No? It's apples-to-apples with hiring practices for other places, his reasoning wasn't contingent on currently being employed.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Is not getting any sort of career advancement/mentorship/working on anything remotely stimulating (or anything at all really)/sitting there while your brain rots/on a team that's already overstaffed that just hired another senior developer a valid reason for leaving that future employers would find "Acceptable"? Cause I'm really close.
I never know how to read these, because it's the forums I sorta assume that folks let a little more cynicism out. The core reasoning is fine, but you could easily screw an opportunity up by being that candid about it. I interviewed one candidate who just let loose on previous colleagues for how they'd stifled his genius, you know RF isn't that hard to do anyway?

To wit, "overstaffed" means "confident I can move on to better things without leaving the team in a lurch", "avoid brain rot" means "eager for new areas & challenges to explore now that I have a solid grounding in one core competency".

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Analytic Engine posted:

What is the ultimate career goal of Scrum masters? It seems like PMs are shooting for middle/upper management, and the only good Scrum Master I've known was laid off and then hired elsewhere as a senior PM. Not trying to judge, this is totally outside my experience.
PMs grow up to be COO's.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pr0zac posted:

My general issues are with it being rather open ended meaning performance is pretty strongly tied to available free-time and the metrics we're using to judge it not being that clearly documented (I work in security so theres a development part and a security auditing part).
An old company used to use a take-home design challenge. We sort of copied it from the Mech E's, but it seemed useful at the time. It was very similar to the work that we did, so the criteria was both technical aspects and how well they communicated their solution to the engineering staff. It did suffer somewhat about selecting for free time, but we generally went into the meeting knowing how long they'd had to sit with it. There were a variety of technical issues present and each of them was ripe for discussion. We'd tune it for each applicant, so junior folks got a toned-down version, pure FW folks had major parts selected for them, but that sort of hindered apples-to-apples comparisons.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

To make that discussion work well, it's good for you to have an idea of where you want to take the 'further design' discussion, but make sure that the assignment is specific and scoped to implementing something concrete that is the first step of that bigger design you have in mind. Also treat the assignment less as an actual filtering step, and more as prep work to get on common ground for an interview. Of course if someone flaming fails it, give them the boot. But you're probably not gonna be blown away with anyone's boringly competent solution to a kind of artificial task, so don't hold your breath waiting for that. Instead use it to find those people when discussing the implementation or further design.
Really like this take on it. Definitely have someone on your team write up a solution guide, pointing out the specific challenges and a few possible solutions, questions to lead the discussion.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

My main question for stuff like this is how much can I Google?
I'm not following how you'd google a discussion question over possible implementations?

Part of ours was designing a networked gambling machine with tickets so one of the questions was about threat models. You have an antagonistic user who's going to unplug the machine. What possible failure modes are there, and which do you think are acceptable? e.g. You could have the ticket count as "spent" without giving out a reward OR you could have the ticket pay out but unplug before "spent" is communicated to the server depending on the implementation. The problem statement isn't complete enough to know which of those is more desirable (are rewards meaningful or 1/20th of a penny coupons and the machine was just to get someone in the building?) so most candidates pick one and can defend it with their conception of the problem.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

muon posted:

executive review at Google
Is this still "well everyone who actually spoke to this human and would work alongside them gave a thumbs up, but Page glanced at the resume for 30 seconds and said no"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I can guarantee they're having conversations about how they can't find any good devs and at no point will the homework, and it's worthless judging criteria, be implicated at fault.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Coca Koala posted:

they've got around ~220 employees
7 years old and have solid revenue of ~12 mil with more raised in funding

If I get an offer, should I be asking for some form of equity? How much is reasonable to ask for, or to accept?
Do you know what series? I'd guess somewhere in the E~F range. Look them up on crunchbase.com or similar to see.

You won't be talking about "points" or percentages, that late in a startup you're probably getting equity offers that are priced at their present value and don't rely on the future magic kaboom.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Coca Koala posted:

Crunchbase says they've gone through three rounds of fundraising to get $XM, with the most recent being the Y Series for $ZM back in 20XX.

That's enough for a unique hit, if you mind things like that, and on angellist they're advertising "0.005% – 0.04%" equity for SWEs.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

It sounds to me like you're being pretty picky and reading too much into weak signals. But ultimately only you can decide what's right for you.

Along this line, the interviewer for my current job who raked me over the coals is probably my closest colleague now. It genuinely stung in the interview but as a coworker he's really helpful. You absolutely can detect toxic folks you wouldn't want to work with in an interview, but the antagonism built into the process might color things.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Since the next place isn't rushing you, there's always the option of giving more than 2 weeks notice to help the company's transition plan and assuage the survivor guilt.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

lifg posted:

I'd sooner say yes to an interviewee who had read Dale Carnegie (and Crucial Conversations and such) and tried and failed to convince their bosses to do better, than one who didn't try.

In my experience, folks poo poo talking their previous management tend to have giant blind spots to their own faults. Think how!!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Vulture Culture posted:

It's not outlandish for the majority of employees, but it's one of only a handful of places where you can manage a seven-figure income as a non-management-track engineer if you've got the skills and productivity to warrant it.

e: probably a lot less likely nowadays as the value of option grants for new employees is surely a lot lower than it once was
Option grants?? What decade is this where they aren't RSU's?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
On the technical side, that sounds fine. I can't speak to the particulars of distributed but the geneal approach doesn't raise any red flags.

I'm kinda curious what you think the differences in entry-/mid-/senior-level are? There's slightly more to it than being able to take on bigger chunks of technical work.

At your day job, you want to keep an eye out for situations that will fit into behavioral questions. Right now, if you were prompted with "Describe a time that you disagreed with management's approach to a technical problem, how you reacted, and the eventual resolution." How would you answer? You should have a few anecdotes about difficult situations ready to go. Preferably where you're the magnanimous hero. In any case aim higher than "i dunno the AD WIZARDS who came up with using MongoDB *snort* but I switched it over to postgres without telling anyone and because a STUPID linux bug deleted the production data they fired me"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

I've been here 3 weeks and have done basically nothing on a project that is still in early planning phases, how can I evaluate someone's ability to succeed in a job on this team or even a tangentially related team that I know hardly nothing about? You don't see a problem in that? Sure, I can interview someone and ask them some problem solving bullshit white boarding or about their last job but uhhhh yeah. I'm not even a "Senior" engineer by any means of the word.
"Are you a self-starter?"
"In the absence of top-down direction, are you able to suss out what the business needs are for your role and start to execute on them?"

I've never had formal training on how to conduct interviews. Like at a certain point they just throw you in there and assume you can come out with a thumbs up / thumbs down. Bonus points if HR bothers telling you what can't be asked.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

this way you get to help pick your teammates.
Yeah, worst case you're picking the guy next to you. Pick a nice one.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

lifg posted:

I'm with you.

I was hired during a big hiring burst, and started sitting in on interviews a month after I joined. I wasn't the final say on *any* applicants, I just passed on my impressions of their programming abilities up to the director.
Yeah, I really don't think this is too much to ask. I've reviewed resumes in my first week on a job.

But if you're not satisfied, you can totally go to management and whine that you're unqualified and unable to do the one concrete thing they've asked you to do. That could work out well.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

If you spent a few hours doing a take home assignment, how would you feel if the person who reviewed it had spent maybe a cumulative 5 hours (writing incredibly simple automation scripts) with the language you chose to use and would be the person assessing you? Sure I can see how it runs, if he did the features adhering to the spec, did anything obviously boneheaded, etc. and I will without whining or saying anything to anyone. Anyway, management is my boss, he's the VP of engineering on our side. But it feels unfair to the candidate.
Realistically? I'd probably never know. Why are you so convinced that it matters? Did you read their code? Would you like to read more of their code and work with them? Answer the question, quit fretting over your inadequacies that nobody else seems to care about. The manager asked you to do it, right? They're aware of your 5 hour stint with the language? Trust their judgement if nothing else.

At what point did you woefully internalize the concept that "interviews are fair"? That's going to cause problems. Best get rid of it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

csammis posted:

It's not an urban legend: sometimes the copy you sent to the company is mysteriously different when it makes it to the interviewer's hands. Thanks recruiters!
Do you really know yourself before you've seen your professional career run through a dodgy OCR program?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Blinkz0rz posted:

Anyone have a salary range for a SE2 doing devops in Boston?

What's a SE2 in "years of experience"? Like midlevel 3~5 years?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Getting laid off seems lit tho

Having done both, it's definitely the better option. Less storytelling.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

csammis posted:

Well I earned my "got laid off" badge last Friday. Hooray.
:woop:

csammis posted:

My wife and I have been considering a move to the Pacific NW - we're in Kansas City currently. Does anyone have experience with hunting for relocation-type jobs while laid off? Is it wiser to find a stable position locally and then do the larger move planning or am I right in figuring that now's as good a time as any for a moonshot?
If you can stand the wait, I'd go for the moonshot now. Interviewing and searching takes effort. I've found it a lot harder to balance a full-time job and all those stresses while actively looking.

The "stable position" would ideally be some contracting thing where you can sling code for a few hours a day and bounce out to the coast when necessary both short and long-term. I couldn't walk into a salaried job knowing I was on the way out, but I suspect this principle would falter if my health care depended on it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
When I graduated, ML was called "AI," neural nets were somewhere between a joke and a toy. 3 years into my career the App Store was released.

Aiming for what's hot/interesting *right now* by running out to exactly one of those jobs doesn't seem like a solid plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

oliveoil posted:

That's just an example.

Doing nothing also seems unlikely a solid plan.
Sorry, that was aimed somewhere between you and Pollyanna.

You might legitimately be in danger of the "one year four times" but I sincerely doubt it. At the very least, you're more aware of the business needs surrounding the coding tasks. Higher level folks spend a lot of time working those things out and translating needs up and down. Well ok this captures it:

Destroyenator posted:

Unless it's a really niche position the attitude and process experience is worth way more than being a 9/10 over a 6/10 in a given technology.