Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Speaking of transitions how can one transition technology stacks? Especially without a step involving "go be a junior dev somewhere for 2 years" . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

But also I'm curious how you deal with developer burnout because I'm going to still have to work here until I get around to finding a new job.

bourbon

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

StateOwned posted:

I really would love to leave my current company for a variety of reasons - but I keep running into work/life balance issues when researching other places. is 15 PTO days really the standard? I get 21 at my current job along with federal holidays. I'd basically be losing 9 days off a year. Also, there seems to be this expectation that 45 hours is a totally reasonable work week. I might work more than 40 hours 4 times a year.

Me: 10 years of experience, DC area (federal contractor), average salary. I don't hate my job but I'm really ready to move on.

I'm curious as to what kind of hours people here work and what their PTO situation is like.

I'm in DC but on the trade association side here -- we get all the federal holidays plus 10 annual leave ( increasing to 15 at 5 years and 20 at 10) plus 2 personal days plus 3+ weeks sick leave though I've heard our benefits are pretty nuts. Slower times hours are closer to 40 but when it gets hot and heavy I'll easily do 60-100 weeks but that is as much me and how I roll than anything in the organization.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

I'm a relative short-timer and I've been here 15 years. We just had someone retire after 50.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Those guys don't bother me so much as the people who are really, really horrible developers but don't realize their poo poo stinks. Typically this is combined with a religious love of particular stacks like PHP.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I have a 1 on 1 with our new engineering manager tomorrow and I'd like to inquire about a raise (I really deserve a promotion but we'll see). I've been at the company 18 months and got a 7% raise or so in February but at this point I've basically become the sole owner of a very large project while contributing to other teams as well and training other less experienced developers. The company is hurting for people with my expertise of our system and business, as well as this new project I've basically started to lead. On top of that, we just lost one of our team leads in May and one of our seniors last week and I've been picking up slack.

The issue is that the new manager just started a few weeks ago. What do I say? My performance review was in February and I'm not sure if I'll have another one before that time next year. If I don't get a fairly substantial raise I plan on looking for a new job starting in a few weeks after my vacation.

Personally, I would not hit the new manager with "I need a raise" off the top rope -- he is probably trying to figure out which way is up and who is doing what and that will just mark you a money grubbing whore. It would be reasonable to walk him through what you are doing for these projects and ask if there is any structure for performance reviews and performance raises though.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/ruby/rails/is-a-ghetto comes to mind . . .

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Ithaqua posted:

But that guy is a self important cock so I have trouble taking him seriously.

A perhaps deserved self-important cock with some classic material. Everyone should also watch the ACL is Dead once a year at https://vimeo.com/2723800

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Same boss for 15 years here. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Cryolite posted:

What do you guys think of putting down that one is an Eagle Scout on a resume?

I would keep it -- it is a hell of an accomplishment.

In other news, I have finally made exit velocity. In a few short weeks I'll be sliding over to a different role managing technical operations for our event spaces and trade show rather than doing that job *and* being responsible for our whole public facing infrastructure, software architecture, development practices and a few other things. IT has been real fun but I'm glad I'm getting out -- just hitting a point of diminishing returns for me, especially at this organization. So to summarize you CAN do it.