Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I've got 10 years of .net/sql development experience under my belt and my company is pretty dead set on killing "custom development" and moving everything to IBM BPM (which is a development tool, but for some reason everyone thinks it's off the shelf software) and/or Dynamics AX (which will need to be heavily customized to do anything like we want it to do).

I have zero interest in working in either of these development environments long-term, but this is a nice stable job, even if it doesn't pay well.

I've been considering jumping ship but I'm worried about job stability (two kids, stay at home wife), and having to work more anywhere else.

Some one talk me down/up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I'm sure there are plenty of stable jobs around, but I would plan on job hopping a couple times before landing in one. Don't settle for the first job you find if it isn't going to work out long term (and if you've been in the industry 10 years you should be able to figure this out pretty darn quickly). Explaining job hopping to interviewers sucks, but it's better than gutting it out at a terrible job for several years.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

There are large stable .NET shops around, they just don't get talked about a lot. A friend of mine works at Ancestry.com, I think, and they have a lot of .NET. I think they're transitioning a bit to Java, though.

Thanks for the advice guys. I went on a few interviews and landed a .net development/ALM position with a large and established consulting firm where I'll make 16k a year more.