Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortarr
Apr 28, 2005

frozen meat at high speed

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

If your finances can take it, take a sabbatical. Quit if you need to. Dwelling on a lovely job is unhealthy and it takes time to deprogram yourself of the Stockholm Syndrome that's keeping you there. If you have to, find another job and defer your start date and _don't_ think about it in between.

I think you hit the nail on the head with "stockholm syndrome". My last job was a oval office to decide to move on from, and it had a lovely boss, lovely ways work could come into the team, poo poo responsibility and lovely tools, but I had a couple of good mates there, the hours were good and I didn't think I'd find anywhere else like it. Turns out I was wrong, and my current gig is pretty sweet. Maybe not as challenging, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing, when that meant coming home and being cross with my wife and kids every day.

The thing is, it took a long time to reaslise that work the reason I was always pissed off, and a while after that to do something about it. But when I did, and when I got my new gig, things got better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortarr
Apr 28, 2005

b0lt posted:

I got this questionnaire once for one of my ex-coworkers...

drat... how do you even answer that?

mortarr
Apr 28, 2005

Not so hypothetical question... You're being interviewed for a job where an ex-colleague of yours and of the interviewers once worked. The ex-colleague left the place you're interviewing at on ok terms, but left your current work follwing conflict with the team and subsequent HR process.

The interviewers aren't aware of this, and ask how their old workmate is doing and what he's up to. How do you respond without coming off like a dickhead and sabotaging your interview?

I think I lost a job because of some offhand commend I made in that situation, after the interview was finished. I'd be interested to hear anyone elses approach.

mortarr
Apr 28, 2005

The Witness posted:

For all the older programmers here, what would you consider to be the essential skills that helped you throughout your careers over the years? Is there a specific combination of skills or habits that proved more rewarding than focusing on other skills?

Like others have said, being able to talk to people - explaining technical poo poo in a way that makes sense in their context. Being able to think about big-picture stuff, as in: this system we're putting in now, lets also have a think about running it when it's five years in. Finding some aspect of whatever task that's interesting. Not being in a rush to do something - this one still trips me up now and then though!

It's funny that the communication and documentation side of what I do is something I find quite rewarding, but the framework those skills are built on was on stuff I learned in classes I hated with teachers I thought were crap.

mortarr
Apr 28, 2005

Tao Jones posted:

As I get older, I'm less and less interested in learning the new way to iterate over a collection in hipster.js every six months. Becoming an engineering manager seems like a good way to not have to do that while still getting paid lots of money and being afforded status in society working in an exciting industry.

Togaf seems to be pretty big in New Zealand for jobs advertised at architect/mgmt level... Is this the case anywhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortarr
Apr 28, 2005

Anyone made the transition from senior dev to solutions architect? I'm bored of writing pissant line-of-business web apps, and the big projects which I love are few and far between, so looking for something new. Feel like I'm topped out career-path-wise in my city so going to have to commute to the big smoke too - if you can call Wellington the big smoke! Any advice?