Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I've had my fill of early-stage startup life for a while, so me and my CEO are planning my exit (amicable departure - incidentally, #4 on the previous list). So I'll be on the job market again. Anyone have any insight on places that a) do iOS and b) are generally good at promoting good people?

I'm also moving on from my current 2.5 year gig and am incredibly impressed by Hired.com. Took a few hours to get accepted.

It seems like the best way to pick where you're willing to work, set expectations , and let the offers roll in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cryolite posted:

Does this sound reasonable/crazy for someone with my experience? I'm willing to relocate anywhere - assuming I can learn enough to show people I know my poo poo with scala or whatever do you think I can do exciting things working with great people and make a lot of money doing it?

Not crazy at all for California. I'd recommend throwing some references on that resume and connecting with recruiters in SF, LA, and NY. I've had good luck with Jobspring Partners.

I'm doing my first Hired.com auction on Monday and that seems like the best way to go about it these days. You can set a minimum salary offer and you see what each company is offering you before you start talking to them.

Let me know how it goes!

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cryolite posted:

I hope it's not too early to ask, but I'm really curious, how did this go?

16 hours in and so far so good. There are definitely more opportunities in the SF Bay Area and NYC. If you're willing to relocate to those places it's fantastic. Los Angeles not so much, but that could be due to their LA office just recently opening.

A lot of the companies I'm seeing are heavy on Python or Ruby but that might just be related my skill set. Applying can't hurt, seems like a better way then dealing with LinkedIn / JobVite.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arachnamus posted:

Are the offers not contingent on face to face interviews?

Same ol' interview process of phone interview, coding challenge, face to face. Except that there is an offer on the table and the companies respond to you a lot faster than firing your resume into the ether on LinkedIn and waiting to hear back from someone.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

I'm very curious how the hired auctions work in practice. So you get the offers first and interview later? Is there room for negotiation before and/or after the interview?

Yep. Offer first, interview second. It's the same interview process we've all been through. Mostly the offer first allows you to set a minimum salary that you would be interested in and all the employers can see each other's bids and change them accordingly. It's a better gauge of the market especially for bigger companies who need a little push to realize how much developers and designers cost right now.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
CTO pushed back my announcement to the team that my last day will be the 31st. This is the third time it's been pushed back.

Should I just start telling people? He keeps using this "let's keep this between us" thing every time we discuss my departure.

I've been training up someone to take on my current workload the last two weeks so I feel like this shouldn't be too much of a surprise to everyone.

edit: We've lost a large amount of developers in a short amount of time. I guess he's just worried about morale? Still annoying.

Rudest Buddhist fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 20, 2017

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yep, agreed. Going to bring it up this afternoon.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

prisoner of waffles posted:

What would be wrong with being straightforward with your CTO? Tell him why you want to let people know you're going and ask why he wants it to be delayed. If you leaving will be a morale event, telling people at the last second probably won't make it any better.

Pulled him aside. He wanted to push back the date because someone popular was let go on a different team (small company). I persuaded him to go through with announcing it to our team. It's happening in 20 min. Feels like this place went south quickly.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

prisoner of waffles posted:

Is your decision to move on feeling even smarter now? Because it should.

One offer in hand and one in "we're putting it together" status: feels good man

Feeling the best I've felt in months this morning :banjo:

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
FWIW, I've had good luck using InterviewCake.com for my latest batch of interviews. It'll run you through the vast majority of white boarding / coding stuff you'll be seeing. Much like cracking the coding interview but for some reason this seems more concise to me.

I got my rear end kicked a bit last night by an iOS pre-interview coding challenge, diving back into it again tonight. We all go through this, it makes you better in the long run! Gotta apply for jobs you're interested in and go for the moon shot. Worst case you get some good feedback.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yep, time to get out there.

Use it as an opportunity to work on something you're really excited about. You can have stability and a cool project to work on.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Good Will Hrunting posted:

He strikes me as a person that will never be able to achieve this due to his personality and incessant need to prove that his tech decisions are the right ones which is why I'm so dejected. I'm slowly realizing how true this is and how so few people have it.

:aaaaa: I think you work with my old boss (of the company I just left) :aaaaa:

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hell yes, thanks for posting this. This gives me a better idea of where I should aim myself to get further into embedded software.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey Gang, taking over as lead on a medium-large-ish legacy project today. I was thinking of diagramming everything out in UML in order to get a better understanding of how the thing is built so I can start seeing where to make changes. My thinking is I don't want to go brazenly making changes without having a decent understanding of how this thing works.

Any advice before I jump in?

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the feedback guys. Picked up a copy of Working Effectively with Legacy Code and I'll take this one chunk at a time.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pretty great! West side has your smaller series-A companies (and snap). Playa Vista has the bigger companies (Yahoo, YouTube, Google). The valley has the Fortune 500 stand-bys (CBS, Medtronic, Garmin).

Live close to work so your commute is < 20 min.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've never been able to successfully pivot at the same organization. I'd say it's time to explore and figure out what will keep you excited for the next gig.

Over the last ten years I've gone from help desk -> QA -> ruby web dev -> python data dev -> iOS dev -> director of engineering (really just iOS and DevOps).

Just work on side projects for what you'd like to get into next and blast out 150 resumes a week. Make interviewing your new job, you'll get to see what's out there and it'll give you idea on things to work towards that everyone is pining for. Try to take the pressure off of interviewing by doing so many and turning it into a numbers game. Try to find a culture that works for you. It seem like sometimes it's not the stack but the culture that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
HackerRank can be good. Cracking The Coding Interview is great and can be good practice for most of the hoops companies will want you to jump through.