Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

anyone past 40 and have made the choice to (semi)-retire or downgrade from full-time work to freelance/part-time work?

i'm turning 40 this year and while i'm doing well (switched from pure dev to applied ML a while back), i feel like retiring and maybe treat coding as a hobby or part-time job deal. the pandemic's firmed the desire since i'm currently 100% WFH - my partner's told me to try out a sabbatical first. i'm idly thinking of writing a technical book for the domain I cover.

we're financially independent so finances aren't an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I have friends at mainstream tech companies that’ve gone all in on superstonk/crypto with 7 figure investment portfolios so who knows :shrug:

If you’re under 30, you’ve spent your entire career seeing the markets always go up

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1523017143939309568?s=20&t=hAiLbY22ro4BPJKyTdd8HA

lol at companies dragging people back to the office - people are going to move en-masse to perma-remote friendly companies

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1522609829553971200?s=20&t=vQrUw6G_1rWFO1JqeXMY_w

Apropos of the discussion upthread

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol i'd be iffy about accepting an offer from two of the FAANGs right now, three if you're on the cautious side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's a generational difference in how zoomers use linkedin - i get these rando requests from students, especially indian students, all the time. not sure what they get out of it since most of them don't message about jobs.

i also wonder whether the users who post their work wins on it, get any benefit from it. i'm past 40 and peers my age generally treat it as a CV profile website.