Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

If you're using rand() you might as well not worry about it and just use mod since your results will be poo poo regardless of what you do.

Please don't be that guy that assumes because you haven't heard of it, it doesn't exist or isn't important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Dessert Rose posted:

The only way anyone can ever teach you anything new is if you show them what they need to teach you.

I spend a lot of time being loudly wrong, it's the best way to get people to explain why you're wrong.

Ex: See my posting.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

metztli posted:

Right, but for my interview plan, they don't need to bring in a lot. Just ONE non-trivial thing OR a homework assignment I'd give them that I know is a ~4 project (so you can see, non-trivial is a pretty low bar). The only quality expectation I would have is that the work done match what I would expect from the level of the position the candidate is aiming for.

In my opinion If a candidate couldn't provide one of those two things when looking for a job, that's a pretty big red flag to me so I'd be OK passing. I don't think it would turn off good candidates, either, certainly not any more than "we're going to make the interview as much unlike what it would be like to work here as possible" interview styles would and do.

Literally everything I write is owned by my current employer and I can't recall how many NDAs I'm under.

I've done 'homework' to interview, but if it takes me more than, say, an hour, I'd pass. Again, I have a job. You're setting yourself up to hire only students and the desperate.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The greatest predictor of mediocre coasting success is prior success, including e.g. having successful parents.

ftfy

Regression to the mean is real, strong and my friend.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

and if it turns out that it's my own fault then i guess i deserve it :shepface:

Stop! Stop. Stoooop. Stop. No.

It's Always Management's Fault, Just Never To Their Face.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

I haven't used clojure, but I wrote some tiny programs in Common Lisp. I had the exact same type issues I had as with javascript programs. This was at a time when I thought dynamically typed languages were okay. Lisps are probably bad ityool 2018 specifically because they are dynamically typed. Gradual typing isn't sufficient.

The argument for clojure is that there are still experimental things being added to haskell today; you don't have to wait for a someone to mine out an appropriate formalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Obviously he serves the company

Yeah, so what the hell are you gonna tell him anything?