Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

the dwemer ruins made no sense what use would a facility with random spinning floor blade traps serve in a logical society like the dwemer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Upmarket Mango posted:

the dwemer ruins made no sense what use would a facility with random spinning floor blade traps serve in a logical society like the dwemer

automated defenses activated by a dead man's switch seems the only plausible explanation aside from "gotta make level hard"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Upmarket Mango posted:

Considering the Dwemer liked to make poo poo like cornered spheres and time-breaking golems and their children liked to sing songs about finding another type of zero, I think they don't operate on any sort of logic you might understand. Hell, it might not even be logic to begin with.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I like how people say that one Dwemer underground cavern you go into to find an Elder Scroll was a good dungeon. It was big, yeah, but there was jack poo poo in it. Maybe if there was actually poo poo to do in there, I'd have loved it.

blackreach? that massive zone with its own worldspace that has almost no unique loot except some alchemy poo poo?

I remember getting there shortly after release I thought whoa holy poo poo this is gonna be some ARG mystery poo poo or some crazy quest line to summon real actual dwarves or something

nope just empty cavern with leveled enemies :downs:

I guess after TR's Kemel-Ze nothing is going to come close to labyrinthine madness

mbt fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 4, 2015

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

raid progression in wow is getting out of hand

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
The whole dwemer ruin part of the main story in skyrim was such a tremendous bummer since they found a way to make such a cool place so bland and lifeless.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm honestly really curious as to what people who propelled Skyrim to the top of the charts are like. I think Skyrim is ok; fun to mod, but vanilla is ungodly boring. Yet I see reviews and YouTube comments and poo poo saying words like "epic" to describe it. Maybe I should watch some Let's Plays or some poo poo of people playing Skyrim and see what poo poo they do.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm honestly really curious as to what people who propelled Skyrim to the top of the charts are like. I think Skyrim is ok; fun to mod, but vanilla is ungodly boring. Yet I see reviews and YouTube comments and poo poo saying words like "epic" to describe it. Maybe I should watch some Let's Plays or some poo poo of people playing Skyrim and see what poo poo they do.

bethesda did everything in their power to make skyrim as accessible as possible and provide "epic" moments throughout the game.
step one: make combat easy but flashy, see: the beginning of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMcVZQI6ybw
step two: choose as broadly accessible a setting as possible. Western european dragon landscape? Check.
step three: be the sequel to oblivion

and there you go, write yourself a billion dollar check

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

heavily promoted, the initial moments of the game are pretty alright and that's what people who actually bothered to check ahead saw, there's a ton of different poo poo to do in theory, it looks nice

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
i like how in skyrim when you get to some high point or setpiece your follower will be like "woah that's impressive" so that you the player know that this is cool and you should be impressed :D

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

You've been a good thread to me. That means something.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ive been playing skyrim for the past couple days and i think its only really boring if you compare it to morrowind which set an insanely high standard for worldbuilding

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i dont like how melee weapons are just fists, one hander, two hander. bows are just bows/crossbows and the crossbow was a dlc thing

the entire dark souls weapon set has been added to skyrim by someone on tesgeneral and it's completely useless b/c you can't do anything interesting with the weapons so you're swinging a rapier like a longsword

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Speaking of Dark Souls I like this mod which lets you two-hand one-handed weapons and vice versa.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58973/

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Frog Act posted:

ive been playing skyrim for the past couple days and i think its only really boring if you compare it to morrowind which set an insanely high standard for worldbuilding

I disagree.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Frog Act posted:

Skyrim's world wasn't just "not quite up to par with Morrowind's." It was bland, boring, and empty by pretty much any standard.

It was Morrowind Ultra: The Morrowindening compared to Oblivion though.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I am glad that Bethesda is now forced to use Valenwood, Alinor, Elsweyr, Black Marsh, or Hammerfell in TES VI.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
when the gently caress are we gonna get The Elder Scrolls: AkaVIr

6 ia built into the goddamn name

Tamriel is boring bullshit aside from maybe alinor and def morrowind

bethesda devs: "you know what would make for a lovely setting? rabid monkeys and snow tiger demons and hyper elite nipponese men clinging to prophecy of the dragonborn. better make the most generic uninspired poo poo ever instead :unsmigghh:

500 AD Scandanavian culture OH BOY this is super killer and new

gently caress any tamriel province give us a new continent filled with demons and a cat that managed to CHIM his way into becoming a legit dragon

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If they did a game set in Akavir it would literally just be feudal Japan.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I am glad that Bethesda is now forced to use Valenwood, Alinor, Elsweyr, Black Marsh, or Hammerfell in TES VI.

no one gives a poo poo about nerdy human being scrolls

its gonna be called "skyrim 2"

Minarchist posted:

bethesda devs: "you know what would make for a lovely setting? rabid monkeys and snow tiger demons and hyper elite nipponese men clinging to prophecy of the dragonborn. better make the most generic uninspired poo poo ever instead :unsmigghh:

they made hundreds of millions of dollars doing generic "sure bets". they'll never gamble on morrowind again

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Fister Roboto posted:

Mortimer posted:

they made hundreds of millions of dollars doing generic "sure bets". they'll never gamble on morrowind again

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :suicide:

Dec 26, 2012

the elder scrolls V-2

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

01011001 posted:

the elder scrolls V-2

i would like a khajiit dress sphere

Dec 26, 2012

if only

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Anybody know what Morrowind is like in TESO?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Fister Roboto posted:

Anybody know what Morrowind is like in TESO?

if its like the rest of teso assume Bad, Bland, and Boring

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9A6QHLIWg0

Fun fact: the whole "this is all stuff we did in a week" was mostly bullshit; a lot of this stuff is cut content that never made it to the finish line because they decided to go with the gimmicky 11/11/11 release date.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

God that last blurb is so depressing. "What if we were this creative and innovative ALL THE TIME???"

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Minarchist posted:

when the gently caress are we gonna get The Elder Scrolls: AkaVIr

6 ia built into the goddamn name

Tamriel is boring bullshit aside from maybe alinor and def morrowind

500 AD Scandanavian culture OH BOY this is super killer and new

gently caress any tamriel province give us a new continent filled with demons and a cat that managed to CHIM his way into becoming a legit dragon

lol if you think bethesda's problem is choosing boring settings rather than just loving it up. remember that they retconed cyrodil from a crazy rainforest into generic western europe.

before morrowind came out, im pretty sure there wasn't any interesting lore behind the place, it was just there's dark elves, there's a volcano, and barenziah exists. it wasn't the fact that this place called morrowind was chosen as the setting that made the game morrowind awesome, the crew that made it could have picked any place in the elder scrolls and made it just as interesting as the morrowind we know. skyrim's expansion dragonborn demonstrates this because even though it rips all sorts of poo poo right out of morrowind, it's still just as uninteresting as the rest of skyrim.

tl;dr choosing akavir as the setting for the next game won't make it any more interesting than oblivion/skyrim. if you set out to create generic fantasy bullshit then you will end up with generic fantasy bullshit

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Fister Roboto posted:

id b down with this if it was actual feudal japan and not anime feudal japan

oh, right

Dec 26, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

id b down with this if it was actual feudal japan and not anime feudal japan

oh, right

you will find that feudal japan is actually a temperate european forest

who knew

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Fister Roboto posted:

God that last blurb is so depressing. "What if we were this creative and innovative ALL THE TIME???"

that's a cry for help

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Minarchist posted:

if its like the rest of teso assume Bad, Bland, and Boring
Hey, now. There's lava, ash, Ordinators and Cliff Racers. It's at least visually interesting. :v:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

01011001 posted:

you will find that feudal japan is actually a temperate european forest

who knew

see it was chim all along

but we dont want deeper meanings (even if theyre dumb), kids might not get that so instead we'll just leave it at "it always was"

now fill my bittercup with your spear of bitter mercy oniichan

radintorov posted:

Hey, now. There's Ordinators

wait really? I thought teso was in the 1st age or something? the tribunal got their poo poo together quickly I guess, from god to cult in seconds chim

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mortimer posted:

wait really? I thought teso was in the 1st age or something? the tribunal got their poo poo together quickly I guess, from god to cult in seconds chim

2nd Era, actually, post Reman's empire.

Also, found out something neat about Skyrim. You know that statue of Talos looking all badass while driving his sword through the mouth of a serpent?

Check out the shrine to Akatosh.

DEEPEST LORE

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Good god this thread is worse than the official forums.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Bholder posted:

Good god this thread is worse than the official forums.

I have been feeling it's been going on for too long. We've been retreading a lot of old topics, and that's just boring as gently caress. Any fun that we could get out of this has been extracted by now, I reckon.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I have been feeling it's been going on for too long. We've been retreading a lot of old topics, and that's just boring as gently caress. Any fun that we could get out of this has been extracted by now, I reckon.

The fun never stops, with Morrowind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

so give it to page 200, or close it now, either way. you have the capability to do something about it

• Locked thread