Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST

what the hell are you playing as, an orc or some poo poo? if you start as a breton with destruction as a major, you will never fail to cast a low level spell even at zero fatigue, and you start with fire bite.

becrumbac posted:

the dagoth ur fight kinda sucked

but it was kinda on the level of how dagoth ur kinda sucked, so.

(the real climax is meeting vivec, right?)

agreed, the final battle sucks. but i never cared much about the story or even the quests, since morrowind's strengths are in getting lost in the wilderness and exploring caves and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

becrumbac posted:

(the real climax is killing vivec, right?)

FTFY

King of Internet
Nov 16, 2013

High King Internet of Internet
I love Skyrim as much as the next mid-20s white male but good lord is Morrowind overrated

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

DoctorStrangelove posted:

*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST

you're the reason we have hour long tutorials that hold your hand every step of the way

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

isn't that what the sermons are? asking you to kill him? because me maybe killed nerevar?

morrowind is a good game

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

King of Internet posted:

I love Skyrim as much as the next mid-20s white male but good lord is Morrowind overrated

the blandness of skyrim and oblivion makes it seem better in hindsight

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

becrumbac posted:

isn't that what the sermons are? asking you to kill him? because me maybe killed nerevar?

almalexia killed nerevar, as is made blatantly obvious through the tribunal expansion when she reveals herself to be completely loving insane.

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

the blandness of skyrim and oblivion makes it seem better in hindsight

ehhh, skyrim's not so bad, though i have an admitted soft spot for taiga-type poo poo. it's a decent enough world to run around in, and the completely optional diy poo poo was a lot more fun to me than it should have been. i still prefer morrowind to it, but i feel confident in calling skyrim a good game and an unprecedented giant leap from oblivion, the most bland game ever made.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
Try to finish Morrowind without a walkthrough. I hope you enjoy spending hours in each dungeon going back and forth looking for a little cog on a shelf that's necessary to advance the game

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

If you find me witty, perhaps you'll enjoy my Oblivion let's play.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
ARLOWE

BANHAMMER

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

quote:

The ending of the words is AUTISM.

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

almalexia killed nerevar, as is made blatantly obvious through the tribunal expansion when she reveals herself to be completely loving insane.

it was pretty obvious one of them did it, and vivecs rear end-about-tit way of telling you 'what's up',(the sermons) wasn't really all that helpful

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lightanchor posted:

Try to finish Morrowind without a walkthrough. I hope you enjoy spending hours in each dungeon going back and forth looking for a little cog on a shelf that's necessary to advance the game

it's me

i'm the mages guild quests to sulipund and punabi that are given to you in the form of vague, incorrect directions

this is also me

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

ehhh, skyrim's not so bad, though i have an admitted soft spot for taiga-type poo poo. it's a decent enough world to run around in, and the completely optional diy poo poo was a lot more fun to me than it should have been. i still prefer morrowind to it, but i feel confident in calling skyrim a good game and an unprecedented giant leap from oblivion, the most bland game ever made.

world looks nice, everything in it is cringeworthy

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

i've played all three on release and was really loving hyped for oblivion when it came out and basically hold this opinion

but you know what will really blow your mind?

i have seen people unironically say oblivion is the best game, and also that skyrim and morrowind are poo poo

it's a fascinatingly bad opinion, on so many levels

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Penguingo posted:

this is also me

i believe this creature was inspired by goons tbh

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

If you find me witty, perhaps you'll enjoy my Oblivion let's play.

e:fb

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

why walk when you can roll

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Oblivion is worse than Daggerfall.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Skyrim is a good game. I've played probably 100, maybe 200 hours of it with mods.

Morrowind is a great game. When I was a teenager I probably played it for almost a year straight.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

soscannonballs posted:

Oblivion is worse than Daggerfall.

daggerfall at least has the fact that it was a really impressive game in its day going for it. there is absolutely nothing redeeming at all about oblivion.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec: Sermon Six

You have discovered the sixth Sermon of Vivec, which was hidden in the words that came next to the Hortator.

There is an eon within itself that when unraveled becomes the first sentence of the world.

Mephala and Azura are the twin gates of tradition and Boethiah is the secret flame.

The Sun shall be eaten by lions, which cannot be found yet in Veloth.

Six are the vests and garments worn by the suppositions of men.

Proceed only with the simplest terms, for all others are enemies and will confuse you.

Six are the formulas to heaven by violence, one that you have learned by studying these words.

The Father is a machine and the mouth of a machine. His only mystery is an invitation to elaborate further.

The Mother is active and clawed like a nix-hound, yet she is the holiest of those that reclaim their days.

The Son is myself, Vehk, and I am unto three, six, nine, and the rest that come after, glorious and sympathetic, without borders, utmost in the perfections of this world and the others, sword and symbol, pale like gold.

There is a fourth kind of philosophy that uses nothing but disbelief.

For by the sword I mean the sensible.

For by the word I mean the dead.

I am Vehk, your protector and the protector of Red Mountain until the end of days, which are numbered 3333.

Below me is the savage, which we needed to remove ourselves from the Altmer.

Above me is a challenge, which bathes itself in fire and the essence of a god.

Through me you are desired, unlike the prophets that have borne your name before.

Six are the walking ways, from enigma to enemy to teacher.

Boethiah and Azura are the principles of the universal plot, which is begetting, which is creation, and Mephala makes of it an art form.

For by the sword I mean the first night.

For by the word I mean the dead.

There will be a splendor in your name when it is said to be true.

Six are the guardians of Veloth, three before and they are born again, and they will test you until you have the proper tendencies of the hero.

There is a world that is sleeping and you must guard against it.

For by the sword I mean the dual nature.

For by the word I mean animal life.

For by the sword I mean preceded by a sigh.

For by the word I mean preceded by a wolf.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

the battle of red mountain was an inside job. wake up sheeple

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
VIVEC LIED NEREVAR DIED

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
morrowin: keeping daedroth locked in temple basements all day every day

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Don't care if this has been posted already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-XMtNEudQ

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Kellsterik posted:

Don't care if this has been posted already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-XMtNEudQ

I posted it in the OP :colbert:. You are far too late.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

It's just not the same without the sound effect of him falling.

http://youtu.be/iJq0iXOwb9Y?t=23s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

One of the Gothic DVD games starts with the wisdom: "Each Event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the Hero, there is no Event." One can easily translate this obscure wisdom in Marxist terms: "The general outlines of each revolutionary event can be foretold by social theorists; however, this event can effectively take place only if there is a revolutionary subject." Or, as Badiou would have put it: "Only if there is a subject, an Event can occur within an evental site."
http://www.lacan.com/zizbadman.htm

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

My god. It all loops together. Zizek was the subject of a movie called Zizek!, made by Astra Taylor. Astra Taylor is the wife of Jeff Mangum, lead singer of Neutral Milk Hotel. Jeff Mangum is my avatar. Zizek attributed a quote from Morrowind, my favorite game, to Gothic.

I was born to make this thread.

I see all now.

I see that I am and am not, which is to say I have seen the Wheel become a Tower.

I ARE ALL WE

AE CHIM NU-MEN NU-MANTIA

Distortoise
Dec 29, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

It's just not the same without the sound effect of him falling.

http://youtu.be/iJq0iXOwb9Y?t=23s
AIEEG HUEHUAHUE! AIUUEH

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SunAndSpring posted:

AE CHIM NU-MEN NU-MANTIA
Holy poo poo I just blew your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5wkQm6B44

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lyKxKn_WsE

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elman posted:

why walk when you can roll

we pierce a special nip, just for you

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec: Sermon Seven

As the caravan of Nerevar now made for the capital of Veloth, anon Almalexia, there came great rumblings from the oblivion. A duke among scamps wandered into the House of Troubles, pausing before each scripture door to pay his respects, until finally he was met by the major domo of Mehrunes Dagon.

The Duke of Scamps said, 'I was summoned by Lord Dagon, master of the foul waters and fire, and I have brought the pennants of my seven legions.'

The major domo, whose head was a bubble of foul water and fire, bowed low, so that the head of the Duke of Scamps became enclosed in his own.

He saw the first pennant, which commanded a legion of grim warriors who could die at least twice.

He saw the second pennant, which commanded a legion of winged bulls and the emperor of color that rode upon each.

He saw the third pennant, which commanded a legion of inverted gorgons, great snakes whose scales were the faces of men.

He saw the fourth pennant, which commanded a legion of double-crossed lovers.

He saw the fifth pennant, which commanded a legion of jumping wounds looking to hop onto a victim.

He saw the sixth pennant, which commanded a legion of abridged planets.

He saw the seventh pennant, which commanded a legion of armored winning moves.

To which the major domo said, 'Duke Kh-Utta, your legions while mighty are not enough to destroy Nerevar or the Triune way. Look upon the Hortator and see the wisdom he takes to wife.'

And they looked into the middle world and saw:

Evaporating in a throng of thunder
Of red war and chitin men,
Where destines
Take him further from our ways
The heat that we have wanted
And pray they still remember,
Where destines
Clothe the distance,
Glad in the golden east that we saw it now,
Instead of the war and repair
Of the oblivious fracture
A curse on the Hortator
And two more on his hands

And the Duke of Scamps saw the palms of the Hortator, upon which the egg had written these words of power:

GHARTOK PADHOME GHARTOK PADHOME.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i never cared much about the story or even the quests, since morrowind's strengths are in getting lost in the wilderness and exploring caves and poo poo.

The same is true of skyrim but the existence of fast travel kind of railroads you into doing as little exploring as possible. It's a lot more fun to replay imo if you use an alternate start mod and disable fast travel because there's a lot of loving wilderness and caves and there's some really goofy poo poo off the beaten path and in the random encounters.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gggiiimmmppp posted:

The same is true of skyrim but the existence of fast travel kind of railroads you into doing as little exploring as possible. It's a lot more fun to replay imo if you use an alternate start mod and disable fast travel because there's a lot of loving wilderness and caves and there's some really goofy poo poo off the beaten path and in the random encounters.

i already don't use any fast travel aside from the caravans and don't need mods for it because self control is a thing. the only real downside is how enemies have so much drat health, so walking from point a to point be is always extended by several minutes because i ran into a bear that took 30 hits to kill. the combat in skyrim is so fuckin annoying and unfun, worse than morrowind.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

and one more for the night:

The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec: Sermon Eight

And presently Nerevar and Vivec were within sight of the capital and the Four Corners of the House of Troubles knew that it was not time to contest them. The caravan musicians made a great song of entrance and the eleven gates of the Mourning Hold were thrown wide.

Ayem was accompanied by her husband-state, a flickering image that was channeled to her ever-changing female need. Around her were the Shouts, a guild now forgotten, who carried with them the whims of the people, for the Velothi then were still mostly good at heart. The Shouts were the counselors of Ayem and the country, though they sometimes quarreled and needed Seht to wring them into usefulness. Ayem approached Nerevar, who was by now adorned in the flags of House Indoril. He gifted her with the simulacrum of the netchiman's wife and the egg of Vivec inside.

Ayem said to Nerevar, 'Seht who is Azura has revealed that war is come and that the Hortator that shall deliver us will approach with a solution walking at his side.'

Nerevar said, 'I have traveled out of my way to warn you of the deceit of our enemies, the Dwemer, but I have learned much on the journey and have changed my mind. This netchiman's wife you see at my side is a sword and a symbol and there is prophecy inside. It tells me that, like it, we must for awhile be like he is and, as a people, cloaked in our former enemies, and to use their machines without shame.'

At which Vivec spoke aloud, 'Boethiah-who-is-you wore the skin of Trinimac to cleanse the faults of Veloth, my Queen, and so it should be again. This is the walking way of the glorious.'

Seht appeared out of a butt of iron vapor and his minions made of their blood a chair. He sat beside Ayem and looked on the rebirth of mastery.

Vivec said to them, his Triune:

'My rituals and ordeals and all the rhymes within,
Use no other motive than the revelation of my skin.'

Ayem said, 'AYEM AE SEHTI AE VEHK. We are delivered and made whole, the diamond of the Black Hands is uncovered.'

Seht said, 'Wherever so he treads, there is invisible scripture.'

To which the Shouts were silent in sudden reading.

Vivec then reached out from the egg all his limbs and features, merging with the simulacrum of his mother, gilled and blended in all the arts of the star-wounded East, under water and in fire and in metal and in ash, six times the wise, and he became the union of male and female, the magic hermaphrodite, the martial axiom, the sex-death of language and unique in all the middle world.

He said, 'Let us now guide the hands of the Hortator in war and its aftermath. For we go different, and in thunder. This is our destiny.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i already don't use any fast travel aside from the caravans and don't need mods for it because self control is a thing. the only real downside is how enemies have so much drat health, so walking from point a to point be is always extended by several minutes because i ran into a bear that took 30 hits to kill. the combat in skyrim is so fuckin annoying and unfun, worse than morrowind.

well an alternate start mod will start you somewhere else in the world with assets/faction standings appropriate to some other situation and most importantly postpones the main questline until you want to start it, which is cool because then you can actually buy a horse and it won't constantly get ganked by dragons. The one I used last lets you choose between a few backgrounds like owning property in a hold or having been robbed and left for dead in the middle of nowhere and then you can just play it by ear wherever you wind up.

I only used a mod to disable fast travel because that mod was Frostfall which adds another dimension to the exploration anyway. I'd also recommend Realistic Needs and Diseases which meshes well with Frostfall. It's pretty dumb to be anti-mod because there are some great mods for things like racials and perks/skills and spells which are better thought out than what shipped with the game and add a lot of depth that's missing otherwise.

Also I'm pretty sure the first mod I ever got for a game was the one that made the cliff racers passive so i know my poo poo

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 10, 2014

• Locked thread