Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Distortoise posted:

I don't remember if this was a problem with Morrowind, but in Skyrim I would often stumble in to some random interesting place I found (or, you know, a hallway) and reach the end only to find out tha I was supposed to have found this place via a quest given somewhere else entire, usually a nearby town. I remember finding one place that I got to the end of and discovering I was supposed to have gone here with a random plot trinket called a Lexicon I would have gotten from some random gently caress in town. It basically put you in the mindset of ignoring discovered ruins until you are supposed to go to them by way of arbitrary instruction.

That's not what ruins should be like. They should be interesting locales in their own right that you can then explore upon finding yourself and find within whatever purpose they serve.

Well that's the side effect you get with wanting to have hundreds of hours of "gameplay," a lot of locations are purpose made for one or two unimportant little sidequests. (I would say fetch quests, but even the main storyline is pretty much a bunch of fetch quests) Try to make every dungeon unique and interesting enough to be worth going thru just for the sake of enjoying its design, and not to kill monsters for exp or as part of a quest, and you're gonna run out of ideas pretty quick. If they kept you from being able to enter a zillion random little dungeons or caves unless the quest was initiated or you got the key, the game just wouldn't have the same sandbox feel.

It really doesn't seem to me like morrowind's dungeons were made in a different way than in Blivio or Skyrim, i.e. I'm pretty sure there's some sort of grid based level editor the company made for itself and designers can pretty much drag and drop rooms and tunnels into the level, then add details to make each room seem unique. In fact morrowind's dungeons seemed very much like a lot of the same thing, to such a degree that it was easy to get lost due to lack of detail or variety in the graphics, in the same was as the first Metroid.

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

its more a state of mind than an actual mod

• Locked thread