Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Protagonist posted:

gently caress these are cool. A morrowind reboot would almost certainly be better than anything new they tried to hash out without Kirk. Hell, even a post-oblivion, smashed-moon, blown-up-supervolcano, torn-to-shreds-by-argonians, post-apocalyptic-morrowind could be rad as hell.

This would be completely awesome but you and I both know that the current video games industry is far, far too lame to ever produce anything that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I love Morrowind not just because of the bizarre alien world and cultures, but because it's basically an RPG garry's mod. You can do and be literally anything within the context of the game world. If you see a humanoid NPC in the game, with the exception of less than a handful, you can absolutely create a character that can eventually become an exact 1:1 copy of that NPC and within the constraints of that character's personality, have a completely fulfilling and unique gameplay experience.

I think if more games took the philosophy of "don't make a game, make a world and let the player fit into it wherever he may," we could have a lot more Morrowind-likes out there.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I remember the first time I played through a quest where an NPC was like "you need to give this other NPC a poetry book cause he likes poetry." So I went out and just explored until I found a random merchant with a few books sitting around, read through a few of them until I found one with like 2 random stanzas of poetry in the middle, then bought the book and tried to give it to the dude, and he loving accepted it and the quest went on.

It was such a mundane thing but holy loving poo poo was I excited about not being led around by the diaper to one very specific poetry book with ~*~POETRY~*~ written in big loving font on the front with a big fat waypoint over it and no other book would do, but instead I was just told "hey go find a book with criteria X or whatever, you're on your own," and I did... and it worked.

Hell maybe it was all an illusion but just the feeling of having a quest designed to let you step off the rails for a second was incredible. Contrast that with everything Bethesda and the majority of games have done since and you realize how cool this actually was.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 26, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

kazr posted:

i'm legit excited for openmw. gonna get my mod on up all in that optimized engine. the possibility of a functioning online mode, makin quests and environments n poo poo to play with friends is just too much.

never thought openmw would get so far and actually have some sort of realistic release date

Yeah, me too.

The biggest thing I can hope for is, unfortunately, one hell of a big thing, but I want to see a combat engine revamp. Specifically a melee system overhaul.

Personally I think a dice-roll MMO type system of auto-attack with active abilities on top (abilities like Mana Spender Extra Hard Hit, bleed over time, mitigation debuffs, personal shout buffs, etc) with a global cooldown system and the whole shebang would be ideal because it seems like it would be the easiest to implement and the most engaging on a moment to moment basis.

I mean in a perfect world I think I'd rather see a melee system that's an animation-dependent, stamina-using Dark Souls type system but come on let's be real.

After than, a customizable XML based UI overhaul would be pretty dandy.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 26, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cromulent posted:

I will say that the one dumbed-down aspect of Skyrim that I did like is the lack of weapon/armor degradation. I hated being in the middle of nowhere, with a 20% sword and no repair hammers and being chased by cliff racers.

Heh. I personally hated that. The game completely showers you in the same repetitive loot the whole time and gives you an armorer skill. In other words it was practically built around weapons being throw-away tools you use and discard.

Basically I think a degradation system would have added a ton of good tension and player agency but with basically no real drawbacks because the resources were so plentiful.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I'd like for Bethesda to go to Valenwood next but lol at their ability to do forests.

If Bethesda ever finds the ability to do gigantic WoW-esque forests where the canopy is a hundred feet high and so thick you can barely see through it, while lots of area under that is actually huge open space, I'll get excited about tromping around through the woods in Nirn, but it's Bethesda, so who knows if they'll get anywhere close to that without trying to add like 6 orders of magnitude more polygons.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

thehumandignity posted:

I guess what I'm saying here is that gameplay is really a secondary aspect to this game, it's the world-building and atmosphere that make it one of the best games ever made. In terms of being an electronic toy where the goal is to mark quests as complete, kill progressively stronger things, and make numbers go up, it is a pathetically broken piece of poo poo.

This is absolutely true. Morrowind is brilliant because it is absolutely nothing more than a totally open sandbox for your own imagination with some cool lore behind it to get you started. It's really makes me scratch my head thinking that video games could be like this in general but are not. Instead they continue being linear "virtual movies" devoid of any real deviation from the ~author's vision~ that take you from A>-B>-C-> D-or-E ->F->G, etc. when their very nature sets them up to be so much more capable than that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 28, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Hog Butcher posted:

You can't pay gold to guards, they take you to prison no matter what. edit: You can pay but you still get pulled to the nearest prison for... I dunno, it's the closest automated teller mudcrab

edit:

Some things actually look good

I saw the thumbnail version of this pic and wandered what game it was from, seeing how it couldn't possibly be Oblivion because the person in it looks at least remotely human and not at all like a potato. Okay well he looks a little like a potato but not an Oblivion potato.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Averrences posted:

why the gently caress are people talking about morroblivion when skywind is just around the corner? :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S18hdJ55ryY

looks neat so far

All this video really tells me is that all Morrowind really needs is an improved animation engine to maintain its GOTYAY status.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The first syllable in Morrowind rhymes with "car."

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
How loving cool is a game that has its own profanity that actually sounds hilarious yet impactful when you say or read it. Goddamn.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

LaTex Fetish posted:

If Bethesda didn't even make Oblivion or Skyrim, how would be talk about Morrowind?

Would it be just another really good RPG since we never had Oblivion to make Morrowind look better in comparison?

You have it backwards. Oblivion was viewed as being dogshit specifically because it was compared to Morrowind, already known at the time for being one of the most kick rear end RPGs ever created. And, you know, because it actually was dogshit. It was just that the shadow of Morrowind made it appear even shittier.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

skyrim fixed this by giving the telvanni towers a magical elevator that anyone can use, which was thoughtful :)

That was such crap, too.

I remember my first Morrowind playthrough. I was a non-mage and when I got to that telvanni tower and was told by one of the mages there that if you're a filthy non magic user who can't levitate well then tough tits for you. So I went out of my way, off on my own, leaving the main quest for a while to go and find a scroll of flight. This was its own adventure in itself and finally getting a scroll and flying my rear end up to the top of that tower was the most rewarding thing ever. It is basically the best example of the kind of "here's a problem, use what you've learned about the big wide world we've built for you to eek out a solution" emergent gameplay example I can think of. But gently caress that, let's just bypass that cool experience all together and make in an instant zero effort thing instead, which also by the way cheapens the perceived power, mystery, and elusiveness of the Telvanni, too. But whatever, games are hard. Better make the easier.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Yeah, lovely UIs to me are just inexcusable. They are the primary way you interact with the systems of game you are playing, second in importance over literally every other aspect of the game only to what it feels like to directly control your character/party.

A brilliantly designed matrix of game systems and mechanics hidden under a bad UI equates to a lovely game experience, which equates to a lovely game, period. A mediocre set of systems and mechanics with a brilliant UI and fantastic character/party/camera control equals at least a mediocre if not good game, just because of that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

I never played Skyrim. Didn't want to experience the logical extension away from MW that Oblivion started. That long rear end critique of how hard Bethesda hosed up the Thieves Guild has me convinced that the DB questline in Oblivion was a giant fluke, and that they don't even 'get' their own games. The only future Beth game I will even consider will be whatever the sequel to Fallout 4 is, and only then if they hand the writing over to Obsidian, because Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone loving get it.

Skyrim was what Oblivion wanted to be, basically. It's definitely not in the same league as Morrowind, but then again almost nothing is. I do think a heavily modded Skyrim is worth a play through though, especially if you can get it cheap. The game world is really beautiful and there's tons to see and lots to do. The main and faction quests aren't much, but the game does have its moments here and there.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Imagine this game:

mechanics = Blizzard
world/level creation = Bethesda
story = Valve

I think I've got a pretty good half-chub going on right now.

edit: yeah Kirkbride for lore and universe building

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is open source Morrowind supposed to be coming out anytime soon? The only thing that's really left to do to make Morrowind fully modernized is to update the animations and the combat system. As soon as open source Morrowind comes out people should be able to get right on that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Balmora is a given. It's the first big city you get to, it's got a bunch of cool stuff in it, it's located in a great spot, convenient throughout the entire game, etc.

2nd favorite city? I've always liked Suran. It has a neat verticality to it and then there was the stripclub, which was always neat because the game came out in 2002 when only Duke Nuken 3D had strip clubs and because teenage me thought that having strip clubs in video games was edgy and cool.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 17, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Serious post has there ever been another game with this much lore behind it and this interesting of a world?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

I dunno, I guess in a world where you can manipulate the most fundamental forces of reality I would expect it to be used for something more than hurling fireballs at one another and making sword hit harder. like maybe growing crops, communication networks, relegating menial tasks to constructs/summons, weird impossible architecture.

Im also not saying that Morrowind is free of all these tropes, but at least they don't take the central stage most of the time. I mean cmon, it has cat people and lizard people, the two laziest 'alien' races ever conceived

It's kind of funny that "magic" is really just a word for when intelligent fantasy creatures unlock the secrets of their respective universe's physical laws though experimentation and elimination. Hmm what other modern system does that sound like?

Under that definition, there's really nothing "magic" about it. It's science! It's technology. How is building an electronic machine, which is basically a carefully planned and organized series of wires and relays that manipulates the flow of electricity in a repeatable and predictable way, any different from chanting some words and waving your hands in a carefully planned and organized way to control the flow of natural forces to make a fireball or whatever.

Magic is literally just fantasy science.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 21, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
If somebody would just get Open Morrowind and update the melee combat to either be like Dark Souls where every swing has a set animation that must be followed through or hell just add weapon speeds to every weapon and put in auto-attack and tab targeting, an MMO hotbar, and global cooldowns for our spells and abilities, we'd have the perfect game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

dark souls is not the ultimate combat style and i don't get why people want to ape it, ever

Because it is amazing have you not played the game? Personally I think it's the most fun and engaging third person combat system I've ever used for just pure third person melee, basically just for the fact that it does the best job of making you wait for an opening and then exploiting that opening. For 1st person though, DMoMM had fantastic melee combat system also. I'd be fine with that too. Basically anything that increases the requirement for reactivity and situational awareness and produces a higher risk/reward system over what Morrowind gave us would be just tops. That viking game, Rune, from years ago had a fun melee system. It was like a more casual Dark Souls where you could move around freely while you swung your weapon around, each one having different damage numbers and animations.

Morrowind melee strategy is to walk up to the thing you're fighting, then just stand there and pretty much stampede all over your left mouse button with no other thoughts going through your head until one of you dies. I think the game deserves better than that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 22, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

zen death robot posted:

Dark Souls just came across as extremely tedious to me. Is that the point or did I miss something?

Different strokes I guess. I've always thought it was pretty much the least tedious game I've ever played. I mean sure, it can be tedious in that you sometimes have to do the same content over and over because you die and have to restart, but if you don't die it's one of the most tightly designed games with the least amount of empty filler content out there.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
First of all, "taint ferreting" is a perfect description and should henceforth be the de facto description for Dark Souls combat forever.

Second, if it were up to me, and I'm sure some folks would disagree, I'd just make Morrowind's combat, melee and spells, into a full on tab target hotbar MMO system with auto-attack where the primary fun would be to stack a bunch of synergising effects onto enemies and watch their health drop faster than yours while your character and the enemy automatically swing at each other. I'd add some abilities for melee players though like cripple, bleed effects, and active strike abilites so combat wouldn't be just "auto-attack, stand there."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 22, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

i loving _hate_ mmo style combat, if i'm hitting someone i want to be the one hitting the hitman button

MMO combat is like that though. I mean, it's obviously not quite as tactile as Street Fighter but when you hit the hitman button, your dude will swing at the other guy, and it will cause big sound and graphical effects just as satisfying as anything else. The only difference is that with MMO combat, auto attack is on to just simulate two dudes kinda sparring along in the background while you're thinking about poo poo, and the big hits come from active abilities you directly cause.

Have you ever actually played WoW? Playing a Warrior class, for example, is pretty cool. It's been a few years since I've played, but basically you press a few buttons to activate an attack/movement speed debuff or two on your opponent to weaken them, then you press a button that causes bleed damage over time, then you can press buttons that do big, immediate damage on top of the debuff and DoT effects and watch the flashy visual and sound effects of your abilities happen and huge damage numbers pop up on the screen while your enemy's health bar melts away. Oh and if you're doing that with other enemies around you can press other buttons to snare or disable them while you're taking care of business with the first dude, making you feel like a badass master of the battlefield.

It's cool man.

01011001 posted:

if i wanted mmo style combat in an open world game id just play a drat mmo

alternatively: you may be the one person teso was designed for

teso wasn't designed for anybody ever.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 22, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is there a mod that puts life bars and level numbers above NPC/enemy heads?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Mortimer posted:

hey this is a really good twenty three minute video on why morrowind is still awesome in 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf0jiOpD-AQ

if you have the time its actually worth a watch, the guy brings up good points and its mainly an explanation on why "skywind" won't actually be morrowind (for reasons you all probably know)

anyway yeah watch it its pretty cool/good

This is a good and cool video.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I tried to. How is it different from Oblivion and Skyrim, which are also extremely boring. Sell me on the game damnit.

Along with a cool rear end story that is incredibly neato and that reveals itself through world and lore exploration as well as dialog exposition, the game kinda feels like if Garry's Mod were an RPG. It's just a completely open sandbox where you can do and be literally anything you want within the context of the world. Every piece or armor and weapon you see a character wearing or sitting in a shop is actually a physical game object and can be taken from them and worn by you, even at level 1. You can kill anything in the game that owns a home or business, then take that thing's home or business for yourself and you can store all your poo poo there. You can create your own spells in the game using effect type, damage, aoe, duration sliders, etc and combine as many effects into a single spell as you can afford to create and have the mana to cast. If you know where to look you can find the best armor in the game and equip it before you do literally anything else. The world is strange, mysterious, beautiful, and cool as hell. Even if you don't do anything else, it's just awesome to walk around in the world.

Also there are graphical overhauls that make it look as good as Skyrim at least... except for animations. Those are doomed to look like crap until Open Morrowind comes out and somebody changes them.

Just play the game, Jesus.

zeal posted:

gettin horney in here

A Tittytar

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 26, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I think my favorite room in Morrowind is the hotel room in Shenk's Shovel in Caldera.

Aside from that, it has to be the Abu Manor mod that puts a pretty bitchin' house in Ald'Ruhn, but that doesn't really count.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Temaukel posted:

Nah, this is better I think:

aaaaaaand there it is

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So, when you guys reinstall Morrowind, or just play it because you've never not had it on your PC since May 1st, 2002, do you also install all the small extra official downloads listed here on Bethesda's site or do you ignore them? I've never tried any of them personally. Are they worth installing?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 4, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

The description is glorious.

"Realised there were literally no Floral models publically avaiable in mods, so I did this."

"...I did this."

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I also wouldn't mind a mod that rebalanced combat to max your to-hit chance at the cost of more stamina used per hit to balance it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Buck Turgidson posted:

I just found out today that there's no way to brew Skooma in Morrowind... my hopes of making drugs for the Cammona Tong have been crushed.

There is no way there's not some lovingly crafted mod that allows you to do exactly that out there.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I like the idea of recolor mods for Skyrim because the vanilla game is only very slightly more saturated than an actual black and white game, but making the buildings look like they're straight out of Mario64 maybe goes a bit too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Frog Act posted:

ive been playing skyrim for the past couple days and i think its only really boring if you compare it to morrowind which set an insanely high standard for worldbuilding

Skyrim's world wasn't just "not quite up to par with Morrowind's." It was bland, boring, and empty by pretty much any standard.

It was Morrowind Ultra: The Morrowindening compared to Oblivion though.

• Locked thread