Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Raineko posted:

hell is real

lowtax is actually satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
also some nerds remade the morrowind engine from scratch so you can play a non-poo poo version of it or something

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Yaldabaoth posted:

"We're too lazy to fix it so <x> treat you differently if you play as one of them, let's just make up some dumb story-related excuse that's never once mentioned in the game itself"

--every bethesda game ever

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
hmm im literally hitler waging holy war on these high elf heretics

oh you're a high elf? kill this trivial mob and ill let u in on all my military secrets np

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
jiub ended the cliff racer menace, the saint patrick of morrowind

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Yaldabaoth posted:

Thousands of choices and each one just as irrelevant as the last

morrowind was the last tes game where you could legitimately break the main quest, get a second chance to backdoor it and break it permanently if you gently caress that up too

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

SunAndSpring posted:

Hitler did nothing wrong. Especially since the Jews want to destroy the entirety of the world and all of humanity by destroying the Aryan race and ending the worship of Jesus.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
skyrim is much more interesting if you subscribe to the unreliable narrator theory :ssh:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Crewmine posted:

Skyrim was ok though, Alduin's alright for a dragon.

im not sure if hes better or worse than the mustache twirler from oblivion

bethesda cant write villains for poo poo

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
https://openmw.org/en/

:ssh:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
there were only 2-3 door-like objects that you couldnt sequence break iirc

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Well that's the side effect you get with wanting to have hundreds of hours of "gameplay," a lot of locations are purpose made for one or two quests. Try to make every dungeon unique and interesting enough to be worth going thru just for the sake of enjoying its design, and not to kill monsters for exp or as part of a quest, and you're gonna run out of ideas pretty quick. If they kept you from being able to enter a zillion random little dungeons or caves unless the quest was initiated or you got the key, the game just wouldn't have the same sandbox feel.

It really doesn't seem to me like morrowind's dungeons were made in a different way than in Blivio or Skyrim, i.e. I'm pretty sure there's some sort of grid based level editor the company made for itself and designers can pretty much drag and drop rooms and tunnels into the level, then add details to make each room seem unique. In fact morrowind's dungeons seemed very much like a lot of the same thing, to such a degree that it was easy to get lost due to lack of detail or variety in the graphics, in the same was as the first Metroid.

There was copy-pasting, but a lot of dungeons weren't grid based at all. As opposed to Oblivion, where literally every dungeon was grid-based.

Not that it's much of an excuse, Nehrim uses the same engine as Oblivion, with the same grid-based mapping, and managed to create some rad looking dungeons and landscapes

bethesda is poo poo

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Cantorsdust posted:

Bethesda could make another game as good as Morrowind if they would rehire Kirkbride to write the story, hire the OpenMW guys to fix their loving engine, and hire the Nehrim guys to build the world. Make like Valve and turn modders into developers.

in other words bethesda could make a great game if they werent bethesda and bethesda didnt exist and valve bought the ip and did everything you just mentioned

i agree

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
also the openmw guys arent even professionals, theyre amateur programmers salvaging an ancient game

bethesda has loving carmack and a ton of well paid professionals working for them

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

DoctorStrangelove posted:

*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST
*FAILED TO CAST

you're the reason we have hour long tutorials that hold your hand every step of the way

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

King of Internet posted:

I love Skyrim as much as the next mid-20s white male but good lord is Morrowind overrated

the blandness of skyrim and oblivion makes it seem better in hindsight

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Cannot Find Server posted:

ehhh, skyrim's not so bad, though i have an admitted soft spot for taiga-type poo poo. it's a decent enough world to run around in, and the completely optional diy poo poo was a lot more fun to me than it should have been. i still prefer morrowind to it, but i feel confident in calling skyrim a good game and an unprecedented giant leap from oblivion, the most bland game ever made.

world looks nice, everything in it is cringeworthy

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Dr. Lenin posted:

Didn't they say something about it losing its power when it was last used in Morrowind or was my mind just making poo poo up to fill that dumb mistake

yes de-powering relics of previous games is bethesda's past time

FreudianSlippers posted:

I love that Telvanni wizards are such snobs that their towers have no stairs to ensure no non-levitating proles could possibly bother them.

and then in skyrim they add a press E to levitate prompt

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Talkc posted:

Also... is it me, or was the whole reason you meant poo poo at all in that game was cause you got cured of zombie aids?

you spent most of the game proving you were the nerevarine, who was supposed to be the first to be cured of zombie aids

so yes

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
you know what would be nice? the same thing for skyrim. motherfuckers, i eat dragons and save empires, and you fight over a loving tooth crown? :ssj:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Chum Scandal posted:

this is known as trayvoning the npc

:thurman:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

YourHealthyColon posted:

Peter, John and Mary Magdalene murder Jesus at the Last Supper in exchange for immortality, blame it on Judas, and then declare themselves living gods. Also Peter is a hermaphrodite.

peter was a huge rear end in a top hat, unlike vivec, who

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

The Protagonist posted:

Actually now that I think about it I'm really confused about the playerchars whole relationship with the empire at the beginning of the game. Like, you're a prisoner? But then they release you to go do freelance work and report in (or don't lol) at your leisure to a washed out drug addict?

Empire runs a tight ship I tell ya

The washed out drug addict is a high ranking Imperial CIA agent in charge of Vvardenfell operations

Also the other prisoner on the ship would later become Saint Jiub and drive Cliff Racers out of Morrowind

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

poptart_fairy posted:

what was those mods which made oblivion playable

check the games thread there should be a torrent full of mods that take a decade to install and configure properly

maybe youll actually play the game for a few minutes before realizing youre playing oblivion

or you could install nehrim like a loving sane person ityool 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
no seriously get this poo poo: http://www.sureai.de/projects/nehrim/

• Locked thread