Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Poniard posted:

I wish i could have the dagoth title in front of my name but it would sound lame

My actual name sounds rad as gently caress with dagaoth in front of it. But I find the idea of Dagoth Joe to be lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I legitimately want kirkbride to write everything for the next iteration of elder scrolls so that it becomes loving insane like E.Y.E or something. Look at how much cooler all the weird poo poo he contributed to the game vs the butt-rear end boring poo poo they have now. Bethesda makes incredibly cool worlds and then has no clue how to create gameplay or story. It's infuriating.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Morrowind is basically Africa complete with imperial conquest that exacerbates local tribal animosity for its own profit

Morrowind is. Cool as fuk

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

It's Nerevar after getting his feet and face cut off, as shown here:

Who's the guy in the ground? Dagoth Ur?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Also, lol if you don't kill vivec every time. What a piece of poo poo he was.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

scalded schlong posted:

almalexia was nerevar's wife first, wasn't she? then vekhs...

I feel like there was an allusion to an affair with divayth fyr somewhere in mournhold as well but I can't find it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I always thought the Tsaesci and Akaviri were the east asian analogues or at least the japanese ones. I guess I can see morrowind as China with all of the noble houses and poo poo planted and supported by the empire.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

saying that there is a prophecy that someone somewhere at sometime is going to kill a bunch of dudes is a really lame prophecy, gently caress the ashlanders and their lazy rear end soothsaying.

in general, the ashlanders were a bunch of manipulative desperate shitheads that deserved zero respect. loving wipe them out and let vvardenfel finally progress

*red mountain explodes*

hel yes

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I NEED TO gently caress THE GRANDMASTER

WHERES MY MOON SUGAR

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

One thing that molders love to do that is infuriating is to "fix" the game to some weird ideal of what the game is supposed to be like without any actual insight to what makes the game good or not. There are so many dumb immersion/realistic combat mods for skyrim that end up making the game incredibly stressful and generally unplayable. It's like, so I'm in the cold part of skyrim so I should put on a coat or whatever but the game was never made with this kind of immersion in mind. so while you are trying to be Jon snow and pretend you are freezing cold, the rest of the game is lightning paced to keep you moving through bethesdas lame theme park.

With morrowind the dumb poo poo modders do is to try and "balance" the game because to them they think that what makes a good game is that it's balanced like dark souls or the witcher. They take no context of the world into their myopic little mod and end up making something that's cool in concept but a chore in practice.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

And to answer the guys question who wanted to know the difference between morrowind and skyrim/oblivion is that the game is paced around you as a character and not the world itself. Morrowind is there for you to explore and dig into and come to your own conclusions. You can decide that almsivi are a bunch of gently caress heads who deserve to die or empathize with them. You can think that you actually are the preordained reincarnation of a demigod or that you are just a cleverly placed blind agent of the empire meant to solidify imperial control.

And the reason all this ambiguity works is because the game allows you to react. It sets out a series of systems by which you interact with the world and it doesn't break its rules for the sake of some lovely storyline a team of writers crapped out after watching game of thrones. Even when morrowind breaks its systemic rules it denotes something remarkable. Why doesn't Dagoth ur die from just thwapping him with a sword like everyone else? It's because he's tapped into the goddamn fabric of reality and is constantly regenerating.

If something like the moon floating over vivec city were to be in skyrim you would enter it after following a breadcrumb of story quests with big fat markers and unkillable NPCs littering the path (not to mention that these NPCs are bland and witless). In morrowind you can go up to that moon whenever if you have a levitation spell. Sure you might not have a story reason to be in there but you can do it anyway. Requiring a story beat to pop up to allow access to an area removes all agency from the player and places its bets on some set piece or voice actor to satiate the player.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

In short morrowind rules because of CHIM and you should explore vvardenfel and try to suss out what CHIM is

E: and if you don't and you think CHIM is dumb metaphysical pablum to satisfy idiots like us, the game gives you the potential to act on those beliefs without creating dissonance. It's loving super cool.

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 26, 2014

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

I do like doing things in the wrong order in Skyrim at the beginning so the mage guy is like "Hey, get the dragonstone" and you're all "does it look like... THIS?!"

That's literally the only point the game allows you to do that.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

It's an immense cocktease too. I was all excited by that and then the rest of the game is all locked doors that require "a key" for anything actually cool.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

i tried to interpret the wall paintings in the first dragon claw room and i was liking having to do it until i realized that was wrong and i just had to use the menu rotation, something resident evil 1 did better

if resident evil 1 did a puzzle mechanic better than your game you have failed as a game designer, and possibly failed the turing test

I'm still not sure what those paintings represent but I'm sure it's boring like the rest of the game.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I'd agree that the dungeons of morrowind are the weakest part of the game which is a shame. They are absolutely carried by the setting.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Robot Randy posted:

I always end up with 500/675 of my carry weight being random potions I never throw away because I might need it, prolly 75 points is actual gear and the last hundred is anything with a value >20

Lol if you don't have a suit of armor with carry weight buff so you can carry infinite piles of poo poo to throw into your hoarder house

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Kilroy posted:

Is there anything stopping me from taking 1.6.6, cutting out all the stupid 'game-balance' bullshit, and forking it into an 'Official Morrow-Imp Patch' or some such, and putting that on Nexus or Github or something? It doesn't seem to be actively maintained anymore, but if there is some clique of permanently butthurt losers who are going to threaten to take me to the Supreme Court for copyright infringement of a game mod, I guess I'd like to know that going in.

I think you are underestimating the outrageous amount of fluff these mod makers put into their patches.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Kilroy posted:

What are you talking about there's draugr, draugr wights, draugr deathlords, draugr death overlords, restless draugr, and so on...

What the gently caress happened to ogrim, ogres, winged twilights, whatever those meridia daedra are, etc. I'm super bummed too that yagrum bagarn hasn't shown up yet in anything (I never played dragon born dlc so sorry if any of these are in there).

Skyrim relied so heavily on boring rear end dragon fights that it forgot to populate the world with actual monsters.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

i kinda just assumed that morrowind was full of daedric ruins/daedra because daedra worship in morrowind is pretty mainstream, so people were throwing up non-euclidean hellbuildings and summoning little demons all over the place all the time. Plus Morrowind is full of assholes like when you pick up a diamond in a shrine and some dick has made it summon a dremora. in cyrodiil and skyrim they're all pussies who cant stop banging on about the nine/eight divines so there'es not as much stuff going on

i accept this is probably not the lore explanation.

If I recall correctly there are quite a few daedric ruins in skyrim. They just decided to populate them all with vampires and zombies instead of actual cool monsters.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

history is cyclical, the altmer win and go to aetherius and break time, and then they take the place of the dwemer in a new cycle where everyone wonders where they went and another race replaces them

From what I understand, this is the "big secret" hermaeus mora is keeping but it's only alluded to in weird stuff.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

i pulled that out of my rear end but that owns

The secret is that anti creation is actually a recursive thing that happens and unhappens. It might actually be Jyggalag" that holds that secret or something.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

The Real Foogla posted:

It would own if they did that like the dream quests and painting quest in Oblivion and Skyrim. Like, opposed to the first Alduin fight, which really should have been you failing at killing him, not some NPCs.

I've never heard of that but hosed up, if true

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Hail to the CHIM, baby

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

mysterious loyall Y posted:

you know it's a pro fan when they remember to include Vivec's hilarious bug-eye stare

im trying to figure out why sotha sil is so jacked, wasn't he a scrawny nerd who liked making robots?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

vivec's such a creepy piece of poo poo, gently caress him

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

Yeah, gently caress him hard!

Ungh!

i bet he's WAY too intense of a lover, they kind of guy who will gently caress you so hard against a wall your tits pop

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

That's the one

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Temaukel posted:

I preffer the bluer version

:milkfinger:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Robot Randy posted:

the west gash is really empty and boring. ive gone from caldera to maar gan to khuul, skirting around gnisis and theres been like 2 daedric shrines and a stronghold

e: just took out a vampire but the loot was poo poo

You aren't looking hard enough. There's tons of stuff to do in the gash.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

so here's my theory on what happened to the dwemer: the heart of lorkhan was actually filled with millions of ash yams and the dwemer made sunder and keening to open the heart to get to all them ash yams and then made a fortify intelligence by 48210284759102489439 for 18137583028465830183457 seconds and then they made a bunch of fortify acrobatics by 60393474839037583 for 3592935729102957393 seconds and all the dwemer drank the acrobatics potions and jumped all at once and they're still in the process of flying upwards to this day

See you later, Space Cowboys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

The whole dwemer ruin part of the main story in skyrim was such a tremendous bummer since they found a way to make such a cool place so bland and lifeless.

• Locked thread