Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

omg chael crash posted:

Remember when I said morrowblivion was better than MGO I was just as dumb ITT we can help this guy

Idk if this guy didn't get the blazingly obvious "prophecy is bullshit" theme the MQ kept pounding him with I think he's being pretty willfully contrary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Fargoth hate is dumb because you have to go out of your way to talk to him, the only real reason to dislike him is if you followed Morrowind before release and Todd "He Lied People Died" Howard talked up the Fargoth quest (and by extension the rest of Morrowind's quests) as much as he did Radiant AI, etc

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

New Vegas was the best actually narrative-driven Video Game Story we got in this generation and I'm looking forward to seeing what it inspires. Of course this is wishful thinking because there are people out there who thought Fallout 3 had better writing than New Vegas and these people are apparently the majority, what can you do.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

are you loving kidding me mate. How can you possibly justify this post

You're right I totally forgot about Uncharted But With Not Zombies, sorry bout that

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

If that's supposed to be The Last of Us, I thought that was shite too

ya you got it chief! :thumbsup: two posts in and you still haven't actually provided any example of what you might think is better so I'm gonna call your bluff

Seriously what else are even contenders? Gone Home was a really good and solid experiment, Alpha Protocol had a lot of interchangeable parts that actually came together, Spec Ops actually went out of the way to criticize shooters (Hotline Miami sorta did this from another angle), that's all I can really think of.

I guess when I think of NV's story I think of it as the best integrated with the world of the game itself, insofar as it creates an internally consistent and generally very thematically sound game. You can call ~ludonarrative dissonance~ on loving off and doing open world stuff but as far as a current gen game that actually gave a poo poo about creating a product that makes its themes not only clear to the player but also unified across the entire playtime NV really knocked it out of the park.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

What are NV's "internally consistent and generally very sound" themes, and how are they conveyed throughout the game? I did play it all the way up until the final battle and i'm struggling to think of any particular theme the game revolved around I'm p much always disappointed by CYOA type RPGs because those themes typically get lost in the name of player freedom, and I end up admiring the technical achievement of all those "interlocking parts" but not actually getting any lasting feeling or message out of the story. Linear but well-told thematically strong vidgame stories are often more enjoyable imo (unironically the story I enjoyed most in this console gen was Deadly Premonition, real Freudian clusterfuck of a plot that couldn't have been told better in any other medium)

I wouldn't claim Morrowind had a 'good story' either really, it had a great idea for one and a great setting but a lot of it was told by ferrying bits of paper back and forth

lmbo

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I was always a big fan of Balyn Omavel's house - he's outside it so you don't have to kill him, it has a kickass trapdoor on the roof to jump in through, and is just out of the way enough from the stores to feel ~special~.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

People are just conditioned to expect different things from a game now. See "WTF I saw my sword hit how come it says I missed"

That was standard in 2003 or whatever but now it's a horrible sin and allows people to fool themselves into thinking Oblivion's combat was a huge step up instead of a marginal improvement at best.

Nah it was weird as poo poo when Morrowind was new too. Dice rolls in combat weren't particularly new, but they were more expected out of games that are already pretty abstracted, like Neverwinter or other games that aren't first person, a genre that prides itself on being ULTRA REAL.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Hog Butcher posted:

is there a guaranteed hit mod that makes it so misses do 0 damage instead

it wouldn't really change anything except making combat a little more satisfying

This would be easy to pull off if it weren't for enchantments proccing on every hit. Maybe just replace all the whiff sounds with the hit sounds instead, same effect.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

How did you justify being in the Tribunal Temple and House Telvanni at the same time from an RP perspective

this is loving important

There are nonsecular scientists irl so it's basically the same thing isn't it?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't actually notice the jpeg artifacting on that screenshot until I looked at the UI, on his face it looks pretty indistinguishable from the vanilla game

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

i recently discovered that some people pronounce it "more-o-wind" instead of "mahr-o-wind" and that gets me PISSED!!!!!!!

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

All I'm saying is that you don't pronounce "tomorrow" like "tuh-more-oh" unless maybe you grew up in Michigan so why are you going to pronounce something with the same linguistic unit like this chucklefuck is getting paid to (~1:15ish for first occurrence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWXjzLEGV9U

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Beyond sane knolls posted:

It's "borrowing" with a m and a d.

GreatGreen posted:

The first syllable in Morrowind rhymes with "car."

y'all know what's up

if you're not goonsayin your heart out in the goonsay subforum why even bother

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Eruonen posted:

vuhvardenfell

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Corek posted:

Slavoj Vivec

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Dagoth Ur overrides that one though because he's the loving metaphysical center of the Universe you ignorant N'wah.

yeah but he was wrong about gettin owned (twice) so p sure the ownage cascades outward in everything he does

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Daedra is pronounced Day-Drah, not Dee-Drah. Get it right, nerds. I am the Morrowind king here, and what I say goes.

an old acquaintance insisted it was pronounced "deh-druh" but he ended up dropping out of high school because "getting my GED would be faster" so who knows

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Beyond sane knolls posted:

if talking out loud about morrowind is a big enough deal to you that you're concerned about pronunciation, you're garbage.

^^^ this!! XD

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

how do we pronounce 'jiub'? jee-uhb? jayub? jorb?

I think in Oblivion they pronounce it jee-uhb when he's sainted, and I assume you hear it again in Skyrim but I don't have any of the DLC for the latter and like hell am I going to play Oblivion not smashed and jokingly, so I dunno.

fake e: could go to youtube but ugh

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Whenever I brutally murder a horker in Skyrim, I'm reminded of their Bloodmoon model and how adorable they were :negative: Like lovely fur seal lamprey platypus abominations.

RIP Morrow-horker

I was beyond stoked to find out that Horkers were gonna be back in Skyrim until I saw one and found out they were just loving walruses. They didn't even bother reworking them, they just slapped a third tusk on a generic animal model and called it a day. Like I don't even care if something is blatant fanservice or not, it's just so weird to me that they'd take something that was already well-received for being unique and just go "how do we make this as generic as possible?"

I guess that's really my qualm with all of the post-MW ES titles though honestly

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Xbox version has cheats you can input with the Black and White buttons in order to recover your health/magic/stamina because there's no console to just turn on invincibility mode so that's a pretty great feature I'd say

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

In Xbox Morrowind the amount of stuff I had sold to Creeper got so big once that it took a good four minutes for his inventory to open.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Hog Butcher posted:

the xbox morrowind controls are actually really good for being a bethesda + xbox creation

i prefer the inventory management from it

Xbox Morrowind inventory was neat because you didn't have to drag every item over onto the paper doll in order to use it which is just a dumb as hell decision that is so very very "old PC game"y.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Is this a surprise to anyone though? I always thought the whole catch with Skywind wasn't that they were making a faithful recreation of Morrowind a la Morroblivion but doing a kind of semi-remake in the Skyrim engine.

Also lmfao at the unbearably shrill midi violin that kicks in at 1:16. SO EPIC.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Titty Warlord posted:

i hope you can turn the voice acting off, i really do

Same but also you know it's not gonna happen. Skywind has been a vanity project since day one.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

can't be worse than ESO, in which you can defeat and then cut Molag Bal in half with a loving sword given to you by Meridia.

http://youtu.be/cCZv590soek?t=12m55s

Oh wow that is terrible. I've seen critters with more emotive death animations than that.

e: Yo why the gently caress is Meridia going on about how admirable it is that you have the ~Fire of the Divines~ or whatever, she's a Daedra.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Frank Horrigan posted:

skooma is actually a gas, the bottles are pressurized. They twist the bottle into the bottom of the pipe and control the flow rate through a little valve on the bottom. Like a propane tank.

I'm okay with a game that has Cat Whippets.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

ESO is so bad that it can't even get licensed merchandise right goddamn

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

It's funny because if you follow the path north out of Solitude you crest a tiny hill and suddenly everything goes from "rocky shoreline" to "frozen, full-snow pine forest" with no middle ground. SUBTLETY

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Deadly Combat helps alleviate a lot of HP sponge issues, Immersive Armors adds a lot of really great looking stuff to the game, Winter Is Coming + Cloaks of Skyrim should have been vanilla content, Populated Cities + Lively Inns and Taverns makes settlements not feel like such ghost towns, and Climates of Tamriel + Immersive Saturation Boost will make the game all around more pretty.

Don't play Skyrim looking for more Morrowind, they're two games in entirely different genres at this point.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I thought they had 18 in Skyrim? And every dungeon was a lazy loop de loop in that game.

I never really got the problem with this. It wasn't like the design was actually affected by it in any capacity, since generally you just get spat out behind a secret wall that wasn't actually a loop in the map. It was a great way of saying "this dungeon is over" and saving the time going backwards through the big empty tomb you just walked through.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Man Whore posted:

also the layout for the dungeons was fine, it was the fact that all of them had one of 3 art styles that was poo poo. Is it a fort, ruin, or cave?
Like A lot of the dungeons had p cool poo poo but that doesn't keep me from noticing that I am killing draugr in a nordic ruin for the thousandth time.

Yeah pretty much. They really nailed the Dwemer ruins and the Falmer caves but the forts and normal caves are about as generic as they get, and the tombs being well-done only really makes them interesting for the first five or so rather than never.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Flaky posted:

Just the idea that you need an quick n' easy escape route from your dungeon probably means it was so poorly thought through/uninteresting in the first place as to render the whole exercise utterly absurd.

So dungeon crawling in general is a terrible idea then, got it.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Flaky posted:

It just suggests a kind of roboticism in the construction. Like go here, spend 25 minutes that is all beep boop your fun time is over. Like why not surprise me, and have a dungeon that is :supaburn:50 minutes long?:supaburn:

Okay, if you're arguing that time investment is a differentiating factor, that still exists in the game because, shocker, the dungeons come in different sizes! There are tiny little one-ledge-with-bear caves, forts like Faldar's Tooth where there are a few different ways to get through the dungeon to the bandit chief in the tower, Brittleshin Pass which is a tiny little cave that actually does spit you out somewhere different, "event" dungeons like the ones for the Gauldur Amulet quest or Ragnvald where you can take on either wing before the main hall's boss, and then the megadungeons - Blackreach and Labyrinthian - that you come back to a few times for various quests.

Having a way to get you back to the entrance without having to meander through empty space isn't any more robotic than having a dungeon end in a loot chest and then have you go back out without it. If you're more concerned about the impressions of sameyness it gives I think you're looking to the wrong design choice because there is a whole hell of a lot of stuff wrong with Skyrim that's samey and "saving time walking through empty space" isn't one of them.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

hailthefish posted:

At that point they might as well just give you a bunch of loot automatically and teleport you out.

*Kills necromancer in fancier robes and takes things from chest behind him, casts Recall* Ahhhh another great day of dungeon crawling in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind!

*Kills necromancer in fancier robes and takes things from chest behind him, walks through door that leads to dungeon entryway* HOG'S poo poo GAME DESIGN

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

an even worse idea is to have enchanted werewolf arrows with kinetic shots that turn anything they hit into a werewolf.

Pretty sure this is a power in E.Y.E.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Flaky posted:

I am sure this is the exact thought-process that went on at Bethesda. My point is that this is responding to a largely imaginary problem. Like I said, no-one complains about endlessly retracing their steps in earlier games. As far as I know, it is impossible in Morrowind because the distances are impractical and Mark/Recall exists. If it really was instead intended to offset the perception that oblivions dungeons were too samey, then it was merely inappropriate. The answer to that was and is to build interesting dungeons, rather than levelizing everything.

Disclaimer: You are right I didn't play Skyrim to anything like completion, or any of the expansions. Guess why!

ed.2: In fact I am not sure you are entirely right, because wasn't the transport carts like DLC or something? Certainly don't recall them from the release build.

Retracing steps was literally the third biggest complaint about Oblivion dungeons, right after the terrible loot and general boring design. Oblivion dungeons would be enormously long slogs through identical passageways that ended in a wet fart dead end, oftentimes without any 'boss' style creature, and almost never ever with any end-of-dungeon loot chest that wasn't the same wooden chest tucked in the corner of some rocks you've been looting the whole time, containing level-appropriate daggers and stamina potions. If you could figure out that this was supposed to be the end, you'd have to go all the way back through the long and lovely thing to get back outside. Literally the only thing differentiating Oblivion dungeons from the overworld was that there was a forced dead zone of backtracking after clearing out the enemies, since the loot was entirely indistinguishable. I guess mob density was a bit higher in dungeons, which is to be expected, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if just wandering the wilderness was a faster way of leveling in Oblivion than dungeon crawling.

While Skyrim's dungeons are certainly nothing to aspire to, they're all several orders of magnitude more interesting and creative than literally anything in Oblivion. More often than not I'll wander out of a Skyrim dungeon largely unimpressed, but every once in a while I'll think of something neat it did, or be heading to the next step of the quest it introduced me to, and I can't remember that ever happening in Oblivion, a game I've probably spent more time in than Skyrim.

Also, the carts were definitely in at vanilla because I've been using them almost exclusively since launch day. You can also take ships from Windhelm (and I assume Solitude) leading to any of the cities that can be reached by water, if you're so inclined.

Basically, what I'm hearing so far is that loop-endings are a symptom of a lot of other problems, which I will agree with, but I still haven't heard anything convincing that says that the looping itself is bad other than "because it reminds me of other reasons."

e: Like, seriously, if you can ever sum up the energy to play Skyrim again, I dare you to just walk all the way back whenever you kill the boss and tell me how quickly you get sick of it. Or, more accurately, cast Mark every time you go into one of Morrowind's larger-than-a-bandit-cave dungeons and then Recall when you're done with it and think about how convenient it is.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 26, 2014

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Flaky posted:

This may come as something of a surprise but I also didn't play much of Oblivion, maybe there is some similar reason why this was...

Heavy Lobster posted:

Basically, what I'm hearing so far is that loop-endings are a symptom of a lot of other problems, which I will agree with, but I still haven't heard anything convincing that says that the looping itself is bad other than "because it reminds me of other reasons."

You keep saying Skyrim Is Bad and I keep agreeing with you. This doesn't mean there can't be quality of life improvements in bad games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Flaky posted:

Because, therefore, once you have reached the end, that is indeed, the end, and not the beginning. Of something interesting.

:lol::lol:

• Locked thread