Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wyre Mash is the craziest poo poo ever and whoever invented it should never have to work another day in their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Pretty funny you guys are spoonfeeding this dude who clearly doesn't get the point of Morrowind which is that you will occasionally face poo poo that fucks you up if you are not prepared. Half the fun is finding out how to deal with it you know like a real puzzle.

People like Abandon are the reason modern games blow dongs.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I like how I got a save breaking error because I have 79/79 mods installed so mod managers may not detect that poo poo and Morrowind was like "Yeah here's the conflict dude here is the exact file causing it". Delete that file and BAM conflict resolved save works great.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Consequences for actions jesus christ this game is still better than any other drat RPG.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The Sharmat posted:

Is that the master Mysticism trainer? I didn't know you got hints like that in the journal.

Enchant but yeah. Hint might be a function of the mods? That would be 1980s adventure game esque if you killed him and it gave you no hints. If it wasn't a mod I would say they should have put some sort of note in there about the fact that you killed him. Maybe asking certain NPCs would unlock a quest chain to learn about him. Then like 4 hours later when you finished the quest you could go "oh @$@$!" and reload your save.

There do need to be more games that heavily discourage killing random individuals even if they attack you first though.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 1, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Half the fun of morrowind is finding creative ways to pawn your sacks full of loot to the poor rear end vendors though :colbert:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

thanks now I'm going to have to re-start the entire game over again because why didn't I think of that earlier

omae wa mo chimdeiru...

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Right so how long do I have to keep punching scribs until I can actually do damage to them?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Darknut is a great mod but god drat did that dude whack off to Zork style adventure game puzzles that give you no hints. So you run around for like an hour or two just searching and re-searching the poo poo you've been through for 4 hours just to look it up online and find out he designed it so the game will not let you advance through some of the ruin without going to another location entirely which is hinted at in no way. So basically the game becomes a trial and error fest where you're never quite sure if you're doing the right thing or the mod is bugged or what.

Finding the golden balance between interesting puzzles and just making stuff super frustrating can be tough but drat dude.

I may have sold a necessary item to a vendor while screwing around in the ruin earlier and have no way of knowing where in the game world it might be :psyduck:. There's also a lot of "Touch X thing and you die instantly" in Darknut's that seems to exist solely to annoy the player. He also specifically stated skipping any stages would wreck all the scripts in place rendering the dungeon unable to complete.

There's a lot of decent concept behind this but like many mods it goes to the modder's head a bit too much. With great ambition and dedication comes great sperging. I hate to bitch up a storm but the mod has put me through a ton of frustration in terms of the way it creates a ton of artificial difficulty that rather than rewarding the clever player rewards the player who is extremely focused on every little tiny minute detail and happened to have the right stats to counter the traps.

Sotha Sil Expanded seems to do a much better job of the whole puzzles n' exploration thing.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 7, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
chameleon is dumb and real stealthmans patiently wait for guards to move away from the redoran treasury vaults

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yeah if I had to think of what it felt like Darknut's Greater Dwemer ruins feels like a D&D DM trolling you the whole way. In some ways that can be pretty fun because it actually challenges you to think about your situation and what the possible solutions could be. That and spam the action key on walls like you're playing Doom.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Finally managed to push my way through Darknut's Greater Dwemer Ruins. It's definitely a challenging mod requiring the player to do some abstract thinking and harkens back to late 80s early 90s adventure games where certain objects must be activated to complete puzzles to progress in the ruins. It certainly has some flaws in terms of the modder being a bit too self-important but if you can get beyond that it really adds a lot of interesting content to vemynal, odrosal, and dagoth ur. Some of the mechanics are hackneyed and dumb (insta-deaths from taking the wrong path or activating the wrong thing) but if you can tolerate them it's worth downloading the mod. Cheating through TCL, etc. will break the mod's scripts so try not to use them. The only "cheat" I would implement when using this mod is get the item ID for the oil that allows some of the stuck cranks to be used. Then again I'm not a big fan of scavenger hunting for items.

The thing to remember when playing DGDR is that there is always a way past the puzzles (except for one where you have to grab an item and get out before an exit is blocked), just get creative and try not to get frustrated. For every frustrating dumb mechanic there are two or three really neat puzzles or environments. The neatest thing is there isn't a walkthrough online so you're forced to figure out his puzzles. So much is added to the ruins you might even find yourself getting lost. Despite being rough around the edges DGDR is a must play for any fans of complex dungeon crawling.

Going to be playing Sotha Sil Expanded next and I'll write up a trip report on that.

bonzibuddy64 posted:

propylon index

DGDR adds a neat version of the propylon index but for dwemer ruins because they're just so big with the mod it helps to have a central navigation system

Robot Randy posted:

e: just took out a vampire but the loot was poo poo

Call me a dingleberry but Morrowind isn't a game about loot.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 5, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's certainly tough to make puzzles and dungeons that are interesting rather than tedious. It seems modders often conflate tedium and finding the one random object that will allow the player to progress for enjoyable gameplay hours.

I was more hoping SSE would add jumping puzzles, amazing new environments, inventive boss fights, etc. rather than DGDR style stuff.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
gently caress gedna relvel

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The entire point of Tribunal is to throw enemies at you that will really gently caress your poo poo up regardless of your stats. Like the 6 liches all who summon bonewalkers who then spam damage strength while the liches throw lightning balls at you all over the place. Having all of the skeletons resist cold and all the goblins resist fire is a punch in the dick too. The insta-kill black darts are pretty wild as well.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
One should install Sotha Sil Expanded purely because vanilla clockwork city is the biggest drat joke ever. Also what the gently caress is up with modders doing their own self insert voice acting. No Trainwiz, your nerdy rear end voice doesn't sound like Sotha Sil should thanks for trying stick to writing dialogue instead. Darknut baked a horrible Dagoth Ur re-voice into GDR as well. I know there's no QA because it's just an individual modder but jesus christ these guys must be near deaf to thank it's a good idea to put really bad voice acting into their mods.

Shame too because the environment design in SSE is loving amazing and he did a really good job but the self voice insert is the most cringey thing.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 16, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bolverkur posted:

b-but... they made it really big and epic, the way it was meant to be :qq:

This but unironically.

Also much like DGDR the puzzles are nothing compared to late 80s early 90s adventure games gamers these days just don't have the patience to go exploring or backtracking.

If anything was "bugged" in SSE or DGDR I'm guessing the scripting broke because you TCL'd past a puzzle or otherwise used console commands. You can also bug out many quests in Morrowind by using console commands so their mods aren't any worse.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 16, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/23746/

I need a mod that makes the Morrowind spell casting or ranged using AI not dumb as a brick. Morrowind's biggest weakness is its poo poo combat as I'm sure this thread knows.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
:justpost:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

There's at least one puzzle involving lights where he gave the light textures the same name as a resource in the vanilla install and as a result the lights don't change colors when you pull switches, making it literally unsolvable. You have to rename the stock texture file to proceed, but this breaks lights in the rest of the game.

Are you using the Mar 8th, 2014 2.0 Edition?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The ending of the words is ORGASM.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qIGctGFoyU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
modding is just taking a game to the next level, maybe you just can't handle the next level

• Locked thread