Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distortoise
Dec 29, 2013

Morrowind was all right, but ES fanboys are some of the worst out there, even as far as fantasy brats go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distortoise
Dec 29, 2013

The Civil War sideplot was so terribly uninteresting because of how it forced you to pick a side. You're the closest thing this culture has to the second coming of Jesus Christ if Jesus Christ slew dragons and breathed fire (and this entire civil started in the first place over banning the worship of Dragon Jesus Christ) but you can't rally your own troops and roll the opposition's heads yourself? Ulfric gets by merely on the rumours of being a dragonborn and you could march in, vaporize him by shouting at him and declare yourself king and take the war to the Thalmor yourself.

Distortoise
Dec 29, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

Apparently the Civil War questline was supposed to be way more involved, with a dynamic city battle system where you could actually gain and lose ground over time. But Bethesda cut that all because lol effort.
Is there a similar excuse behind why the ending to the main plotline was so appallingly poo poo by chance? Where you curbstomp Alduin in under a minute in Sovngarde with the three random fucks from the flashback who then almost sarcastically clap for you before the big guy comes in and goes "RIGHT THAT'S DONE YOU GO HOME NOW" and that's it?

Distortoise
Dec 29, 2013

Stalins Moustache posted:

when I went to solstheim in skyrim i was actually sad because I could see the red mountain of morrowind and i was thinking to myself "gently caress you bethesda" :goonsay:
You can see it from Skyrim. Actually if you noclip out of the Skyrim map proper a weird amount of the continent is actually fleshed out in low resolution, even that big ivory tower from Oblivion.

Distortoise
Dec 29, 2013

I don't remember if this was a problem with Morrowind, but in Skyrim I would often stumble in to some random interesting place I found (or, you know, a hallway) and reach the end only to find out tha I was supposed to have found this place via a quest given somewhere else entire, usually a nearby town. I remember finding one place that I got to the end of and discovering I was supposed to have gone here with a random plot trinket called a Lexicon I would have gotten from some random gently caress in town. It basically put you in the mindset of ignoring discovered ruins until you are supposed to go to them by way of arbitrary instruction.

That's not what ruins should be like. They should be interesting locales in their own right that you can then explore upon finding yourself and find within whatever purpose they serve.

Distortoise
Dec 29, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

It's just not the same without the sound effect of him falling.

http://youtu.be/iJq0iXOwb9Y?t=23s
AIEEG HUEHUAHUE! AIUUEH

Distortoise
Dec 29, 2013

naem posted:

what the heck do you do in a cave boss fight as a stealth archer lol
Shoot arrows at it. Archery was probably the most overpowered combat approach in Skyrim.

Distortoise
Dec 29, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

switch skyrim and oblivion. fighting your way into valhalla and killing a soul eating dragon was cool looking at least
gently caress no it wasn't. It could have been, on paper, but the fight itself completely poo poo all over itself. You curbstomp the dragon in under a minute, get an almost sarcastic set of golf claps from the three stooges that elected to help and then Conan the Barbarian marches up, claps his hands and goes "right, that's your lot, go home now mortal and keep an eye out for DLC $20 each coming soon! *poof*

Distortoise
Dec 29, 2013

smokyprogg posted:

oblivion encourages not leveling up for fucks sake
HOW DO YOU MESS THAT UP, BETHESDA

i like that lightning spell where if you get it at too high a level, costs twice the max magicka you can possibly obtain
And Skyrim discourages exploration, as discussed earlier in how you can routinely stumble into a dungeon to discover you weren't supposed to be there yet until you got the required plot coupon from some other location.

"Am I supposed to be here yet?" is not a train of thought that should ever cross the player's mind in an open world game. If it does, somebody hosed up on the "open" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distortoise
Dec 29, 2013

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

There was a Daedra in Morrowind who threatened to gently rape your corpse and I always wondered how that got past the teen rating.
Oblivion got one too despite a common decal in that game being a person hung upside down that had been disemboweled out of his dickhole. They eventually changed it to M under the lovely excuse that the PC version had titty mods since they thought that sounded better than "we couldn't be arsed to play far enough into the game to see the gory pits of hell the game is themed around."

• Locked thread