Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lol you guys are hosed when that volcano erupts

if anyone's looking for a job in skyrim i could use a new maid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cannot Find Server posted:

i never cared much about the story or even the quests, since morrowind's strengths are in getting lost in the wilderness and exploring caves and poo poo.

The same is true of skyrim but the existence of fast travel kind of railroads you into doing as little exploring as possible. It's a lot more fun to replay imo if you use an alternate start mod and disable fast travel because there's a lot of loving wilderness and caves and there's some really goofy poo poo off the beaten path and in the random encounters.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i already don't use any fast travel aside from the caravans and don't need mods for it because self control is a thing. the only real downside is how enemies have so much drat health, so walking from point a to point be is always extended by several minutes because i ran into a bear that took 30 hits to kill. the combat in skyrim is so fuckin annoying and unfun, worse than morrowind.

well an alternate start mod will start you somewhere else in the world with assets/faction standings appropriate to some other situation and most importantly postpones the main questline until you want to start it, which is cool because then you can actually buy a horse and it won't constantly get ganked by dragons. The one I used last lets you choose between a few backgrounds like owning property in a hold or having been robbed and left for dead in the middle of nowhere and then you can just play it by ear wherever you wind up.

I only used a mod to disable fast travel because that mod was Frostfall which adds another dimension to the exploration anyway. I'd also recommend Realistic Needs and Diseases which meshes well with Frostfall. It's pretty dumb to be anti-mod because there are some great mods for things like racials and perks/skills and spells which are better thought out than what shipped with the game and add a lot of depth that's missing otherwise.

Also I'm pretty sure the first mod I ever got for a game was the one that made the cliff racers passive so i know my poo poo

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 10, 2014

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I remember one game after I'd maxed out all my primary stats as a sneaky bastard I joined whatever vampire clan gave the best bonuses to acrobatics and whatnot, since vampirisim could raise those stats past 100. I also found am amulet on some Tribunal quest NPC with enough health regen on it to go out in the daylight. That was the playthrough where I tried to kill everyone in the game; with the ridiculous athletics/acrobatics I remember jumping on and off of the tall 2-3 story roofs in Caldera as I kited the guards around picking off loners. I killed everyone on the west coast, but burned out when I got to vivec because I mean that poo poo's just unreasonable. Too many doors

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 11, 2014

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Emasculator posted:

To mod Morrowind is heresy. It is your duty to appreciate this gem in its original format, modified only by its expansion packs and the Bethesda-released free content.

step 1 to morrowind is passive cliff racers mod

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Also the Killable Children mod because not being able to molest or decapitate ten-year-olds just like the adults RUINS MY IMMERSION!!!

Like you never wanted to murder the mick and ralph's crier in new vegas

we've got stuff we aren't even allowed to sell, people! :happyelf:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

oblivion was ok until you realized there wasnt anymore to it and that everybody was pie faced

also if you never went into more than 1 cave

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

best major skill is acrobatics because jump jump jump

this and also the city of vivec is the best acrobatics trainer in the game

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

yesterday I tried to play skywind but when I got off the boat everyone but the guards was naked, went to balmora and same thing, and the guards kept yelling at me to put some clothes on like I was the pervert (I was wearing a shirt at least)

it was like a bad dream

installing Morrowind Overhaul 3 now instead, lets do this

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

:stare:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

JustTerrible posted:

Yeah, true. I tried playing F3 last year, every time I play that game it seems to decide on one specific point where it will always, ALWAYS crash.

at least with NV the crashing is generally random.

There's also a NVSE plugin to further reduce crashing http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635/

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i just printed the morrowind map because mine is lost to time

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

just go play morrowind again. vanilla

realtalk Morrowind Overhaul is treating me pretty well so far, it bundles together sounds/textures wiith all of hte bugfixes and patches and the graphics updates and poo poo and installs them correctly in the right order and sets up the load order and poo poo so you can just start playing vanilla+ without crashing or hurting your eyes or having to read a guide or do poo poo manually. Unless you're actually playing on an antique computer this probably the most painfree way to do it

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 13, 2014

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

After looting the redoran vault I am off for the first time in more than a decade to find the mudcrab

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

i had to use a functioning morrowind google maps to find him. once you know where he is its not too bad. finding him for the first time is a pain

I remember the first time I went looking for the mudcrab it turned out I'd murdered him at some point for being a mudcrab so I had to load up the TES construction set and add another mudcrab to that island.

Also I took some more MO screens while I was in vivec

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

If you have the patience to manually install every mod, Knots's guide will give you better results.

MO also has the benefit of being 1 torrent that will download really fast without having to download anything individually from nexus

Well it took me reconfiguring overhaul like 10 times to finally get settings that both looked good and played at a respectable FPS, so I think this probably depends on your PC. If you have a fuckoff gamer rig it'll serve you fine, whereas in my case it would have taken far less time to just do it myself.

MO holds your dick through all of the performance tuning. Having previously been through the reconfiguring-10-times procedure I don't think I'd never not just go with MO at this point.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 14, 2014

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

long blades are best because once you have sneak and long blades maxed out and a big daedric sword you'll just one shot poo poo all day long when you break stealth and also when you are too lazy to stealth with the default swing that doesnt require you to love to set it up

just trained long blades all the way up in one stop at the trainer on my monk because punching poo poo to death gets old and also im rich, poo poo is getting silly

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lol if you even wear armor

real pros max out unarmored and wear nothing but the finest silks

"I see from your outfit that your affairs have prospered."

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

protip to combat slowness: press q to autorun, smoke weed

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 16, 2014

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sex Hobbit posted:

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Three blessings, sera.

Outlander. WHAT do you WANT?!

"we're watching you, SCUM"
"let's not make this official, outlander"

*literally looting the vault right in front of them, making return trips to mudcrab all the ebony*

Vivec 911

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

why the hell aint they released Morrowind on mac yet. poo poo was ported to xbox

lol

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

should have saved $1000 and got a ballin windows machine instead if you wanted to play games

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

im talking in 2002 language bud. there was halo to be played and i guess ill pick up this weird morrowind game cause its only 15 bucks used

my answer is timeless though

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

That one wizard in the cave outside Seyda Neen :negative:

you can easily kill the first guard and free the slaves and then gently caress off without alerting the wizard

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Yeah I guess if you're some kind of scrub.

naturally you can go back when you're not fresh off the boat from imperial prison and introduce that uppity gently caress to your daedric daikatana

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

3) If you're not using a multiple mark/recall mod, you can actually do a lot of travelling between regular mark/recall, normal fast travelling with NPCs, and Almsivi and Divine Intervention.

I just wanted to point out that lazymode fast travel is the worst thing that ever happened to TES because morrowind has all the tools you need to get around quickly when you need to (like if you need to bail out of a dungeon to fix something/restore your attributes so you can walk again and then return, or to get back to the questgiver quickly) but you actually need to have some situational awareness and think about divine vs almvisi, where your boats/silt striders/propylons are, and whether or not you can shortcut over the mountains with levitation. After Morrowind they just got lazy and it just makes the world feel small as hell (despite oblivion and Skyrim being way bigger than Morrowind) because you can always get anywhere instantly from anywhere with no thought or planning or cost or anything. Even when it's a short trip in morrowind you're going to have to think about the map and where you are and where you want to be and how things link together with the various systems and it makes things feel a lot more big and immersive.

size reference

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 17, 2014

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Elman posted:

Did anyone ever use the propylons? I played for the longest time without knowing they existed, but even now they seem way too out of the way to be worth it since there are so many easy ways to travel around anyway.

I did back in the day but I don't remember where the indeces are and I haven't looked it up. They're not convenient but those things are all over and "out of the way" is exactly where you need some fast travel (even if it's just going to put you within intervention range of your temple of choice)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Really we should just think of Oblivion as a very early alpha of skyrim sort of like FO3 :: new vegas (but somehow worse)

copypasting the same layout to every cave is just the icing on the cake in terms of making you not want to explore anything ever

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 17, 2014

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Winter Fresh posted:

people still play this poo poo game lmao

this guy likes titanfall lmao

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Caius's old house is still my gooncave. The chest is full and there's extra daedric/ebony poo poo scattered all over the floor. :effort:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Anders Breivik

Jon Nödtveidt

quote:

On the 13th of August 2006, Nödtveidt was found dead in his apartment in Hässelby, a suburb of Stockholm, by an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound inside a circle of lit candles.[5]

Early reports indicated that he was found with an open copy of the Satanic Bible, but these were later dismissed by Dissection's guitarist Set Teitan. According to him, "it's not any atheist, humanist and ego-worshiping The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey that Jon had in front of him, but a Satanic grimoire. He despised LaVey and the 'Church of Satan'."[6]

The said "Satanic grimoire" is reputed to be the Liber Azerate, one of the publishings of the Misanthropic Luciferian Order, from which Nödtveidt apparently was influenced, his last album Reinkaos's lyrics being co-written by the very same man who wrote the Liber Azerate.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 18, 2014

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Crassius Curio is a creep

no Crassius I will not call you uncle

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

Khajiits are pretty rad. Only bad thing about them is that they looked like poo poo visually until Skyrim.

If you're gonna play a khajiit in sjyrim this is a proclick http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/14513/

The best part is that whenever you have the opportunity to refuse to help a dark elf you can call them out for khajiit slavery on morrowind

e: also a khajiit was a good choice for MO because that poo poo gets dark with the shader mods and they get racial night vision, also who needs some speed boots when you start with acrobatics 50

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 18, 2014

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

Everyone has that key. You're not special.

To be honest he probably only has the downstairs key :smug:

Last night I made a ring with 24% CE chameleon and it's hilarious because if I attack the guards and then crouch in front of them they all take off running away from me in different directions

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

bobthedinosaur posted:

Thanks to this goddamned thread I got morrowind on steam. I'm having some weird issue where it resets everything back to default every new time I start the game. I'm talkin' hotkeys, volume levels, etc all back to factory pre-sets. Kind of annoying. Anyone else run into that issue?

try running as administrator, assuming steam is installed in program files

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

you'd need to port the zoidberg mudcrabs to morrowind first

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Morrowind's theft system was pretty great. People recognize their own stuff, and guards take stolen crap for balance purposes if they catch you, but otherwise the smith in Balmora will buy the sword you stole in Vivec no problem.

Oblivion removed that in favor of 'you can only sell stolen stuff to fences,' but I think a hybrid in which 'you can only sell stolen valuable or unique items to fences, otherwise nobody knows your random iron sword is stolen.'

That would require a lot of hand placed unique stuff in rich people's houses for thieves to steal though I guess.

this is wrong

once you steal a diamond from that altmer oval office in balmora you can't sell her any diamond ever until the end of time or she thinks it's her poo poo and attacks you

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

apparently I stole some soul gems from the mages' guild at some point because whenever I try to pawn this crap everyone in the building attacks me and I get kicked out of the guild

loving commies, how am I supposed to keep track of what I stole from who 50 levels ago

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

You mean the code patch to let you press R to just cast, right? I would never, ever play Morrowind without that again. It makes magery so gimped when you have to stand there with your hands out like a total nob for a few seconds before being able to cast a fireball. It's not even ticked by default iirc so seriously if anyone's playing without this, rerun your Code Patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mortimer posted:

Morroblivion sucks, you can get the same view distance with MGSO. The oblivion engine makes me gag with how not fun it is to play. OG morrowind or norrowind at all :colbert:

I tried morroblivion once and every shop door was locked because of stupid half implemented radiant AI bullshit

• Locked thread